40/44 tech and buy sell swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electromotive

We have been running this ignition for a number of years. Anyone that buys it will be very happy with the performance.
    Keith Kampen

Comment

• Alan sent you a PM
      Art

Comment

• Ck your Pm Alan new message.
        Art K

Comment

• Electromotive System

Doug has been making good progress with the ignition installation. We will have the wiring done today and the last major item to fabricate is the magnetic pickup mount. If you have any comments please let me know.

Alan
          Attached Files
          Last edited by OldRacerBU; 12-12-2013, 02:14 PM.

Comment

• The mounting looks good like I knew it would coming from Doug. My question is could the box be mounted in the boat so that you could run different motors using 1 box and just buy the coils and pickup for each motor. This would save the cost of a box for each motor.

Larry Mac

Comment

• Originally posted by Larry M View Post
              The mounting looks good like I knew it would coming from Doug. My question is could the box be mounted in the boat so that you could run different motors using 1 box and just buy the coils and pickup for each motor. This would save the cost of a box for each motor.

Larry Mac
              That's a good idea Larry plus you would not have as much vibration
              Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

• Their is plenty of wire to do that. Only thing that worries me is the plug has the thin wire like pin connectors. I just wonder if it would stand up to the repeated connecting & disconnecting. Their is quite a few wires in that connector. One bad connection could screw things up. That is the only reason we never tryed it.
                Art K

Comment

• Electromotive System Mounting

Hi Larry,
                  Our plan is to look at the boat mounted XDI box after we have the first units running. It should not be a huge change for us. The issue will be to get the correct plug and wire harness made. The XDI box has a 21 pin connector of which we will be using 10 to connect coils, power and sensor. I believe if we keep the tachometer lead the count will be 11. I don't believe line length will be an issue from reading the tech data. One other issue is the 21 pin connector is water proof so you need to keep that connection dry. Could possibly install another inline connector on the engine close to the throttle hookup.

Alan
                  Last edited by OldRacerBU; 12-12-2013, 04:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by OldRacerBU View Post
                    Hi Larry,
                    Our plan is to look at the boat mounted XDI box after we have the first units running. It should not be a huge change for us. The issue will be to get the correct plug and wire harness made. The XDI box has a 21 pin connector of which we will be using 10 to connect coils, power and sensor. I believe if we keep the tachometer lead the count will be 11. I don't believe line length will be an issue from reading the tech data. One other issue is the 21 pin connector is water proof so you need to keep that connection dry. Could possibly install another inline connector on the engine close to the throttle hookup.

Alan
                    Alan, I am very interested in the system, so when you get some kind of price for the setup, please let me know..........I would also prefer to mount the XDI box in the boat, so would not need the engine mount for it...........thanks.....

PS: those look more like CDM's versus coils..
                    Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

• We have had our XD1 mounted on the engine for the past 3 yrs. with no problems. We did mount it on isolators though. Just a thought the XD1 box has just 4 fasteners. It would be just as easy to remove it and install on another engine as having it in the boat.
                      Art K

Comment

• Vibration

COOL, but to - -

My old engineering eye - -

The entire coil plate should be mounted on rubber standoffs similar to the ones used to hang the cowlings on stockers - the way its set up now it wouldn't last long, it will fatigue the solid standoffs.

Turning 8000 RPM, 4 cylinders, 24,000 cycles per minute!

I think this would probably be a box killer as well, I'd be in favor of a boat mount.

Been there, done that with the battery CD systems used on OMC V4's 1967 - 72. On the X-115 and KC13R we had a lot of pack failures 'til I rubber mounted them.

There is a "standard" ferrite core coil used on about a trillion OMC motors, its only about 24 bucks retail. Hows that vs the coils being used here?

Comment

• Mounting

I conversation with Electromotive they are not worried about vibration. Their big concern is to keep the temperature below 180 degrees. We will be vibration isolating the system though. I like Art's idea. I am sure we can make a quick release setup to move the XDI box from engine to engine. That way we don't have to deal with a large wire harness.
                          The coils that come from Electromotive are used in other applications i.e. the mercury V-6 on some models. They are not overly expensive. I like to have the manufacture supply the complete system. Their unit is matched to their components. Power draw, impedance and so on come in to play when we deal with an electronic system. Although the OMC coils might work I am sure it will void their warranty. This first system is to do some testing and make sure we understand the setup. Once that is done we will finalize the production configuration. Vibration wise were looking at only 400Hz (24,000 RPM) which is very low for an electronics if the amplitude is very low. From my engineering days for Northrop Grumman and deeply involved in environmental testing of electronics my feeling is that we will not have an issue.

Alan
                          Last edited by OldRacerBU; 12-13-2013, 03:01 PM.

Comment

• Electromotive System Mounting

Doug has just about finished everything needed for the Electromotive system. The magnetic sensor mount has been designed and mounted on the mockup block and will soon be set back for installation on one of our D engines. Hope you like the photos.

Alan
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Where are you going to mount the box on 500 that has the brackets up on top of the block?

Comment

• I'm not well educated in the do's & don'ts of 44's.

This looks real cool.

Why go to all this trouble when you can run the Merc electronic ignition with the distributor and battery?

Tim
                                Tim Weber

Comment

Working...
                                X