40/44 tech and buy sell swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40/44 tech and buy sell swap

We have started a new Forum just for the 40/44 thunderbolt motors. After the interest and response from the D Mod step by step build and the Budget build of one of these motors we thought a forum for just these motors and the D mod class was appropriate.

Some folks said it would be nice if some of the senior folks pass on some of there experience and knowledge. Also we want parts for these motors to be accessible thru this forum either by buying and selling or swapping.

In the two months that I have been working on this project I have been able to come up with two motors to rebuild so the motors are still around. Now we just need all the options for serious got fast reliable motors. Also good old stories of the past are welcome.

To get new folks interested it would be great to start off right and learn some of the pitfalls to avoid. We are never to old to learn. Have fun and help the new guy
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Will this forum also include the equipment needed to fully assemble a complete motor (i.e. tower, gearbox, ect.) or just the powerheads, thanks.
    Gardner Miller
    Lone Star Outboard Racing Association

"Water is for racing. Asphalt is for the parking lot."
    Rember....Freedom isn't...."Free".......

Comment

Originally posted by PROPDOC View Post
      Will this forum also include the equipment needed to fully assemble a complete motor (i.e. tower, gearbox, ect.) or just the powerheads, thanks.
      We want this to include everything from the gear foot up including props, boat, tower, power head, fuel tanks, different ignitions and anything else I might have forgot. Basically if you want to run a 40/44 merc and all you have is green backs in your pocket where do you go from nothing to running in the class at a race.

Comment

Frank Erion has durable, exact reproduction gears.

fderion@msn.com

(269) 720-1337

Comment

44XS Powerhead Build Instructions.doc 44XS Powerhead Recommended Parts List.doc Here is a lot of info that Jerry Wienandt sent me to post. There is a lot of infomation on the powerheads.

Comment

44XS PARTS-Master List.pdf 44XS PARTS-Master List edited for Mod.pdf Motor Build Sheet.pdf Copy of 44XS Dry Out Instructions-Dumped Motor.pdf Basic Principles.pdf 44XS Torque Chart.pdf Here are some more documents that Jerry has been knd enough to share. This is all good info like what we are looking for. And of coarse picture are alway useful!

Comment

44 Ignition

Over the years I have built a lot of four cyl. Mercs. The one thing that most people have trouble with is ignition. The old magnetos usually are a big problem to the inexperienced builder. Mag setup is like a black art. Some can do it some cannot. Took me sometime to master. I would advise a new builder to consider using the later style Thunder Bolt system or a aftermarket unit from Roskowski. We have switched to a system from Electromotive Ignitions. We have found this system to be dependable, and it has alot of advantages, such as a completely programmable ignition curve,easy to start, no more fouled plugs. The disadvantage it is not cheap. Racing to win is not cheap. I am presently putting their newest unit on one of our 44s. Will post photos when I complete it. I do have about 6 Mags setup and ready to go at a reasonable price if anyone needs them.
              Art K

Comment

Art, where did you get you system and which one is it? This is the web site I found:

http://www.distributorless.com/index.php

Comment

Electomotive ignition

They do have a web site. Phone #703 331 0100 ext.217 ask for Uwe, funny name but very knowledgable. This is not a simple bolt on project, lots of fabricating. Lot of wiring. I am using the XD1 system. Be sure to tell him that it is a 2cycle.
                  Art K

Comment

This is the other ignition system thst Art is also talking about by Steve Roskowski.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Who out there does the machine work to modify these motors. East coast, west coast and central folks? Complete rebuilds?

Comment

44XS Build Instructions

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
                        Here is a lot of info that Jerry Wienandt sent me to post. There is a lot of infomation on the powerheads.
                        Ummm, yes, but I should mention that the 44XS Build Instructions are a work in progress. There is more to add to this document when I get time.

Meanwhile, have at it. Much of this info applies to any of the 30, 40, and 44 Mercs.

Hope this info helps.

Stay tuned for updates.

Jerry Wienandt
                        Trident Racing

Comment

Three Wienandt Built 55 H's for Sale

I have Two 40 c.i. and one 44 c.i. Bluprinted powerheads built for me by Jerry to the specs and with the correct parts for the 44 as detailed in his write up. Also have a complete file on each powerhead with asembly pix and Jerry's droll coments as he proceded thru the machining and asembly. He even named them, "Old Standby", "Booger", and "Super Thunderbolt". They are all mounted on fully restored 55 H towers with rebuilt gearcase with all new components. All are Perfect and strong runners, not just show motors. After 58 years with racing boats the Doc said to slow down. I also have many rebuilt or new 55 H gaskets, mags, cone nuts, Hansen 1:1 gears, cowlings and pans, and more. Send me a E mail and I'll send you a attachment with a detail sheet and price list of items I have for sale. Thanks for looking. Jon K Walters walters@plantationcable.net
                          Attached Files
                          Jon Walters

Comment

Jon, very nice looking motors and I bet they get up and go.

Comment

Parts

We have driveshafts, water pumps, prop bearing carrier and cone nuts availalble. Visit our web site at Aeroliner-Boats.com for pictures of the parts and contact info.

Doug Kay does superb work on the Mod engines his contact info is also on our links/contacts page.
                              David

Comment

Working...
                              X