No announcement yet.

40/44 tech and buy sell swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks interesting and fairly simple except for mounting it.. I am sure Doug will make it look pretty
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

• I am building some new motors now and am definitely interested. Much simpler than the Merc cdi and distributor. Hopefully there is a tach that will work with this? Let me know when you have it mounted @ ssawyer@macaljon.com

Comment

• Electromotive System Mounting

Last night I spent a little time coming up with one possible mounting for the Electromotive XDI ignition system. The concept pictured shows a single sheet of 1/8 inch aluminum with two bends so that the assembly can be mounted over the water jacket cover using the same fasteners that hold it on. The four coils fit in the pockets on the fuel pump side and the XDI brain mounts on the top. The design goal is to minimize the wiring harness that is required and only have to mount 3 components to install the system. The other two are the modified flywheel and the timing sensor which is planned for the starter mounting holes or as an option on the mag hanger.

Alan
        Attached Files

Comment

• It will be nice if it is easy to swap to another power head for those occasional failures..

Comment

• Electromotive System Mounting

Hi Mike,
            The design goal is to be able to install a complete system on an engine within one hour. The coil and brain will be completely wired and will attach with six bolts. The sensor is mounted with two bolts and wiring to the brain is a snap connector. What is remaining is to pull the flywheel and install the one with the timing wheel. It is assumed that the boat is ready to run with the ignition system. That means the kill switch and battery are already installed.

Alan

Comment

• Electromotive System

The XDI unit has the capability of driving most standard types of tachometers along with other outputs.
              Alan

Try here for info: http://www.electromotive-inc.com/pdf...xdi_manual.pdf
              Last edited by OldRacerBU; 12-05-2013, 04:51 PM.

Comment

• Keep in mind that a lot of us use the Merc 500 flywheel that has the internal threads for pulling and 8 holes for mounting the pulley

Comment

• Flywheel

Thanks for the input. Our plan is to mount the timing wheel 5/16" above the existing belt drive pulley. The wheel will be machined to the same diameter as the cog pulley. It will clear the upper end cap bolts and not interfere with the way you have to pull the flywheel. To assemble the unit it will be pressed on at the correct location and then welded in place. The wheel is 5" in diameter. We will post photos as we make progress on the design. Our intent is to have the buyer provide the flywheel he is using and we will mount the wheel.
                  Alan

Comment

• Ignition wires

Working through the design for the Electromotive ignition system and reading their instructions carefully I find that they recommend resistor core wire. I contacted Magnacor and discussed the availability of wires for our application. The out come of the discussions will allow us to offer premade ignition wire in 8mm fabricated to the exact length we need made in the USA. They will have the HEI boot on one end and the plug boot on the other. Right now the wire length looks like it will be about 7 inches. Believe the color will be blue.

Alan

Comment

• Originally posted by OldRacerBU View Post
                      Working through the design for the Electromotive ignition system and reading their instructions carefully I find that they recommend resistor core wire. I contacted Magnacor and discussed the availability of wires for our application. The out come of the discussions will allow us to offer premade ignition wire in 8mm fabricated to the exact length we need made in the USA. They will have the HEI boot on one end and the plug boot on the other. Right now the wire length looks like it will be about 7 inches. Believe the color will be blue.

Alan
                      Sounds like I need to sell first born for this baby

Comment

• System

Mike,
                        Might also have to include you new dog!

Alan

Comment

• Originally posted by OldRacerBU View Post
                          Mike,
                          Might also have to include you new dog!

Alan
                          I would not need ignition system them.. I would be 6 feet under!!!

Comment

• Electromotive System

Doug Kay has made great progress in getting the first setup fabricated. We are going to try the smaller timing gear (3.5") us 5" to save a little weight and simplify the installation. Right now were getting ready to wire up the system and weld up the flywheel. We thinking of offering a full kit where the buyer will do the final wiring and some minor metal cutting to mount the coils. We will provide the modified flywheel on an exchange basis and all the electrical items. Additionally the Machined magnetic pickup holder will be supplied. The setup will come with full instructions, raw material and templates to complete the installation. Currently there is no welding required and it will be a bolt on setup. By offering it as a complete semi kit we can offer the system at a lower price to the racer. Is this something that folks would like to see? I should be able to post photos tomorrow afternoon.

Alan

Comment

• Alan, I'm interested!.......

Would like to know what the price range is so that I can start saving my pennies and dimes...

And thank you for keeping our beloved sport at heart by taking on this project!
                              Gardner Miller
                              Lone Star Outboard Racing Association

"Water is for racing. Asphalt is for the parking lot."
                              Rember....Freedom isn't...."Free".......

Comment

• Ignition system

Hi Gardner,
                                Right now were still getting parts gathered up so I don't have a price yet. Once the bill of material is complete and I have all the info I will post it on the site. We are trying to make it simple to install so that folks do some work but all the hard things have been done by us. Things I still have not got prices for are the ignition coil to plug wires, relays, raw material and machining and welding cost. The electronics will come with a 1 year warranty from the date of shipment also.

Alan

Comment

Working...
                                X