40/44 tech and buy sell swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SAWYER View Post
    Where are you going to mount the box on 500 that has the brackets up on top of the block?
    thats what I was going to ask........the 500 offset plug blocks and the ADI blocks..
    Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

• Ignition system

The electromotive system has the capability of setting a spark advance curve with dials and a variable rev limiter you can set to your liking in the XDI system. The real goal is to upgrade to the XDI 2 some time in the furfure which you can program from a laptop. The Merc system will not allow you to tune the engine easily for the race course. Also the direct fire system gives you a more robust spark. Another feature that I want to get away from is having variable cylinder timing due to belt dynamics. Additionally any time you drive something mechanically you have to use power to do it.
      Alan
      Last edited by OldRacerBU; 12-16-2013, 03:41 PM.

Comment

• Electromotive System

The question came up about vibration and if it were an issue Mercury would not have mounted there 44XS box on the block. I believe that that the Electromotive unit is simpler then the Merc 44XS system. The drawback is that you have to carry a small battery with the XDI. I also think that we will be lowering the CG of the propulsion system.

Alan

Comment

• Ignition

Originally posted by mercguy View Post
          thats what I was going to ask........the 500 offset plug blocks and the ADI blocks..
          Very simple cut them off. Although on our engines I mounted it on the side of the block.Simply because we dump water out the top of the engine. In the three yrs we have run this system we have not had an ignition failure. Once you get the initial timing set properly you don`t need a dial indicator, buzz box, or timing light. Simply remove a small cover exposing four dials you do your timing with them advance or retard at different rpms. Very simple to experiment with different timing programs. The battery we use I bought from Cabelas $19.00 and weighs approx. 2 lbs. Have run all day on the same battery, Hydro & Run. You do not foul plugs with this system. You will be surprised how rich you can run your carbs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim Weber View Post
            I'm not well educated in the do's & don'ts of 44's.

This looks real cool.

Why go to all this trouble when you can run the Merc electronic ignition with the distributor and battery?

Tim

while the 800/850 ignition system is terrific and VERY hot spark and very reliable with the RAPAIR kit, there is always the chance of water intrusion in the dist cap.....
            Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

• Art kampen !!!

Originally posted by Art K View Post
              The battery we use I bought from Cabelas $19.00 and weighs approx. 2 lbs. Have run all day on the same battery, Hydro & Run.
              You are not allowed to pit next to us ever again !
              Dave Mason
              Just A Boat Racer

Comment

• Dave we would be open to a battery sponsorship!
                Art K

Comment

• Just curious but what size battery are we talking about?. One for a ATV/motorcycle??

I am glad to see a worthwhile thread hit 50,000!!
                  Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

• I really wish we could see more folks get interested in the bigger faster boats.. I hope this thread helps folks out

Comment

• Battery

I have seen Art's battery! It is 9 D cells taped and wired together.

Alan

Comment

• Got cold in Louisiana

Having a spell of real cold weather here in LA, got down to 33 and frost every morning. Last weekend we actually had to split some wood in that I went through a half cord already this winter. Next thing you know we will be getting snow!
                        Alan
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by OldRacerBU; 12-17-2013, 12:49 PM.

Comment

• We can only wish for temps that warm here.. I have gone thru at least two cords

Comment

• The battery we use came from Cabelas. They are used to power portable electronics for ice fisherman. Also seen the same battery used in the roadside lane closure signs that have the flashing lights. When spring arrives they go on sale. We add a connector that can only be hooked up one way. Hook the battery up the wrong way and you can damge the system. We started with one of Eletromotive very first systems about ten years ago. I learned the hard way about hooking up the battery the wrong way.We ran that system on a 2cyl. Chrysler 30 ci.that we ran in c mod. The eng had a 9 lb flywheel and would not run very well with it. Switching over to the Electromotive system we ended up with a flywheel that weighed a little over a 1.5 lbs. Don`t really know wether the light weight of the flywheel or the ignition, but it came to life when we did that. Won a AOF Nationals and a ton of other races. Had to retire it when we could no longer get Chrysler parts. That same ignition is still on a 25 Merc. that currently runs in NBRA c-mod.
                            Art K

Comment

• Almost completed with the System

Doug Kay has nearly completed all the wiring and should be shipping the system back for running on out test engine. We have set it up so that the kill switch turns off electrical power to the system. All that you have to do is rotate the switch 180 degrees in most cases so the switch is closed to power the system and when you pull the cord it turns off power.
                              Alan
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Starting look like a really nice set up .

CMH. 61R
                                Short Fuze Racing
                                Team Darneille
                                ALWAYS LOOKING FOR GOOD CMH PROPS FOR SALE
                                IF YOU HAVE ONE LET ME KNOW

Comment

Working...
                                X