No announcement yet.

Hard starting Yamato 102

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The cables should be tight well beyond 0 lash but isn't the tie down tension supposed to add to this? Sems to me overtightening can be a problem too, I've been taught to turn the motor a little then tie it down snug so its tight straight.
    Team Tower

Comment

• Originally posted by mercguy View Post
      to properly tighten the cables you need to have the motor tilted up somewhat, then snug the cables up, then when motor is let back down, the cables will be properly tightened.....you sho
      I do that first when clipping the pulleys to the steering bar, ... and then do my tightening ritual.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnsonm50 View Post
        The cables should be tight well beyond 0 lash but isn't the tie down tension supposed to add to this? Sems to me overtightening can be a problem too, I've been taught to turn the motor a little then tie it down snug so its tight straight.
        Ahhhhh, ... Now we might have something.

1). I first put the motor on, tighten the clamps and then use a cheater bar.
        2). I tilt the motor up and to one side and clip on the pulleys.
        3). Put the motor down and do my cable tightening sequence as described earlier.
        4). I CENTER the motor AND THEN lash down the lower unit.

Could #4 be wrong?

Bil

Comment

• Originally posted by BillCNC View Post

3). Put the motor down and do my cable tightening sequence as described earlier.

Could #4 be wrong?

Bil
          I find the right balance of both being tight enough so the boat won't wig out when you release & regrab thru a turn. It may seem tight dry but when wet will ease up a little. I forgot to tie it at all in a CSH heat, seemed normal till the 1st turn where the DUMB-Ahhhh!! light came on. #4 is important.
          Team Tower

Comment

• Transom

Originally posted by BillCNC View Post
            Pete,

Oh, ... I'm patient, ... and am VERY thankful of the group here and for all it's help.

I was going to put her away for the winter and continue to figure it out in late February or March, ... but since were on a roll and there are people to help me, ... I can brave the cold water, ...

It wasn't cross waves that tried to do me in, ... as you can see, the water was pretty flat. Before the air traps, ... the boat ran smooth on the water with no ill effects, ... now it is just really squirrelly.

I was thinking another .750, ... but a total of 1-1/4 sounds just as good.

Bill
            Bill

That's the spirt brave the cold air and water, maybe use a wet suit?

What is your transom angle off the vertical?

Will you be trimming the traps to the zero height at rear I noted and engine prop shaft parallel to bottom the next time out?

Do you know what rpm the engine is presently turning at max speed?

What is the prop pitch and diameter?

What plugs are you using in the 14mm heads? The B10EGV are long reach and if using them or the B9EGV the threads could be protruding into the cylinder. Are they?
            Last edited by ZUL8TR; 12-12-2012, 07:55 AM.
            "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
            No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

• steering

Could #4 be wrong?

Bil
              You need to go back to post #165 and do your steering the way Mercguy said. That’s the right way.
              Could #4 be wrong? No, they tie the motor down to keep it from coming
              up if you cut the power off running wot.

Comment

• ?????????????????????????????????

Hey hard starting Yamato ! Go to a **** race and quit trying to get info for free, meet the people and GET IT DONE!

Comment

• Originally posted by ZUL8TR View Post
                  Bill

That's the spirt brave the cold air and water, maybe use a wet suit?

What is your transom angle off the vertical?
                  12*

Will you be trimming the traps to the zero height at rear I noted and engine prop shaft parallel to bottom the next time out?
                  Got it, ... Talk about Spirit, ... It's supposed to snow here tomorrow night, ... guess who will be planing down the trap pieces in the snow?

Do you know what rpm the engine is presently turning at max speed?
                  No, and I have a tiny tac installed and working, ... I have yet to look at it at high speed, ... I have been preoccupied just trying to drive the boat. I will this next time out though.

What is the prop pitch and diameter?
                  I'm not sure, ... it's the stock prop on the stock 16mm shaft. It does have the #41 stamped on it though.

What plugs are you using in the 14mm heads? The B10EGV are long reach and if using them or the B9EGV the threads could be protruding into the cylinder. Are they?
                  I had the B10EGV in it this last time. I got some parts from Rick Montoya in the mail for the gear case and spare various gaskets. I was changing the gear oil and saw that it was milk shake. He also sent me some new plugs since I'm not running the 18mm head with inserts anymore. He sent me a pair of B9EV. Yes, ... they do protrude, is that bad? Obviously they didn't hit the pistons.

Here is a picture of it.

The carbon line on the head wiped off with a paper towel, ... it wasn't there when I put the head on. Also it looks like I need to clean off the tops of the pistons. Should I use a sharpened popsicle stick or a piece of ABS plastic to scrape the carbon from the pistons?

Thanks
                  Bill
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by stevegray View Post
                    Hey hard starting Yamato ! Go to a **** race and quit trying to get info for free, meet the people and GET IT DONE!
                    What month is this, ... And do you know of any in region 12 right now?

I am never one that want's anything for free so here, let me pay you now, ... do you have change?
                    Last edited by BillCNC; 12-12-2012, 07:35 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by stevegray View Post
                      Wow, that's the spirit nothing like telling a newly interested guy to go pound sand. It's my guess you won't be nominated for mentor of the year anytime soon. Personally I've found this thread to be very interesting and appreciate everyone's contributions..............carry on gentleman.

Cheers,

Sam

Comment

• LOL nice comeback

What month is this, ... And do you know of any in region 12 right now?

I am never one that want's anything for free so here, let me pay you now, ... do you have change?
                        Nice!
                        Bill thanks for starting this thread! its great info for anyone that isnt a yamato or boat guru.
                        Gene Schertz 26V
                        TEAM CAFFEINE
                        Cranked up and ready to Roll
                        Reeds for Speed!

Comment

• This is a great thread because there has been a multitude of info here for newbies just getting started. I am a runabout guy and I've learned a bit about hydros myself. And we have a potential new driver here, let's encourage him not chase him away. He might even come up and race in R11 and lord knows we need every entry we can get.
                          kk

Comment

12*

Got it, ... Talk about Spirit, ... It's supposed to snow here tomorrow night, ... guess who will be planing down the trap pieces in the snow?

No, and I have a tiny tac installed and working, ... I have yet to look at it at high speed, ... I have been preoccupied just trying to drive the boat. I will this next time out though.

I'm not sure, ... it's the stock prop on the stock 16mm shaft. It does have the #41 stamped on it though.

I had the B10EGV in it this last time. I got some parts from Rick Montoya in the mail for the gear case and spare various gaskets. I was changing the gear oil and saw that it was milk shake. He also sent me some new plugs since I'm not running the 18mm head with inserts anymore. He sent me a pair of B9EV. Yes, ... they do protrude, is that bad? Obviously they didn't hit the pistons.

Here is a picture of it.

The carbon line on the head wiped off with a paper towel, ... it wasn't there when I put the head on. Also it looks like I need to clean off the tops of the pistons. Should I use a sharpened popsicle stick or a piece of ABS plastic to scrape the carbon from the pistons?

Thanks
                            Bill
                            The pic of the plugs in the head look like the threads are not exposed but the outer rim is and that might be ok. But if threads are exposed, IMO not good. Threads that are exposed allow carbon build up on the threads for difficult removal plus the threads heat up and create hot spots for preignition. If there are exposed threads I would get a spacer under the plug. Some will argue that the protruding plug will reduce the combustion chamber CC's. Maybe in competition it's an edge but for your use I would use the spacer if needed. Regardless pull the plugs on occasion to prevent carbon build up from restricting removal and to check condition. Don't over tighten

With a 12 degree transom that is much less than they run today. As a result engine height more critical to prevent slip and feed cooling water to the pickup. The 3/4" that the CSH class hydros run is OK for the steep transom angles (like 18 degrees) that are used because that is more setback and the water off the bottom will rise higher at the prop but even so that height the engines run hot at 7000 + for 3 laps.

The milk shake gear oil is a sign that the seals in the foot are leaking and need replacement. The top drive shaft seal is easy but requires that the foot be removed from the mid section and the powerhead be removed from the mid section. The seal is at the bottom of the mid housing and is pushed out with a long shaft. The prop shaft seal requires more work with pulling apart the prop shaft end of the foot. The seal is in the cone nut behind the removable bushing that can be seen at the rear of the foot. The cone nut is left hand thread and special tool needed to remove it.

To clean pistons you dont want carbon chips to get into the ring groves so use precaution to prevent that. I would use a carbon removal spray to melt carbon away with some moderate scraping with a tool that will not gauge the piston so try the ones you note. Clean residue well before putting the head on.

Are you using ethanol free fuel? Even if you are look into Mercury Quickleen to add to the gas to reduce carbon buildup on pistons and combustion chamber, etc. It is very concentrated and requires 1 oz per 5 gallons so a 12 oz bottle goes along way.
                            "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
                            No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

12*
                              Bill
                              Get some "spark plug indexing washers". They come in various thickness so you can adjust as to how far down the spark plug fits into the head. I get mine from Summit Racing (summitracing.com).

Comment

• Originally posted by Islandmon View Post
                                Wow, that's the spirit nothing like telling a newly interested guy to go pound sand. It's my guess you won't be nominated for mentor of the year anytime soon. Personally I've found this thread to be very interesting and appreciate everyone's contributions..............carry on gentleman.

Cheers,

Sam
                                Sam,

I had a couple people PM me last night about ignoring him, ... but I had already looked up his profile to look at his posting record to get a feel of who this guy really is.

Funny, ... in the 12 months he has been a member, he has never started a thread and all 18 of his post are all P*ss and Vinegar. Clearly an individual with a social issue and I suspect, ... he hasn't had a friend in his lifetime. Actually, ... I feel sorry for him and I would think his life can be summed up with this graphic, ...

From the people who have responded to this thread, ... Steve is nowhere near what this forum is about and is the exception to the rule which I am sure he has always been.

Nope, ... I'm here and have not been discouraged in the slightest bit so be prepared for a bunch of questions about buying or more than likely, building modern boat, ... I'm 95% sure I will be getting into racing.!!!!!

I have gotten Soooooooooo, much help from all of you, ... well almost all, ... that I would like to contribute to this sight through a sponsorship, ... do they run from Dec.-Dec. or does it expire 12 months from when you get it?

stevegray,

Really, ... it will be alright, ... just ignore this thread and you will be a happier man for it. I am sorry if I somehow stuffed a Bee in your bonnet by accident.

Again Everyone, ... Thank You!
                                Bill

Comment

Working...
                                X