Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BillCNC View Post
    Bill,

I was thinking of getting a prop and need to replace the 16mm shaft with a 9/16 shaft. I'd like to do that during the down time this winter. I was planing on going over this motor and giving her a nice cleanup and polish so when it comes out again around the end of Feb, ... she'll be all dolled up.

I am familiar with the floating feeling, ... I used to race Speedway bikes and that's pretty much having a motorcycle drag you around while your standing on a steel shoe. Remember Gumby, ... slidding on one foot?

What was happening was the back end getting out of control, ... it was wagging.
    I'm thinking in relation to my limited experience when you get used to driving farther back it will clear up & go around better. I'm also of the opinion that while parallel prop/bottom is a good test benchmark you will end up tucked some at least. Enjoy the process.. you'll be an expert in 1 boat
    Team Tower

Comment

• jonhsonm50,

Oh, I'm enjoying this alright. I think it's a perfect crash course education into how to tune a boat even though it's with an outdated hull. If I can dial this one in, it will be great practice for the newer boats.

Bill

Comment

• Hey All,

I have been doing some reading about ethanol with it's nasty effect and how I'm not going to find it easily in southern California. Although, ... I have found a few forums that have recommended this stuff from Lucas. Has anyone tried this or think it is worth a try?

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=8&loc=show
        Attached Files

Comment

• ethanol

Originally posted by BillCNC View Post
          Hey All,

I have been doing some reading about ethanol with it's nasty effect and how I'm not going to find it easily in southern California. Although, ... I have found a few forums that have recommended this stuff from Lucas. Has anyone tried this or think it is worth a try?

These products are about stopping corrosion due to the alchohol in the fuel. They also stabilaze the fuel and keep it fresh longer. I use Sta-Bil that does the same thing for preventing corrosion and keeping the fuel fresh. None of these additives can remove the alcohol. In your case when not using your engine for awhile just drain the carb and the fuel tank and if you have fuel that you will store just add some Sta-Bil or other such products.
          "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
          No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Hey All,

for your limited and short term use, don't worry about using ethanol ............it will be just fine............just make sure you use a good quality 2cycle oil...............

we all use it in racing......
            Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

• Ok, ... One question about the fuel system and storage, ... is their any O-rings or other seals that will dry out and need replacing?

Also, I was unable to test out this weekend. I had no one to assist me. I will try for next weekend.

Comment

Ok, ... One question about the fuel system and storage, ... is their any O-rings or other seals that will dry out and need replacing?

Also, I was unable to test out this weekend. I had no one to assist me. I will try for next weekend.
                drain the tank and carb, fog the engine, change the gear oil and put it away in a dry area (garage) ........orings and seals will be just fine, unless they have been previously been leaking............
                Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by mercguy View Post
                  for your limited and short term use, don't worry about using ethanol ............it will be just fine............just make sure you use a good quality 2cycle oil...............

we all use it in racing......
                  Daren,

I have used two different oils to date and am still looking for more to try. I started with Quicksilver PWC 2-stoke oil but ZUL8TR said I shouldn't use it and I am now using Quicksilver Premium Plus 2-Cycle TC-W3 Outboard Oil.

Is there another worth trying? I need to get more, ... I'm out.

Bill

Comment

• Originally posted by mercguy View Post
                    drain the tank and carb, fog the engine, change the gear oil and put it away in a dry area (garage) ........orings and seals will be just fine, unless they have been previously been leaking............
                    Good, ... but I bring the engine in the house.

Comment

Daren,

I have used two different oils to date and am still looking for more to try. I started with Quicksilver PWC 2-stoke oil but ZUL8TR said I shouldn't use it and I am now using Quicksilver Premium Plus 2-Cycle TC-W3 Outboard Oil.

Is there another worth trying? I need to get more, ... I'm out.

Bill

Quicksilver Premium Plus is great..............
                      Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

• Hey All,

My motor now appears to run fine, but I have no clue of the history of this motor up until I bought it. I was wondering if I should have my motor "freshened-up" over the winter but have a few questions.

What is typically done when you get your motor freshened-up?

Is there different kinds/levels of it other than the obvious mechanical issues?

When shipping off the power head, do you remove the carb, reeds, mag and flywheel and such before shipping?

What is the typical cost of this service?

Thanks
                        Bill

Comment

• freshing up

Originally posted by BillCNC View Post
                          Hey All,

My motor now appears to run fine, but I have no clue of the history of this motor up until I bought it. I was wondering if I should have my motor "freshened-up" over the winter but have a few questions.

What is typically done when you get your motor freshened-up?

Is there different kinds/levels of it other than the obvious mechanical issues?

When shipping off the power head, do you remove the carb, reeds, mag and flywheel and such before shipping?

What is the typical cost of this service?

Thanks
                          Bill
                          Bill

Why not DIY for the basics and save $ for .......?

Have you done a compression test? 102 should pull 120to 130 psi. Do a cold test with throttle open record compression after each rope over, 4 rope overs should to it to max psi. Then squirt some outboard oil in each cylindere rope over to distribute oil the redo the compression test. compare the difference between cylinders especially at max psi. The difference between cyinderes is important, less is better I like to see just a couple pounds different.

Then decide if rings are needed or OK for your use?

Other things you can easily check:

the alignment of the crank case, block and the exhaust as described in
                          the manual. Probably good PM to replace some gaskets here.

proper torque of the head to block and power head to tower and other
                          bolts

carb float setting

packing in high speed needle

condition of points and any corrosion of wires or connections in mag

fuel leaks

filters

carbon on piston crown and combustion chamber

Have you replaced any seals in the crank or lower unit?
                          The lower crank seal is easy to replace the top seal harder, and the top seal for the gear case is easy.
                          No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

• Pete,

I did check the compression when we were starting this thread and it seemed inconsistent. I found out why on Christmas day when I changed the head gasket on my car. The hose is old, cracked and leaking, I need to get a new one.

Considering I don't know squat about the motor other than the few things I have done and I really dont have the time this winter, I figured I'd hand it to someone who knew what to look for and have it initially done right. I don't think anything is really wrong with it, but heck, ... I have nothing to compare what my motor is now compared to one that's fresh. In fact, I have never seen another Yamato but mine in person and everything is from pictures and the internet. I'd just like to have the reassurance that everything is in tip top shape. Call it insurance.

I am going to be removing the power head from the lower unit and the gear foot from the lower unit and I will be going over everything for clean up and polishing. I'll be replacing the seals, O-ring and gasket from when I milk shaked. I have all the parts needed.

Bill

Comment

• motor

Bill

I don't follow the ststement what does you car have to do with this engine compression? Do you mean you need a new head gasket on the 102 or your car? What compression numbers did you get on the 102?

When you get prices for the freshing up plus 2 way shipping that should determine if you want to do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZUL8TR View Post
                                Bill

I don't follow the ststement what does you car have to do with this engine compression? Do you mean you need a new head gasket on the 102 or your car? What compression numbers did you get on the 102?

When you get prices for the freshing up plus 2 way shipping that should determine if you want to do it.
                                Pete,

Again, sorry for the confusion or lousy explanation, ... seems I'm good at that.

No, the 102 has a fresh head gasket. It was when I was doing a head gasket on my car on Christmas day that I discovered my compression gauge hose was splitting and leaking. That's why my test on the 102 were not useless. I was getting anywhere from 30 psi to 110 psi on the same cylinder. In 10 different pulls on each cylinder my numbers were all over the map, so they are worthless.

As far as the cost is concerned, that's why I asked what the going rate is and if there were different levels of freshening up other than any obvious mechanical issues. Also, ... what is checked on a freshen up?

Regards
                                Bill

Comment

Working...
                                X