No announcement yet.

40/44 tech and buy sell swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone out there have a spare Hustler filler block and also looking for a rope pulley for a 44??
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

• not the 44's...........

Originally posted by sam View Post
      Merc went to battery ignitions around 1970. There is no change to the hanger bracket and they are easily interchangeable.

Harry Brinkman was successfully using self energizing magnetos on his C Mods at 9,300 rpm, but that may be the rpm limit of the magneto system. It may be above the rpm limit of some magnetos and some guys setting them up.

The advantage of the magneto is it is less complicated, weighs less than carrying a battery and as available used is the cheapest ignition for these motors. If I recall correctly there are several Merc electronic ignitions and one of them does require a battery. The supposed disadvantage of the magneto is as Alan stated, the magneto places more drag on the motor thru the timing belt. Not all of the resistance of turning the mag is the mass of the internal rotating parts, there is also drag from the bearings and friction from the belt itself - but mostly magnetic force from the internal magnets and coils generating the electricity for each spark. I never heard anyone concerned about the windage inside a magneto before. I would not be surprised to learn it is nearly equal to the combined friction of the points cam follower and the force to open the points. It would be interesting for some AP student to do the math on it. Another disadvantage of the magneto is the points assemblies require maintenance. The cam follower wears, the springs loose tension and the points wear from friction and arcing. Three other maintenance parts are the bearings, the rotor and the carbon brush for the rotor, but these are rarely problems.

Some people feel the aluminum cages are less rigid and do less of a job holding the block rigidly around the crank.

Above idle the KA carbs are essentially the same except for the depth of the nozzle in the float bowl. Alan and David sell replacement long nozzles. You can make extended nozzles yourself, but its hard to beat their price.

I used adjustable main jets until I checked out Rich Fushlin's equipment and asked him a few questions. I have had success with fixed jets since then. A problem I ran into with my best pipes was the pipes made the carbs run lean with the largest jets Tillotson made for the KA's. I solved the problem by drilling the jets out until they were too rich. Then I went back one drill size and filed the jets with a welding torch tip file until the size was perfect.

Not only will fixed jets not go out of adjustment, they will show you things like whether or not some other tuning makes a real change. Bike and snowmobile tuners will tell you, if your pipes do not make your motor lean, they aren't pulling in any more air. With adjustable main jets, you are never really certain there has been a change.

The advantage of adjustable jets is its quicker to make a change for different atmospheric conditions or maybe a load difference like a different prop.
      the 44 Merc never required a battery for the ignition systems they had.......F/M, Merc mag, Lightning Energizer, ADI.........all self-energizing systems.........the 800 style is what requires a battery..........
      Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
        Anyone out there have a spare Hustler filler block and also looking for a rope pulley for a 44??
        Mike,

I have a big tapr flywheel with the rope pulley on it. They were machined as a set. I can post a pic of it later.

I can also supply complete engine rebuild kits now for most makes but I will post the 50HP price when I get to the shop. The Kits include, pistons, rings, rod, pin, centermain and crank bearings, Gasket set, seals and new rod bolts.
        Rod bolts are designed for cracked cap rods such as the 44xs.
        The kits are available in .010, .020, .030 and .040 over. Merc, OMC, and more models. The imported makes tend to be more limited in sizes available. Kits are available for 25HP to 300HP.

Kit Pricing all prices plus shipping

50 Merc large pin 2 ring pistons $425.00*
        60-75HP 49CI OMC - $525.00*
        18/20/25 OMC 3" bore 81-99 - $275.00*

* = sizes .010 - .040

These are examples but I can get any omc, merc, yamaha, etc..

Thanks,

Dave
        Last edited by crankbearing; 03-15-2011, 06:44 AM.
        Dave Scott
        Aim Marine Inc.
        613-831-1246 8-5 Mon-Fri
        Ottawa, Canada
        http://stores.ebay.com/Aim-Outboard-Recyclers
        DS(M)H - 20CE

Comment

• I just talked to the casting plant as well and the New Brinkman towers are going to be cast late this week or first thing next week. Small quantity = low on the totem pole I guess, but we should be ready to ship them by next weekend out of the run of 10 there are 2 left. If there is more interest I will make another run.

NOW 1 left.
          Last edited by crankbearing; 03-15-2011, 08:34 AM.
          Dave Scott
          Aim Marine Inc.
          613-831-1246 8-5 Mon-Fri
          Ottawa, Canada
          DS(M)H - 20CE

Comment

• I have noticed that these motors can have two and three ring pistons. Which is better? Seems like the three ring piston would have better compression but more drag?

Comment

• The new style 2 ring Mercury pistons are the way to go

Comment

• Piston

Mike,

You can find three ring pistons all over for cheap. The two ring pistons are probably better to use, but if you can use a three ring and simply put a "dead" ring on it.

I have seen both style pistons win Nationals.
                Dave Mason
                Just A Boat Racer

Comment

• Rings aren't the only part of the equation.

I ran pretty hard for years with one-ring pistons on the old Quincy Mercs. The real benefit of the "new" two-ring Merc pistons in the material they are made from. It puts these pistons way high on the totem pole compared to the cheesy metallurgy of the Wiseco. (This info straight from the horses mouth.)

Comment

• pistons

Wisecos work great in my merc ! and with twice the horsepower than those MIDI 44s !!

Comment

• Someone own Wiseco stock?

When a well known engineer at Mercury advises me what is best I take his advice. When I hear a pretty well known racer from the East talk about how many of the Wisecos he stuck before he figured out what was wrong with them I listen. If you have good luck with what you run, then fine. The world seems to work when we have a choice.

Comment

• No wiseco stock

when i used to run D mods i found that i had to heat cycle my pistons or break them in. If i just installed them in new round bores and went out and ran the heck out of it , oops burnt piston!! so with no water pump i fire it up and low RPM it for 20-25 seconds and then let it cool off to room temp. Repeat about 4 times then run one baby 3/4 throttle heat, after that beat the crap out of it! Same with my 66ci alky ! Hard to beat a 65$ piston with two nice chrome rings if your poor as i am!!

Comment

• I run wiseco's in my mods as well. Just clearance them right and they will last forever, The forged vs cast piston is the issue. The expand at MUCH different rates. You should heat cycle all engines with new pistons cast or forged. i have preached many times to racers building with wiseco's how to clearance em .005 total is waaaaayyyy to tight for a wiseco .0065 total is still too tight with a Wiseco even in a mod.
                          Dave Scott
                          Aim Marine Inc.
                          613-831-1246 8-5 Mon-Fri
                          Ottawa, Canada
                          DS(M)H - 20CE

Comment

• Clearance ? Wiseco

.0045-.005 max on 44s my 66 cube .0045-.0055 max on new bores for me. after you run a forged piston they shrink. put one in the oven and they grow about .001 smaller than when they were new. with only a couple heats.

Comment

• 44 Pistons

Originally posted by pops67g View Post
                              I ran pretty hard for years with one-ring pistons on the old Quincy Mercs. The real benefit of the "new" two-ring Merc pistons in the material they are made from. It puts these pistons way high on the totem pole compared to the cheesy metallurgy of the Wiseco. (This info straight from the horses mouth.)
                              Its not just that they are superior material, but they are also a better design... the two ring Mercury pistons are a keystone ring, where the old three ring was just a basic rectangular cast iron ring.

BTW, when using these, be sure to get them right side up. Top is marked with a tiny dot or circle near the end.

There were some very late rectangular rings made with a better material, but for my money and my motors, the 2 ring is the way to go.

Jerry

Comment

• Since I have a brand new set of pistons with the 3 rings how do you do a dead ring? And would it be the middle ring to designate as the dead one?

Comment

Working...
                                X