No announcement yet.

40/44 tech and buy sell swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• m-tech,,, if you read the mod specs ,,, cant add material to anypart of the d-mod,,, so what you are doing illegal,,,,, sooo .... ,,, mike the best exhaust i ever ran in the day where hustler,,,2nd best where bare,,,,, ime sure others will dissagree,,,,hustler now makeing them again,,,, not cheep...around 650$...just make a good straight /round motor with some good torque and then prop accordingly,,,, ,,, hec i use to beet bruce allert he held the records at the time in the day and with less hp,,, but i propped accordingly...

Comment

• Adding material

So if you install stacks your adding material! I assume the rule applies to items such as the block, crank, rods and pistons. I would assume that a velocity stack on a carb is adding material then they will not be allowed also. So if you make a part identical to a production mercury configuration I would submit that is legal. I can convert a 44XS to a Mod engine and I would be running the identical part that Bill is attempting to create.
      I beleive Bill is well within what can be done if the geometry is kept within the approved transfer port parts. Any other thoughts?
      Alan

Comment

• I think the rules specifically say intake tuning is allowed ... just as they say exhaust tuning is allowed.

The "adding material" rule applies to things that don't belong on the motor (outside of tuning and balancing which are specifically allowed).

Comment

• Added "material"

Based on the fact that filler blocks in some cases are epoxied to the exhaust I feel the port covers are legal. If presented with a 44XS cover (or clone thereof) I would gladly switch.

"Intake tuning" as Sam says. So are the 4 carb motors illegal for this class? Guys, I have been away from racing Mercs since 1970 so ignorance is bliss - -

Comment

• Adding more carbs is not "tuning" ... rules specifically designate the number of carbs and where/how they are mounted. You should read them.

Comment

• Adding Carbs

The addition of carbs to a 44 bumps it up to the FE 850 class engine. The rules for 850 allow the 44 to be modified far greater than the 750 class. A rule book can be downloaded from APBA at http://www.apba-racing.com/downloads.html#RULES

Alan

Comment

• And don't forget to download the "Modified Outboard Tech Manual" , which is well written and organized (in my humble opinion).

The "PERMISSIBLE MODIFICATIONS AND RESTRICTIONS" pages in the beginning of the Tech Manual explain what can or can't be done... such as "adding material" etc.

So, in addition the the Mod stuff in the "Rule Book", ya gotta download the Mod "Tech Manual". After thoroughly reading all of it that applies to your creation you can color yourself dangerous and a gen u wine threat to the plug-n-play types.

Alex
                Last edited by ram95; 03-18-2011, 06:03 AM. Reason: spelling air or

Comment

• Mercury Mod Manual

It is all pretty clear in my opinion if you read the rules.

In the general mod rules it specifies that no material may be added unless specifically called out in the individual class rules.

I don't see anything in the class rules that says addition to the intake covers.

On the flip side there is a rule specifically stating that you can add velocity stacks.

Simply read the guidelines that we have in print and you should be fine. If in doubt contact a mod inspector and get their opinion. It isn't too complicated if you take a little time to be sure your stuff is legal.

Steve Roskowski

Comment

• Point taken - I have been under the mistaken idea that anything reasonable is OK. Fortunately I have been working on the conservative side and done nothing else outside the Tech manual, which I did download and read last nite. It's all pretty much shown in my pictures.
                    The rules are pretty much cut and dried.
                    So now begs the question, who has an extra 44XS intake cover?

A similar class called "MOD 100" existed in OPC. Certain things were OK, others were not.

Comment

• Another thought on the modification process

I don't think anyone mentioned it on here yet, but Alan has reprinted Brinkman's "How to Modify" book that is one recipe to get to the end result. I am not saying it is the only way to do it, but it will give you all the steps as per Harry's method. For anyone starting out, it just makes sense to check it out. For more experienced guys or someone working on an engine other than a Merc, it can also give you ideas of things to try out.

Steve

Comment

• Rules

I am sure more than a few might be confused by the way to read a rule boak sort to speak.

First, read the General Mod Rules. These are the bible of inspectors. It is the final answer. The Tech manuals provide specs and also exceptions to the general rules as written. These tech manuals are specific to the class you are wanting to build for. Each one has its own section in the Tech manual.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion. Remember, your interpretations of the rule book may or may not agree witht the inspectors. I have seen things happen in a class that goes far into the realm of pushing the limits.

Steve said it best, if in doubt, call a Mod inspector, and preferable the main inspector for mod engines from APBA. This is the one other inspectors will defer to should it be questionable.
                        Dave Mason
                        Just A Boat Racer

Comment

• Question

Would a 1974 50hp Merc 4 cylinder work in D Mod?

Comment

• Yes

Originally posted by Boat354 View Post
                            Would a 1974 50hp Merc 4 cylinder work in D Mod?
                            Yes, that motor will work.
                            Gardner Miller
                            Lone Star Outboard Racing Association

"Water is for racing. Asphalt is for the parking lot."
                            Rember....Freedom isn't...."Free".......

Comment

• ya might wanta get rid of the thru hub exh prop.

Comment

• exaust port cover

I bought a new 44xs exhaust port cover in 2009 for $35.95, I think it was from Seaway Marine or somewhere like that. I'm sure they are still around. No need to reinvent the wheel!

Comment

Working...
                                X