Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C MOD Driver

Well Mike,
    I am trying to convince the driver to loose weight. He said it would be no problem if I would only stop feeding him. We will be a lot closer now I am sure. Driver and gear 225 lbs, engine about 95 lbs, fuel 10 lbs, boat with hardware about 120 lbs, (guess) I will add 10 lbs for wet driver and I guess thats about it. Now if the driver goes on the diet we will be there.

I was refinishing the bottom of the heavy hemp we were running and when I checked the bottom it is far from ideal. The new boat will hopfully work in C MOD and B1 when we start running that next year also.

Alan
    Last edited by OldRacerBU; 08-05-2011, 04:25 PM.

Comment

new boat

I have to check with Roy to make sure we can take it down to oaklahoma. I will let you and Alan know when I can. Thanks Mike

Comment

Neat boat!!! Makes me wonder how light a D boat old Mike could build for a T motor!!

Mike, those are cool airplanes...an F4U and a P51 I believe? You gotta be my kinda guy!!

Dan

Holler if you need ethanol stickers.

Comment

Pulling 20 pounds off Alan Jr??? Alan, you'll have to get rid of the potatoes AND the beer for carbs!!! (See, I remember the conversation at Somerville's only eating establishment!)

Mike, be sure you put half-inch plywood and steel reinforcement on the right cockpit side, I may have to drive that boat someday!!!

Dan

Comment

If this fer a Merc......I got a couple C-MOD Wizards look'n for a rig....perhaps we could team up at a North Carolina-Florida race someday?......OOOOPS thought buyer was a Florida racer.......Bet L-6 (David Wo-Dell?) might team with ya?

Thanks fer the posts Mike!....Could ya build this rig with a rocker in it?.....or are we get'n too long a rig to move butt back in it and make a "rocker".... werk/"pop" coming out'a corners?

Motor pics?
            Last edited by STEVE FRENCH; 08-07-2011, 06:47 AM.
            100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

Never underestimate the power of beer

Hi Dan,
              I think that the cookouts we do at the RV contribute even more to his weight. We do enjoy ourselves at the NBRA races along with all the NBRA folks and as you know Alan love to cook. I think we have a group of folks that can't wait to see what we bring up from Louisiana. If I remember correctly I think up at Garnett we went through 8 lbs of pork chops at one sitting. Of course a considerable amount of beer was needed to cool the spice we use!

Dan, I am sure you had a fun ride at Rockaway Beach in the Hemp with the 44XS on it. The side has been strengthened and the boat refinished now. I will post photos in a couple days after I finish the bottom.

If it is possible can we send Mike some large Ethanol decals. I have sent him all the small ones I had the other day and I have no large ones.

Alan

Alan
              Last edited by OldRacerBU; 08-05-2011, 05:00 AM.

Comment

Engine photos

Hi Steve,
                The engines photos are at the beginning of the thread. David and I build and restore boats and engines at his place in Florida and I worked in Florida until I retired last November. I live in Louisiana and do our racing from there. If you would like additional photos I can post them.

Alan

Comment

Never a good place to put an engine

One thing that I found out when you run a number of clases and have to switch engines there is never a good place to put the engines. This idea is not new but I thought I would post photos of our solution. It took less than 3 hour to fabricate/install and about $50 in material. I used an 8 ft 2x10, conduit support channel and hardware, a 3/16x2 inch steel strap and four lag bolts. The motor board can be installed and removed in less than 5 min with only a 3/4 inch socket.
                  I found the corner of my trailer to have a heavy steel angle and the support for the inside boat rack picks up the other end. If someone need more detailed photos let me know.
                  Alan
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by OldRacerBU; 08-07-2011, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Hemp Refinish

Originally posted by dcrummett View Post
                    Pulling 20 pounds off Alan Jr??? Alan, you'll have to get rid of the potatoes AND the beer for carbs!!! (See, I remember the conversation at Somerville's only eating establishment!)

Mike, be sure you put half-inch plywood and steel reinforcement on the right cockpit side, I may have to drive that boat someday!!!

Dan
                    Hi Dan,
                    Notice the new strong right side. Should work out well but the boat is a bit heavy now. Well it still should go quite well with a 44XS. Last time out it ran in the high 70's. Refinished the bottom and it should be better than when I got the boat.

Alan
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by OldRacerBU; 08-06-2011, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Mike Looks great you are doing a very nice job cant wait to see allen and them at a nbra race with it so I can check it out . Tim

Comment

Great job Allen!!! Looks really good.

Dan

Comment

latest progress report. One coat of epoxy and now first coat of Varnish. Hopefully it will get up to 95 again then I should be able to wet sand and put second coat on tomorrow.. And then we can flip it over! Speed building is not a lot of fun but would be nice to have another national champ in the MRC resume.

Now it is time to tear apart the C Mod exhaust and see if I can spot a problem there. I have gone thru the rest of the motor and found nothing yet
                          Attached Files
                          Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Alan I thought all of your boats are pure white. What happened to the one picture above?
                            Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Aeroliner Boats

Hi Mike
                              Alan and Jr are on the road to Centrailia, in Missippi and hour ago heading north. This Hemp style boat shown above came along with a 44XS engine, had to buy the whole rig. Presently the boat is in the trailer heading north for pick up in Centrailia by and old racer from the 50's. He will be using the 58H ( I know Mercury never built one but APBA did have one in their specifications) Doug Kay built for me and I sold to the good doctor from Minn.

Dan C drove the combomation of the 44XS and the Hemp at Rockaway Beach earlier this year. He had the thing turning so tight he put his butt thru the right side of the cockpit. All has been fixed and made a lot stronger.

David

PS
                              Alan's new boat is looking mighty fine.

Comment

Yeah, that thing will "get it"! Allen Jr. and I were 1-2 in that heat!

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X