Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mod Proposals for National Meeting...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=Dave M;119749][QUOTE=mercguy;119725]
    Originally posted by brian View Post
    PS: although this is not a STOCK debate............where can you buy BRAND NEW (lets say..more than 3) complete 44XS's right now from or even BRAND NEW Dmod Mercs???/QUOTE]

You can't. Mercury quit making them many years ago. If you get a new one now, you are getting one that has been rebuilt from an already used fishing block. You might get lucky once in a while and find a block that is in someones collection that has never been used, however, it is old never the less. The same is true for most of the Stock and Mod engines we race. I think the only truly new engines one could buy are the Yamato 302, Hot Rod (very limited in classes currently) and the Bass. Correct me if I am wrong on what engines are available new off the shelf sort to speak.

At any rate, this is a moot point. As a Mod racer I highly doubt Mod will ever run out of engines to race.

my point is that ALL classes benefit (including MOD) from the influx of new motors. Very tough to explain to a newcomer that he/she has to start with a 20-50yr motor as the basis for him Dmod engine. New parts and motors are a blessing!!!

as it stands right now, all the stock classes will be able to buy new motors............Merc J/AX/A, Sidewinder A/B, Yamato 302 (20SS/25/C) and the Tohatsu D............

the "good old boyz" need to think to the future and new racers...........enough said!!!!!
    Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

• Fe

New rule omc motors will run stock cowl an pan,with johnson or evinrude paint job.Very easy to do I had one 25 yrs.ago.this will help spectators identify with the motors.We need a fast class like this an they look neat.One of the fastest FEH has elect start an 65 hp flywheel .This looks like somthing Ron Hill would propose.
      Last edited by Danny Pigott; 12-11-2008, 05:27 PM.

Comment

• mod isn't............

just about stacks on the motor.................with the new rules for motors being brought into the class, the noise levels are trying to be brought down.........unfortunately lots of race courses are being lost to the NOISE (to outsiders) of mod motors, so we need to think to the future of the category.........

some of the best race courses on the West Coast have been lost............due to the "noise"............

new motors benefit ALL classes!!!!!!!!!
        Last edited by mercguy; 12-11-2008, 10:18 PM.
        Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

• lots of other things lost on the west coast also

Race courses because of "noise" are not the only things that have been lost on the West Coast. Nothing personal, but a lot of common sense out there has been lost also. Glad there are still some folks (mostly boat racers from what I can see) with all their brain cells intact though. Maybe you can keep it from getting any worse. If the prevailing winds blow it over the Rockies, I'm afraid of an epidemic in the Midwest.

Comment

• huh?

Originally posted by bill van steenwyk View Post
            Race courses because of "noise" are not the only things that have been lost on the West Coast. Nothing personal, but a lot of common sense out there has been lost also. Glad there are still some folks (mostly boat racers from what I can see) with all their brain cells intact though. Maybe you can keep it from getting any worse. If the prevailing winds blow it over the Rockies, I'm afraid of an epidemic in the Midwest.

what are you talking about???
            Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

• I agree With You Darren

[QUOTE=mercguy;119982]
              some of the best race courses on the West Coast have been lost............due to the "noise"............
              QUOTE]

It is a region oriented problem. When in fact we have gained sites in the Midwest.

Tell you what, until someone proposes a solution to be voted on and has all the data available for all the mod engines and the effects, I would not be in favor of it. Someone has to build a device to reduce noise and make it available at a very reasonable cost before any kind of rule can be adopted. The ones that know how to do this are simply not able to participate in this idea.
              Dave Mason
              Just A Boat Racer

Comment

• Regional..........

[QUOTE=Dave M;120012]
                Originally posted by mercguy View Post
                QUOTE]

It is a region oriented problem. When in fact we have gained sites in the Midwest.

Tell you what, until someone proposes a solution to be voted on and has all the data available for all the mod engines and the effects, I would not be in favor of it. Someone has to build a device to reduce noise and make it available at a very reasonable cost before any kind of rule can be adopted. The ones that know how to do this are simply not able to participate in this idea.
                one of the big issues I se is that since one group feels the class is doing good in their region, they assume is does not need to be fixed, not taking into account the other regions where it DOES need help
                Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

• No new Rule !

Originally posted by Danny Pigott View Post
                  New rule omc motors will run stock cowl an pan,with johnson or evinrude paint job.Very easy to do I had one 25 yrs.ago.this will help spectators identify with the motors.We need a fast class like this an they look neat.One of the fastest FEH has elect start an 65 hp flywheel .This looks like somthing Ron Hill would propose.
                  Why should we support and give free advertising to a company that has
                  refused to support us for the past 15 or so years ?

Comment

• Hey, I agree. I think I'll build an OMC? They went bankrupt didn't they?? Anyway, I'm going to repain the cowling on my sons J e-rude and stick a Budweiser decal on it... or maybe I'll get a Red Bull sticker.. Or maybe a gecko GEICO sticker. Or Gator Ade.... yeah man, I like that stuff. At least those guys are familiar with competition on a race course.....brrrrrpppp.. BRP! OMC??? R.I.P.
                    alex

Comment

• Originally posted by sax View Post
                      Why should we support and give free advertising to a company that has
                      refused to support us for the past 15 or so years ?
                      At least They did help at one time. You me an everybody else drives a ford or GM or what ever with there decals on them an advertise for them. How much money do they pay us for this.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnsonm50 View Post
                        Its also whats used in motorcycle racing.
                        That's because in motorcycle racing, CC's mean something. Like the 750 cc class has a MAX limit of 750 cc's. And the manufacturers of motorcycles, knowing that there aint no substitute for cubic inches, advertise their machines according to CC. Well almost For example, my 86 GSX1100R has 1098cc's, my TL1000 has 997cc's, a 750 Honda is just that. The point being, the motorcycle guys don't advertise by horsepower.... but, the boating industry does. We're in the boating industry.

alex
                        12A DSH 12A FEH

Comment

• When Bill wrote this....

Originally posted by bill van steenwyk View Post

I know exactly what he is talking about as listed below:

1) California Specific, too many enviro morons who feel that butterflies and fish having sex is more important than human rights, safety, or coexistence with events that can raise funds and keep kids busy, such as boat racing.

2) The invention of the squirt gun powered canoe with bicycle handle bar steering, while at the same time, the out sourcing of racing parts from the manufacturer base. This one act made it harder to buy turn key race boats.

3) Enviro whacks who feel the reservoirs and inland lakes need to be regulated, and the dictation of uninformed geniuses who claim the 2 cycle engine is the cause of global warming. This Demogogic McGovernist state banned the sale of 2 strokes about 1998, and the launching of boats with them on the back on most lakes....Funny thing what a "4 stroke" decal does to dress up your A motor....

4) The lack of finding new waters to race on, such as Lake Hodges, which will mhappen in the next few years.

And the list goes on....I only wish we were as race friendly in the land of fruits ans whackos as Washigton.

Anyhow, I hope that clears that up....
                          Bill Schwab
                          Miss KTDoodle #62C
                          -Naturescape encinitas landscape company

Comment

• Originally posted by Skoontz View Post
                            the out sourcing of racing parts from the manufacturer base.
                            'splain what this means please

Comment

• I give up!

Originally posted by jeff55v View Post
                              Letting the Tohatsu race (in stock configuration)as a Dmod for points is not likely to pass a ballot. (Although I would sure like to give it a try)
                              I hereby rescind my desire to see the Bass/Tohatsu named as a legal engine for the D... errr 750ccM class.
                              It ain't even close to happening. Not even in the ball park. No way, no how.
                              I give up. As far as I'm concerned, you guys can have mod.
                              My S.O. only status will be fresh on my mind when I plan my '09 race itinerary.

Comment

• Gladly, Sam.

When OMC farmed most or all of it's racing parts MFG to Second Effort it became yet one more step that dealers and people interested in racing who were not of racing families had to take to make legal race boats. Looki ng back, in the day, Merc and OMC made all these goodies i n house, you go to the dealer and tell them to give you X boat with X motor and goodies, either whip out the cash or call the bank, and you could finance your rig.

At the time, it was a great step. Looking back, it was one of the many burdens to building a stock race boat drivers had to take. In contrast, they could go grab a squirt gun boat ready to run, finance it, and they were off.
                                Bill Schwab
                                Miss KTDoodle #62C
                                -Naturescape encinitas landscape company

Comment

Working...
                                X