No announcement yet.

Region 3 J Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is "J" Bill? Can someone fill me on the law that is trying to be passed?

Comment

Letter from Senator Kean (S1889)

This is a letter I got from Senator Kean. Just thought I would share it with everyone. Sheri

Now that the bill has been released from the Senate Transportation
      Committee, the next step is for it to be placed on the Senate's agenda
      for a vote by all members of the New Jersey Senate. At present, there
      are two voting sessions remaining in 2008. They are November 24th and
      December 15th. If the bill is not placed on the agenda for either of
      those two dates, we will have to see what voting sessions are scheduled
      for 2009. You can track the progress of this legislation by visiting
      the New Jersey Legislature's home page at www.njleg.state.nj. Once at
      the home page, you enter the bill number (S1889) and you can track its
      progress.
      SPORTMANSHIP expresses an aspiration that the activity will be enjoyed for its own sake, with proper consideration for fairness, ethics, respect and a sense of fellowship with one's competitors.

Comment

We are trying to have a law passed that will allow children from 11-16 to be able to race in New Jersey. Right now you have to be 16. Hope this helps. You can contact me at 732-299-4396 if you have any further questions. Sheri Runne
        SPORTMANSHIP expresses an aspiration that the activity will be enjoyed for its own sake, with proper consideration for fairness, ethics, respect and a sense of fellowship with one's competitors.

Comment

Is there any way we can ensure it will be placed on the agenda?
          "I don't want to just live life, I want to live an extraordinary life." - Kevin Ladd

Comment

Age?

Web address

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/

As a matter of interest, if this bill is passed will the J participants have to be at least 13 years of age?

Comment

Yes - must be 13 . . .

Originally posted by GarE-12 View Post
              Web address

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/

As a matter of interest, if this bill is passed will the J participants have to be at least 13 years of age?
              I read the bill and 13 appears to be the minimum age, and the person must have a certificate of completion of a boating safety course. The bill isn't clear what boating safety course since the USCG Aux offers two basic ones, a quickee weekend "ABC" course, and the multi-week (one evening a week) "BS&S" course. The courses are inexpensive and well within the brain power of our J racers, but the problem is finding a seat - they are usually booked up quick.
              carpetbagger

Comment

In Pa. if you have a group of person wanting to take the course, they will set up a class for the group. Have a class at one of the DVORA meetings this would make the class large enough to get their attention.

Comment

I took the NJ coarse several years ago with my youngest daughter. At that time they told me they would set up coarses for groups of I believe 15 people. I know of two little girls in our Region that need the coarse.
                  Earl 11 J........ Dangerous when Wet Runne Craft- Earl said, " Driving a Runne Craft is like Cheating". Dude, ........ Where's My Boat!

Comment

Please email Senator Kean to encourage him to put Bill #S1889 on the Senate agenda for Nov. 24th. His email address is: SenSKean@njleg.org. Thank you Sheri

Comment

Need your help

I just sent my email..................your turn
                      Shawn Breisacher

Comment

J class

Just sent an E mail

Comment

I strongly encourage everyone to please send an email. It will only take a minute. You don't have to be from Region 3. Please help us! We want the kids back on the water! Thanks!

Stacy
                          "I don't want to just live life, I want to live an extraordinary life." - Kevin Ladd

Comment

I sent mine, hopefully, they will let me race in NJ next year.
                            Ian Augustine

Comment

Writer's Block

Well it took me much longer than a minute to write my email so I wanted to share what points I covered to help others struggling with writer’s block. I kept it short to ensure it would be read - seven sentences total. My email:

- clearly stated in the first sentence that I was urging bill number S1889 be placed on the Senate's agenda for the November 24 voting session.

- pointed out that the law as it is presently written takes away something that had been in place for decades and enjoyed by generations of boys and girls in New Jersey in the past.

- had an attached photo of Luke racing in JH, named the safety gear worn by drivers in sanctioned APBA races and stated that safety is a priority.

- said that by placing the bill on the Senate's agenda for the November 24 voting session, and it hopefully being passed, would help New Jersey boat race promoters begin plans to include the J class for next season.

- included my home address at the end of the email so it would be understood this bill affects tourism to the state.
                              @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
                              72@E
                              Former Boat Racer
                              21st Century: CSH, CSR, and "J Dad" x2
                              20th Century: ASH, ASR, BSR, 25SSH, 25SSR

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comment

Sent mine! Thank you Mark for the tips. I would be hesitant on the picture though, if one of these places sees an attachment on the email they might be hesitant to read it. Do everything else though.

Thanks Sheri!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X