Raleigh Race - October 14th-16th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raleigh Race - October 14th-16th

Planning for the final event for the USTS 2005 season is coming along very nicely. Club president Kristi Ellison has put in countless hours to get this race organized and to raise a nice purse for prize money.

We ask that all members of the USTS make every effort to attend what will be one of the best races of the year. We welcome also PRO drivers that may not have raced with the USTS this year.

In addition to the normal schedule, OSY400 has been added to the schedule, I believe for Sunday (but to be confirmed as to which day). So bring out all those 102's, 202's and 302's!! Leave the lead at home!! Also, K PRO's run 2 heats each day.

Anyone that believes that they will need methanol, please send me an e-mail (dwedweaver@comcast.net). If enough drivers need it, we will attempt to arrange for several drums with sales "per the gallon".

We expect a great turnout of boats with teams from New England through Florida travelling to join the "Mid-westerners from Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota and parts elsewhere. We would love to see the folks from Texas. Most of the USTS point races are still up in the air and will be decided on an approximately 1 mile race course.

I would suggest that people flying in for the race weekend make their reservations now, as there are some good sales into RDU airport. Check with Delta, Airtran, Southwest, USAir, etc. The airport is about 30-45 minutes from the race course, depending on the time of day and traffic.

Finally, if you or your team are planning on attending this race, please shoot me an e-mail (with your classes), so we can put together lists of drivers for each class to distribute to the media, use in the program, etc.

More details to follow.
    David Weaver

Thanks Dave

For those of you who have not attended a USTS before we always have a drivers party on Saturday night. It looks like the USTS will be able to cater the whole thing...no cooking for this one.

Kristi

Kristi Z-22

PRO Commissioner

APBA BOD

"Ask not what your racing organization can do for you...Ask what you can do for your racing organization"
    Tomtall 06

Comment

Lake Wheeler Info

I have attached some maps and directions to the lake.

Directions: Using Interstate 40 in Raleigh as a reference point, take exit 297 [Lake Wheeler Road] and proceed south [away from Raleigh] . Stay on Lake Wheeler Rd, passing across Tryon Rd. Continue on Lake Wheeler Rd. and you will eventually pass flashing yellow lights at Simpkins Rd [which connects to Lake Wheeler Rd. on your left]. Continue on Lake Wheeler Rd. The park entrance will be on the right side. Lake Wheeler Park is approximately 4 1/2 miles from Interstate 40. Make a right into the front entrance of the park and stay on the long winding road to the waterfront. Lake Wheeler Park can only be accessed via Lake Wheeler Rd.
      Attached Files

Comment

From SE North Carolina

Thanks for the directions. For those of you coming from the SE part of NC Lake Wheeler RD is a left turn off HWY 401 N about 5 miles from I-40.

Kristi

Kristi Z-22

PRO Commissioner

APBA BOD

"Ask not what your racing organization can do for you...Ask what you can do for your racing organization"
        Tomtall 06

Comment

Raleigh USTS Race

Kristi or David;

What is the hotel nearest the race site where most will be staying?

Comment

Holiday Inn Express Garner

John

I am waiting for the HIE to get back with me about a discounted rate. It is in Garner on Mechanical Blvd and about 5 miles from the park. There are 2 other hotels on the same street in Garner if the HIE does not have the rooms and or the discount. I will post the info as soon as I have it.

Does this mean you will be attending??

Kristi

Kristi Z-22

PRO Commissioner

APBA BOD

Tomtall 06

Comment

Raleigh

Yup, I'll be there unless I have to go out of the country, but that doesn't look probable. My plan is to come up Friday afternoon and return perhaps mid day Sunday.

See ya there. looking forward to it!

Comment

raleigh

dave, im hoping to come, work permitting. 250,500,700 hydro. do not need fuel. d hooten

Comment

Dave Hooten

The USTS runs 500 and 1100...will you consider running your 700 in the 1100 class on Sunday?

Kristi

Kristi Z-22

PRO Commissioner

APBA BOD

Tomtall 06

Comment

Hotel Info Raleigh

The Holiday Inn on Mechanical Blvd in Garner, NC has blocked off 18 rooms for the race. The discounted rate is 70.99 per night. The discount code is "UST". The rate will be good through September 17th. The number is 919 662-4890. If all those rooms book there is a Wingate across the street and I will contact them about a discounted rate.

Kristi

Kristi Z-22

PRO Commissioner

APBA BOD

Tomtall 06

Comment

Raleigh - HI Rooms

Only 16 left.
                      David Weaver

Comment

Thanks David

If anyone calls and the HIE is out of rooms send me an email so I can work on more rooms. Parroth222@aol.com

Kristi

Kristi Z-22

PRO Commissioner

APBA BOD

Tomtall 06

Comment

Raleigh

They did not have the USTS dicount set-up yet, but thought that it would be only a day or so. Normal rate was $79 for a queen. The Wingate is the same price.

David
                          David Weaver

Comment

Reminder for Raleigh Race

October 14-16 are the dates for the final USTS race of the 2005 Season. The Alkies will be racing on lovely Lake Wheeler in Raleigh, NC. This is a great venue for a boat race, where inboards held outstanding events for over 25 years. After several years without a boat race, Lake Wheeler will play host tothe US Title Series. With the expectation of cool, crisp October weather in sunny Eastern, NC and a wonderful body of water (complete control of the lake!!), look for some of the fastest alky performances of the year. This should be a carb. man's dream race. Big, fat jets will be the order of the day for VRP's and Rossi's.

Testing on Friday will be followed by two days of racing. The USTS sponsors dinner on Saturday night at the lake (bring a light jacket or sweat shirt, just in case). Most, major airlines fly into RDU airport which is about 30 minutes from the race course. See the USTS web-site for more information.

Without doubt, some of the best outboard racing in the world should occur at this event. Do not miss it!!
                            David Weaver

Comment

Sneak Preview of the Race Site

Here are a couple of shots of the lake that we will be racing on and the park area. Simply a beautiful race site that you must attend.
                              Last edited by David Weaver; 02-13-2007, 04:22 AM.
                              David Weaver

Comment

Working...
                              X