Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marathon boats

Dave,

At least all the holes are drilled! I hope you can pull something together for it. I'm really looking forward to the race. We'll see what we are saying the Monday after!

Steve

Comment

Super Thunderboldt

Dave & Steve, others,
      The older center spark plug 44 blocks are legal for D stock, it is called the Super Thunderboldt motor. Rules are about the same as the 55H, but a 5# min. flywheel.
      Rules are availble here: http://www.apba-racing.com/Forms/200...h%20Manual.pdf Page 32.

Kark Bishop from California will be running on this year at Top 'O

Just wanted to let you know of another D motor option.

Darrell

Comment

FYI... a 55H won D two years ago. Speed is good to have, but not the most important part of this race. Finishing in one piece on both days is.

Comment

Tips for the Top O' Rookie

For your first race, make it your goal to finish both days. After that you can come back and try to trophy or even win. Anyone who finishes both days receives the very hard to get Top O' medallion.

Boat selection – go one class size bigger boat. An example is that most of the CSRs use 13’ boats. You also must have a boat that will turn left and right. Old DeSilva KRs or even older flat deck models and similar type boats work fine. Since they are not that competitive in closed course racing any more, they aren’t that expensive to buy. I have even known of a free one that was raced last year. Make sure the boat is sound shape and do any repair work needed to make sure it won’t break on you, as this not a race for 98# weakling boat. Don’t spend a lot of money for a boat for your first Top ‘O. When you come back the next year, you will know what you need for a boat. You can pass your old boat on to another Top O' rookie. You do want to make the boat look good enough for all the pictures that will be taken of it during the race.

Fuel tanks. Make sure it is not in your way in the cockpit. You can use tanks under each side deck. If you do, have the fuel lines exit off the bottom of the tanks and run to “T” at the bottom inside of the transom. The fuel will draw equally from both tanks. For ASR you will need 3 gal. CSR 5-6 gas. I think DSR can do it with 6 gal. Check with someone who runs the class; don’t take my word for it.
          If you are running a Yamato use a fuel pump to keep the gravity tank full with an overflow back to the auxiliary tank. This can also be accomplished with an electric fuel pump that is switched on when the tank on the motor needs to be filled.

Padding. Make sure you have plenty. I use 2” on the floorboard and 1” on the cockpit sides. You will also need some pads on parts of the deck where your elbows will hit. Wear gloves when you race or you will end up with blisters on your palms, especially your throttle hand.

Boat drains. Be sure to use some type of automatic drain. Some use the duckbill flapper drains. I have seen sump pumps used. I like the ping-pong ball type drain. I have 2 in my boat. Two years ago there was a boat that “stuffed” through a wave, completely filled the cockpit with water. The driver was able to keep the motor running and finished the race. The boat had 2 of the ball drains.
          Cowling on the boat, it is not to cheat the wind, it is designed to deflect the water out of the cockpit. Make sure it comes at least to the edge of the cockpit.
          Bolt the motor to the transom. Take along enough tools to change a shear pin or fix a throttle cable.
          You want to use a propeller that gets on plane quick, remember at the start you are going to be heavy with a full load of fuel. Also don’t worry about being overweight; it helps you get over the rough stuff.

Now your boat is ready for the race, are you ready! The best way to get your self ready is to run your boat a lot, especially the week before the race. License your boat, that way you won’t get into any trouble testing around Indian River. Watch Pete Schwab’s helmet cam video over and over. The day before the race you can rent a pontoon boat from Wayne Bloomberg at Ryde Marine (231) 347-8273 to tour Crooked & Indian Rivers. Wayne gives a discount price to racers, he races DSR himself. Take someone with you that has ran the race before to give you course tips.
          There is a great book of navigation charts of the racecourse available at the visitor’s center in Indian River.

At the drivers meeting pay attention to all the instructions.
          Race the race course, not the others in your class. Go as hard as is comfortable for you. You can not finish first unless you first finish.
          Race safe, have a great time.

Comment

I hope so...

Originally posted by Merc1 View Post
            Does this mean you are going to be at some of the races this year?
            I HOPE I can make a few races this year!
            A lot of people depend on me, I work a LOT of overtime, also had some family members pass away. It always seems I plan a great year, then something happens that is out of my control, and it's like the rug gets pulled out from under me.
            I'll never tell anyone I will be at any race. Whenever I do that, I just jinx myself. Then I feel like I let everyone down. I feel awful for doing that. I'll just show up when I can, as soon as I can.
            That being said: Darrell, Whatever you do, don't send a helmet cam video to: Jeff Yungen 2412 W3rd St. Coal Valley, IL. 61240
            I will buy a copy of the other DVD also.
            IF I make it up there, I'll be racing DSR with the BIGFOOT motor of runabout racing!

BTW Darrell, I copied and pasted a bunch of info from your posts onto a notepad for safekeeping. Thank you so much for the advice. That's the kind of stuff us hopeful marathon rookies need to know.

Comment

I also would appreciate one. Been thinking about Top O for a long time and already have the extra tanks etc and a 55 H to put my gear foot on.
              David Everhart S52
              5125 S. SR 231
              Tiffin, OH 44883
              David Everhart S52
              Avatar credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

David,
                I will send you one on Monday. The D class could have a bost in numbers this year.
                Darrell

Comment

Home Of Bigfoot

Originally posted by Merc1 View Post
                  Does this mean you are going to be at some of the races this year? Us local region 7/8 guys would love to see a Tohatsu in person, better yet actually race! Tohatsu's are like BIGFOOT, I've heard people talk about them and show their pictures but have never seen one first hand.
                  Come to the Northwest that where BIGFOOT live's!!
                  Region 10 the place to find bigfoot and a lot if Tohatsu's.
                  It will be good to see another Tohatsu on a D-runbout, Good luck!! we sure like the way the Tohatsu pushes the D-runabout .
                  Russ Bircher 45-R/151-R

Comment

Originally posted by jeff55v

BTW, Do you like my new avatar?
                    Sasquatch ! Looks good Jeff
                    93-C

Comment

17 videos sent

Originally posted by CSR4C View Post
                      All I am asking in exchange for the video is for them to buy me a beer at Top O' (I don't plan on bringing any with me) No shows are going to owe me big time, at least a case
                      Darrell
                      So far I heard from 17 of you interested in racing at Top 0' Michigan that have never raced there.
                      9 different states. 1-J, 2-Bs, 4-Cs, 9-Ds, 1-25. 2 are aiming for 2008, the rest this year. Of course some are questionable. If all the DSRs come through, this could be a big boost for that class. One of the Bs is waiting for the Sidewinder motor.

Darrell
                      p.s. The J driver will owe me a Pepsi

Comment

WOW... 9 more D's.. I love it!!! We usually average around 10 for that race. If we can get 9 more plus a couple more from out east here, that should make for one heck of a field. I can't wait!!! I hope you all can find a way to make it here. Its not only a great race, but a great time as well.

Comment

What I learned...

WOW!
                          What a great race! It's just what I expected! A mix of big rough water lakes, and narrow twisting rivers! I really hope I can get there a day early to take a pontoon boat ride thru the course.

Here's what I learned from watching the DVD:
                          1.) Be SURE my landyard is plugged in at the Lemans start.
                          2.) Dang I wish I had a bigger boat.
                          3.) Learn how to turn sharp. Not those big sweeping sissy turns I'm used to.
                          AND do it to the left AND right!
                          4.) Figure out how to "smile and wave" to all the spectators.
                          5.) And something I was not expecting: Be prepared for two way traffic late in the race! (closure rates of 100+ mph around nearly blind corners )

Thank you Darrell. I'll do my best to make it there to buy you a cold one.

Comment

Very good rookie suggestions Darrell

May i also suggest,
                            -A good size center fin or two small on each side of the bottom. You will probably make it thru the first left turn in Indian River, but that first right hander is a doosey. The river wall is made of telephone poles and very very hard. (i know from experience)
                            -I bolted a small plastic tackle box to the bottom near my dashboard and filled it with everything imaginable I could think of I would need. Tools, shear pin, spare prop, plugs, head gasket, pull rope. Wrap all in foam or towels so they dont beat each other apart.
                            -Learn the course and try to envision it in your mind. You will be traveling down some long waterways that are 20' wide or so and it will look like the river ends ahead of you. If you know what is going to happen at that point you can go faster and prepare yourself for the direction of the turn. Try to look far ahead of you to see where others are going to follow them. If they head into the weeds in Hay lake, you may want to stay in the river channel. I have seen Csr's never come back!
                            -If you break down or are having trouble try to get to the spectators along the shore. They will do anything to help you! Most seasoned Top O' spectators actually bring tools, sponges and fuel just to help you out! The year I won CSR I ran out of gas in Indian River less than a half mile from the finish near the marinas (my return fuel line fell off and filled my boat) . A spectator (thankfully a non-smoker) sent his son running for fuel for me while holding my boat and I still won. Sure wish I could thank that guy.
                            -Do everything you can to finish, rookies almost always end up dragging their boats off the shore cause they thought they could win. Take your time, enjoy the race and wave at the fans! There will be more than you have ever seen in any closed course race. Remember that it is usually a very long, boring tow back to the pits. The last one I had was an hour and a half by a highly intoxicated fisherman!
                            -Listen to the old timer's and their stories, they are great. You are about to become one of them and have much better stories to tell. Your own!
                            -And lastly go early so you can practice and get to know the course. Plus plan on staying Sunday night so you can go to the awards banquet. Work is the only thing waiting for you at home and you wont be able to walk very well until Wednesday anyway!
                            Last edited by Jeff Brewster 59s; 03-22-2007, 09:45 AM.
                            http://www.stockoutboard.com/

Comment

Jeff,
                              Are you going to try to run Top O' this year?

One more tip for the first timers, wear something between your legs & your kevlar or you will have a good rash from the kevlar rubbing on your skin. I wear a light weight wear of nylon gym pants. Craig Bowman says that panty hose also works well!

Darrell

Comment

Were hopin'

Every year I hope to go. If I was only able to make one race a year, this would be it. This is the world's greatest race!

If we make it, it will be last minute due to my work schedule. I doubt I will run it personally though so I can help my sons get out in the J's. Can't wait to let them experience this!

By the way,,,about Craig....that was way too much information! LOL
                                Last edited by Jeff Brewster 59s; 03-22-2007, 09:47 AM.
                                http://www.stockoutboard.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X