No announcement yet.

Chargin Charlie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I forgot to ask when I talked to you the other day. Did Al tell you the original name of Charlie. I cant remember what it was, Kip told me, but didnt write it down. The name changed to Charlie pretty early on, but for a bit it carried a diff name, according to Kip.
    sigpic

Comment

Hey Jerk.. Got some new wheels for Charlies trailer

sigpic

Comment

5-oh

Did you get them in a bust or what. J.D.

Comment

Dang tweekers, the only thing worth keeping off that POS. Just cant seem to seize anything good anymore. JK

On that note though, we may have a few things commin our way in a couple months. Ill keep you posted.
          sigpic

Comment

Named

after Chuck Skaggs. Is this true?

Comment

This weekend, Casale time

Gearbox is apart, 12 degree #62500-2. Wonder what the 2 means? Looks good inside except some rust and salt water residue in he water passage, why does anyone run water thru these in an open boat? Whooops forgot this vdrive is way under the dash, outta sight and cool air! Oh, the top bearing spacer was ingraved 'Bottom' and the bottom one was markd 'Top'! They are 18% so you think that mild 350 needs a different gear to start with? I do looking at the prop.

Does anyone have some 12 degree 22s, 25s or 29s? I would trade 12% 12s! Or, I have a set of 10degree 25s! Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Altered Thoughts View Post
                Dave Weber told me that it was always behind the Marlins but it may have been the excellent driving of the Weber Bros. I'm sure there will be more said on these findings. Jimmy D.
                Right, here is moresaid: The Webers never beat it according to Al. Only Tom Mielke ever came close. You on prescription drugs or just found a new stirrin stick? 29 straight victories, and many records in its day. Last I saw it drag racing, it had way more oil in the bilge than in the pan!
                Attached Files

Comment

Side Skag

In this shot notice the filled slot hole where the side skag had been.
                  Al told us, this is Ted Jones idea and looks similar to what it currently on SS400, the record smashing Jones of Dave Villwock. It's been accused of being a hydrofoil with exterior rudder and side skag.
                  Point is, this boat had it in 1970! Way ahead of its time with many other tricks like the blueprinted bottom and sides, dropped stringer, hydroplane steering, movable cente cav plate, etc. Still learning myself but if anyone is interested in a private showing, come by and see for yourself.

That side fin worked incredible up to a certain speed,, according to Al and at 7000rpm with that 18 gear it lifted the side, so it was redesigned decades later and installed outside the SS400 hulls flat surface on a special raised tiny sponson looking addition. Interesting?
                  Hydro hardware on a flat? Dave told me that with additional capsule weight and innovations, he had to drastically change flats hardware and its locations. Then after resetting almost every course record he was protested by almost all his competition, so I have read on the web. Maybe Dave will chine in.

Our 'Charley' boat is shorter than that boat by about 12", I think. So no capsule for us and the 80mph rule will keep the boat quite stable and flat running.

Al also stated that Kelly Stocklin also drove this boat. And Paul Grichar tested it at Burley with the hydro plane steering. What boat hasnt Paul driven???

Comment

Wonder what the 2 means. Answer-- fix with both eyes open..might have something to do with 12 degree--what ever you do don't put 10 degree gears in like I did on the 10 degree box I bought from a racer guy. JImmy D.

Comment

%@$&*! Jimmie is soooooooooooooooooooooooo right

Some of us, just some, are smart enough to read angles instead of casting numbers.....others just wait long enough until the teeth corners bust off! Then realize a problem of sorts......All types of folks eventually understand what you are saying so dont dismay! And dont dribble out ofbounds!

Then there are those who install the big gear at the bottom and really really go fast!

Comment

blood line

Originally posted by Jerkizoid View Post
                        Right, here is moresaid: The Webers never beat it according to Al. Only Tom Mielke ever came close. You on prescription drugs or just found a new stirrin stick? 29 straight victories, and many records in its day. Last I saw it drag racing, it had way more oil in the bilge than in the pan!
                        Im all in. the outher tommy.

Comment

Flash: news from a former Jones employee:

Not a shortened Jones copy like I had thought, Steve Jones built the special Javelin mold for OUTBOARDS, then sold it to Al. Al produced them and outfitted Hondos to run very hard in circles.

Kelly had two early Jones or Javelins named 'CircleJerk I' and CircleJerk2' maybe this boat is really home!

Dave Bough had one of the fastest around, so I am told.

Comment

Picked up the trailer Fri, and was able to put a couple hours into it today. The decking was rot, so it will be getting new decking. Have new lights, wheels, bunks, etc. Charlie deserves a improved ride.
                            sigpic

Comment

Trailer

Originally posted by Five O View Post
                              Picked up the trailer Fri, and was able to put a couple hours into it today. The decking was rot, so it will be getting new decking. Have new lights, wheels, bunks, etc. Charlie deserves a improved ride.
                              Might take a hard look at that axle. Are you gonna power it as an SK or as our new northwest E Class? Might be worth a phone call as lots of things are in the air.
                              Dave over and out!!

Comment

Ror

Wow, you did get busy! That leaky tire does not have a obvious leak at the bead or tread, so it may have just been low and sitting didnt help it. I checked with soap and no bubbles. Love the chrome fenders.

Oh, the fuel tank had alum fittings fused together at the feed line so it broke. Nobody believes in antiseize or non-hardening sealer when tightening 2 soft metals together, I guess. So off to the Welders to fix it.

Dave, Robin is running whatever Ror is, she prefers the GPS.

Comment

Working...
                                X