Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Five O

Boyd is at a stale mate.
    so we need to get together and get this boat painted and trailer back soon, plus, Boyd has a line on a sbcm for the boat. Call me and lets see about getting this scheduled lol

Thanks
    Robin Schnell
    (Adammitchel)

Comment

I will call in the morning. I can do it Sunday or ??? I can take a day off next week and finish as well, just not Monday. The trailer can be done by next week as well. Im excited, looking forward to seeing Charlie right-side-up and on a trailer.
      sigpic

Comment

Ok, I will be looking for ur call.

Comment

What the

More problems, while block sanding, two more bumps showed up in the chine area that was filled with balsa and glass. 4 hours more of work and phone calls to Al and Kip. Estimate cause is that side crack that wasnt repaired correctly allowed water into the false chine swelling the glass and wood. Kip said, "grind some more and top coat. Should be ready for final primer next weekend. Meanwhile our competition thinks we wont make it for the first race, OK, but Burley is a must, we could see an E class possibly.

Comment

First race?? Not too concerned about that. Charlie WILL be ready for Burley. Still have some ground to cover, but should be no problem....

Thinking maybe Thurs morn Boyd...Ill call tomorrow and see how that may work..
            sigpic

Comment

We are being watched

Ok, Ror, by the way, you see the number of hits for Charley? Compare that to your K28 post.....What does this suggest?? Charley is being watched, either by Security Products fans or the SE competition, or others???
              I would think a blown famous Geottle boat with 'Epidemic' in the serial would be way more interesting to view. Maybe its the popular Charley name triggering the hits?? What do I know? Zip

I had a very smart hull designer check Charleys bottom pictures and he said that inverted anti trip chine will work but balance of a boat so short and heavy is critical. Maybe an adjustable seat track?? Or deck riders? It is a runabout you all...

Comment

Done

With bottom straightening, everything blocked, delamination corrected, seams filled, chines contoured, deck supports reglassed, binacle is repaired and blocked, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,I am so done. Does anyone know a painter? I'm going to get tractor paint this weekend if he does not show. I could work on the 5 v-drives, I guess.

Comment

Tractor Paint

Sat morning is the day. You pick the time and Ill be there, no excuses. Ok well not too early, Im bringin the moma and boys. Will leave them at my moms and come over.

Do we need to prime??? if its to 320 paint will be fine.
                  sigpic

Comment

Great

Saturday works, Needs primer, found another peeling situation on the side so had to grind through the feather fill. Need a touch of spot filler for small chips into gel. All is 220 grit, even Aquacraft. Hopefully we can prime both together?

Glad to hear from you, I was afraid you were on a walk about Australian style.

Comment

Wanna Laugh

According to APBA Se class rules, this boat must weigh 1800 lbs less driver! Well, how can I do that? Someone must be kidding, right?

I was told to carry a version of the Liberty Bell and secure it well!

Comment

Bottom done, speedcoat going on thanks to Dave. Had not planned on speed coating it but that saved shooting the cream white on what otherwise would be covered anyway. the epoxe primer and fiberglass top coat should be enough to stop all that gel coat peeling-flaking.
                        The original motor has been found but it is all rebuilt with high buck stuff and too pricey for our budget. So the hunt continues for a reasonable engine we can afford.
                        I only need a low compression sbc, might have a line on a 327 cheap. I would trade some bbc stuff if anyone out there has some spare small stuff.

Forgot to mention, after all the vinyl was removed, more cracks had been covered up with electrical tape, and numbers......on the transome and left side that we were leaving alone. So, here I go again. Should have it off the rotiserie by weekend and my eliminator inside! Ya hoo.
                        Last edited by Jerkizoid; 02-22-2011, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Bothboats

Look great Boyd. For a guy who's not in the biz He is really doing a great job. Both Charley and the Shark are flat and smooth Its a shame after we flip them nobody really appreciates the time that was put into the bottoms of these old boats. Every one just looks at the tops. I for one hope I'm there to see the smile on Boyds face after he drives the shark for the first time.
                          Dave over and out!!

Comment

Visit from the Welding Doctor who makes house calls!

Thanks Dave, I found the perfect tool for scuffing the speed coat! A Fine grit drywall plaster sanding sponge! It conforms to the bends on the chine and leaves a shiny silver smooth finish. Plastic gloves also help.
                            Dave has the answer for those wanting to coat for less! His Gallon should do 6 or more bottoms after thinning. I used mineral spirits since the label suggested it for a longer drying-bonding time. The stuff was rolled on to imitate car undercoating tar!

Other news regarding the E class is fresh in Daves mind, now if we can just keep competitors from using some trick sbc stuff like 14 degree heads or gobs of crate motor hp!
                            Heck, are we the only two getting prepared for the SE legal APBA class?? Dave, you might list motor specs as you know them!

Comment

Originally posted by E-MOTION View Post
                              Look great Boyd. For a guy who's not in the biz He is really doing a great job. Both Charley and the Shark are flat and smooth Its a shame after we flip them nobody really appreciates the time that was put into the bottoms of these old boats. Every one just looks at the tops. I for one hope I'm there to see the smile on Boyds face after he drives the shark for the first time.
                              Ah I have abandoned the Shark in favor of the 'Dragon'!

Comment

finished

Primer done.

Comment

Working...
                                X