No announcement yet.

Sidewinder/hotrod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To buy a new motor or not to buy a new motor?

Lets look at an A Stock driver starting back at the beginning in the 1950's:
    1. Mercury KG-4
    2. OMC

Now check out an A Alky driver, same thing from the 50's:
    1. Johnson KR
    2. Mercury KG-4
    3. Champion Hot Rod
    4. Quincy/Merc
    5. Konig HRA
    6/7. Anzani or Harrison
    8. Quincy Looper
    9. Konig FA
    10. Quincy Z
    11. Yamato Piston Port
    12. Yamato Reed Valve
    13. Konig VA
    14/15. Harrison-Yamaha or Schmidt-Kawasaki
    16/1718. Rossi, VRP, or Arens

So looking back at over a half of a Century the A stock driver has needed two motors while the A (aka Pro 250) driver in the alcohol ranks could have had as many as Eighteen.

If I were a Stock driver I would welcome the new Sidewinder. And the price is in line with the cost of a new Pro motor.

However I do have to add that on the Pro side we also have C-Service. Where someone, back in the 1930's bought a Speeditwin and today, five generations later, the Great-Great Grandson is still racing it:
    1. Speeditwin.

Comment

• A couple of more...

Originally posted by T Chance View Post
      To buy a new motor or not to buy a new motor?

Lets look at an A Stock driver starting back at the beginning in the 1950's:
      1. Mercury KG-4
      2. OMC

Now check out an A Alky driver, same thing from the 50's:
      1. Johnson KR
      2. Mercury KG-4
      3. Champion Hot Rod
      4. Quincy/Merc
      5. Konig HRA
      6/7. Anzani or Harrison
      8. Quincy Looper
      9. Konig FA
      10. Quincy Z
      11. Yamato Piston Port
      12. Yamato Reed Valve
      13. Konig VA
      14/15. Harrison-Yamaha or Schmidt-Kawasaki
      16/1718. Rossi, VRP, or Arens

So looking back at over a half of a Century the A stock driver has needed two motors while the A (aka Pro 250) driver in the alcohol ranks could have had as many as Eighteen.

If I were a Stock driver I would welcome the new Sidewinder. And the price is in line with the cost of a new Pro motor.

However I do have to add that on the Pro side we also have C-Service. Where someone, back in the 1930's bought a Speeditwin and today, five generations later, the Great-Great Grandson is still racing it:
      1. Speeditwin.
      Interesting point here Tim. Some advantages to not having to switch flavors every couple of years. You need to add Konig ZA and the Bullet (only saw 1 of these). Also, there were 3 versions of the Konig FA. And I am sure that there were more.
      David Weaver

Comment

• Speedi-Winder

Originally posted by T Chance View Post
        1. Speeditwin.
        Tim; -knowing how much you love the Speeditwin, and its popularity at PRO races, do you think we should ask Ron S. that after he completes the Sidewinder project, he addresses the lack of new motors for C Service.
        Maybe a new 30" reed valve [to save costs]
        Speedi-Winder.
        Brian Hendrick, #66 F
        "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

• NOOOOOOOO NOOOOOO please NOO

Kristi Z-22

PRO Commissioner

APBA BOD

"Ask not what your racing organization can do for you...Ask what you can do for your racing organization"
          Tomtall 06

Comment

• Originally posted by bh/ View Post
            Tim; -knowing how much you love the Speeditwin, and its popularity at PRO races, do you think we should ask Ron S. that after he completes the Sidewinder project, he addresses the lack of new motors for C Service.
            Maybe a new 30" reed valve [to save costs]
            Speedi-Winder.
            Excellent idea. First we take one of the Speeditwins and send it to the Smithsonian. Then we take all the rest of them to the recycle center. Then we turn Ron loose. It doesn't have to be 30", half that size will do. Start with a Sidewinder crank, reed valves, opposed cylinders, loop scavenged. And a million dollars later you have an American made A (aka 250) Pro racing motor. But for the dozen that would be sold that would be about $100,000.00 each. So I guess we are stuck with the Speeditwin.

Seriously, my oldest Daughter's son is getting to racing age. My youngest Daughter wants to start racing again. A Sidewinder makes a lot of sense. It is new. And it is designed and built in the USA.

I know Pro 125 is a one cylinder no step-down class, but it would be nice to see a version of the sidewinder legal in Pro as an entry level class.

Comment

• Tim Tim Tim....

Is she young enough to run K Pro ? If not, then 125 is a great classs. Want the run the hot rod, go run stock.

You could get a HotRod and still come to the NBRA races. Get one for you and one for your daughter to race. That would be great to watch, Father vs daughter. I bet she kicks your azz.
              Dave Mason
              Just A Boat Racer

Comment

• Originally posted by ryan_4z View Post
                Ed, I am curious as to the workings of getting a rule change, and why the rule changes proposed in the plan are not already implemented. There was a section in the plan titled "Rule Changes". That was adopted along with the timeline, why is it necessary to repeat this process?
                Ryan: the simple answer to this question is that there were NO rule changes that were passed to implement the plan. The section to which you refer included only 1 rule change which was the rule to reduce the number of classes based upon lack of participation which, if you recall, went to ballot and was rejected by the members.
                Last edited by 14-H; 10-12-2007, 10:19 AM.
                14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Comment

• The members reject that???????????????????…. I am amazed that it failed….go figure.

I for one love watching 3 & 4 boat races.
                  I love going to races where we have to scrounge up enough boats to race.
                  I love driving and spending hundreds of dollars to find out there are only two boats in a class that showed up.
                  I love racing from sun-up to sun-down because we have 50 heats and 30 of those heats have 3 & 4 boats in them.
                  "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

• Originally posted by 371-M
                    Hey jeff, I know that not everyone can afford a new motor, just like a new manufacture cant be expected to afford to tool up, stock all parts and motors and then sit around and WAIT for US to decide to "phaze in" the new motor.
                    Now that's something I can agree with.

I'd just hate to see anybody "hang it up" 'cause they can't or won't buy the new motor.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X