Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albert
    commented on 's reply
    Doug and you have been my primary technical advisors. He has provided great info to me when I ask him the right question and well earned criticism when I express ideas that aren't based in good info.

Hopefully testing next to see if we can pinpoint why the motor still moving water very well. We're going to try a new prop, a new boat, then we start making changes to the hull.

• ZUL8TR
    commented on 's reply
    Luc That is good to flatten the case contact surface, grease is for the minor scratched and divots, need a good seal at the bearing circumference especially where the case is thin walled. FYI the Y80 champ racer I note above in comment 253.3 is Doug Andrews, he mentioned your name Luc on Y80 stuff (maybe another Luc?) in emails we shared on the Y80 tech items.
    Pete

• Albert
    commented on 's reply
    I did take the opportunity when the studs were out to take out some of the high spots with a piece of flat bar.
    Not as good as having it levelled in a mill but once again I’m going for improvement not perfection.

• ZUL8TR
    commented on 's reply
    Yes like butta! Get a good seal with the gear case to the tower, I swab the seal gasket both sides with thin coat of grease, no stick and good for any irregularities in mate surfaces.

• Albert
    replied
    I’ve tried 3 times to embed this video but alas here’s a link.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HSt2-e5ab8A

Time to do some shaping I think.

Leave a comment:

• ZUL8TR
    commented on 's reply
    The end, good show Luc. I use a small dab of red thread lock on that pinion gear nut and also on the prop shaft gear nut as extra precaution.

• ZUL8TR
    commented on 's reply
    I just removed the single metal shield on top bearing for better oil movement to bearing and top seal lip, that area is a dead end design. Pinion shaft seal in tower still there. A champ winning Y80 racer I have conversations with also removes shield. Those metal shields are not sealed to small dirt particles and somewhat restrict oil to top bearing and seal lip. When the gear case is bolted to the tower the entire assembly is sealed from all outside debris.

• Albert
    commented on 's reply
    Correct boss, bottom shield was removed.

Wait, do you mean you removed both seals and added another on top to get more oil to the top bearing ?
    Last edited by Albert; 07-29-2022, 11:16 AM.

• ZUL8TR
    commented on 's reply
    Top shield only.
    On my Y80 no shield, better oiling to the bearing and seal lip since a cul de sac dead end design

• Albert
    replied
    Vertical shaft complete.
    27727829-7BB1-4D29-998C-C71BB3F94818.jpeg

Leave a comment:

• Albert
    replied
    FB602537-2653-4B21-A0F1-B65B6912FE5E.jpeg

Leave a comment:

• Albert
    replied
    953FE868-7FB7-4959-ADFD-A251B3755F5C.jpeg

Leave a comment:

• Albert
    replied
    DFF855A1-601A-4C70-A45D-05F34D26B8A0.jpeg

Leave a comment:

• ZUL8TR
    commented on 's reply
    How about a pic of the caged roller bearing in the bore where the pinion shaft was removed from?

Was there a shim Under the Outside Diameter of that ball bearing, if there shim rests on the shelf in the case?

• Albert
    replied
    AE2B7A5B-F6FC-4C40-B0A8-A6A10E34CA41.jpeg

Leave a comment:

Working...
X