Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albert
    replied
    122175166_920632368465745_241989506366482359_n.jpg Ahhh, Who am I kidding I can't keep you folks in the dark.

Last edited by Albert; 11-29-2020, 08:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Albert
    replied
    Until it shuts down I'll keep updating this.
    Just wait for the 10k views special post....I'll give you all a hint. It looks like a boat again!!!

Leave a comment:

• ZUL8TR
    replied
    I had the same problem with a comment post to Currethers it indicated error and does not appear on the site but it appears in my posts made?

Leave a comment:

• modracer7b
    replied
    That is what I get and I also get it now if I try to comment on your post box. I contacted the site about the picture thing and was told that they would look into it, but nothing works yet. I know they were talking about giving up on the site because they do not race anymore and maybe the not working thing is a way to get to that point. Maybe we should consider using Ron Hill's Boatracingfacts site more as this site may be on it's way to being gone and all our posted information with it. I hate to see that happen, but one has to wonder with the diminished workings of this site.

Leave a comment:

• modracer7b
    commented on 's reply
    That is the same problem I get when I try to post a picture. I did contact the site about it and was told they would look into it. I try it every once in a while, but so far, nothing goes.

• Albert
    replied
    Ugh... Tried for a half an hour to get photos riposted on the first page with no luck. Keep getting "internal server error 500"

Here's a quick look back at where we started.

Leave a comment:

• ZUL8TR
    commented on 's reply
    Carruthers
    What are you using for fasteners, stainless, bronze, staples, nails? I see some pattern indicated on the sponson that look like staples but no traces visible on the bottom. What was the reason for the sponson seam large bevel rather than a typical miter fit that I recall from pics that was original on this hydro?
    Thanks
    Pete

• Carruthers
    commented on 's reply
    The coaming were actually 18mm thick! With all the previous repairs so I routered off 12 mm and added 3 mm to either side to make it both strong enough and look good and for the chines I added a layer of 3mm on the outside to strengthen the newly repaired air traps and the holes you see were made to offset the weight of the extra layer

• John Schubert
    replied
    Originally posted by bill hoctor View Post
    {sid son !} not craft !
    correct!!!!

Leave a comment:

• DeanFHobart
    replied
    Originally posted by Albert View Post
    Anyone in new england have some scrap stripped mahogany? Cant find any boat/furniture builders up here with any and a full sheet is cost prohibitive on this project. Anyone who knows these boats will know what its for a 3ft square piece would be enough...maybe even less depending on the shape of the off cut.
    Just an FYI suggestion... Try some on line mahogany wood sales... it should be out there.

Leave a comment:

• ZUL8TR
    replied
    Expert rebuild, never enough clamps and ways to use them.
    I see double skins on part of the left and right rear non trips with lightening holes. Were those original for extra strength by Shannon or were they added by Mr Carruthers with the new skins? Of the latter what was your reason?
    Pete

Leave a comment:

• pav225
    replied
    Really nice work Mr Carruthers!

Leave a comment:

• Albert
    replied
    Anyone in new england have some scrap stripped mahogany? Cant find any boat/furniture builders up here with any and a full sheet is cost prohibitive on this project. Anyone who knows these boats will know what its for a 3ft square piece would be enough...maybe even less depending on the shape of the off cut.

Leave a comment:

• Albert
    replied
    Great stories and history coming out here feel free to keep them coming. Looks like Carruthers had every clamp in use tonight. 122261165_679983776289886_6255947535646003678_n.jpg ​​​​​​​
    Last edited by Albert; 11-29-2020, 08:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bill hoctor
    replied
    Originally posted by DeanFHobart View Post

Shanon learned boat building when he worked for Mickey and Sid of the Sid Craft fame. Shanon and Craig’s father was the main editor and writer of the famous magazine Boat Sport, which was published during the 1950’s. One article was about Craig building his first J runabout when he was about 9 years old. Craig built the famous Broccoli runabouts.

FYI... you can see all of the Boat Sport magazines by going to... boatsport.org. Every issue and all pages are there. It is worth the time to look at them.
    {SID SON !} Not craft !

Leave a comment:

Working...
X