APBA decal rule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big Don View Post
    Let's talk about something that really matters. I get a call/email almost weekly asking me if I know when the Yamato engines are going to hit the states. Or when SIdewinder engines are going to be shipped. How about an update on that stuff from someone in the know? My response is always the same, they need to call Ed Runne or Rick Montoya. then I get, I've tried and get no answer. I then say well most of us do have day jobs and can't just drop what we are doing for every call.

How about an update from both parties to stop all the rumors? I'm guessing people are not going to have engines by Wakefield that need them at this point from either supplier?

Big Don............you are a senior member of the SORC and a powerful voice in APBA and yet you have to reach out through social media in a attempt to rattle the cages of Yamato and Sidewinder to get a response from these manufactures we vested our future in. Indeed this is a big deal and one the SORC should be worried about along with the membership! While the decal deal is a sidebar and tugs on the heartstrings due to a J kid being involved the bigger issue of engine suppliers is indeed lurking!! Off to Jesup next weekend to support racing. Anyone else coming south!!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Dagostino View Post

Big Don............you are a senior member of the SORC and a powerful voice in APBA and yet you have to reach out through social media in a attempt to rattle the cages of Yamato and Sidewinder to get a response from these manufactures we vested our future in. Indeed this is a big deal and one the SORC should be worried about along with the membership! While the decal deal is a sidebar and tugs on the heartstrings due to a J kid being involved the bigger issue of engine suppliers is indeed lurking!! Off to Jesup next weekend to support racing. Anyone else coming south!!
      As usual Matt makes sense,cut and paste this and also save this on a computer that Hillary can not touch. Then re post in 20 years APBA will be the same Her also lololololo

Comment

I had a small conversation with Ron via email as he was traveling, he indicated they are close to having 50 engines available.

They are also working on having J/A gear cases available soon.

He said he would give me an update when he’s back in the office and I will share those details when I get them.
        "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

Close to having what engines available? Yamato 302's, 102's? I'm on the verge of "getting going" here and we want to get into the 302SSH class. We have to have the sealed 302 for that...and these engines aren't available???

Dane Lance
          700-P
          CSH/500Mod

Comment

• Shane_B
            Shane_B commented
            Editing a comment
            New Yamatos will be the 321 - slight variation on the 302 design. I think I remember Ric Montoya saying EPA et al giving grief on the motor with regards to import - Ric should be able to give an update on that. There might be a couple of 302SSHs still available via APBA...(http://apbashop.com/products/yamato-302-motor). The Y321 is available from the UK also - http://www.yamatoracing.co.uk/home/4536916004.

• Hutch06
            Hutch06 commented
            Editing a comment
            Ed,
            The 302SSH class will be around for quite a while. I know TJ Johnston still has motors available. At some point in time, there will obviously have to be a conversion, as only the new '321' Yamato is available.
            We will make sure you can get a motor for the 302SSH class when you are ready.
            Looking forward to seeing you at Grass Lake,
            Elek

Ron builds the Sidewinder. Jack

Comment

Our rule books certainly need to be cleaned-up. I learned a lot last year when Jerry Davids served as inspector at the APBA PRO Nationals. Jerry pointed out a number of conflicts in our rules. We are working to clean these up. Sometimes, you simply need a fresh set of eyes.

Having 2 APBA stickers or decals on a boat does not strike me as burdensome. Other organizations have similar requirements. Why would you not have a sticker on each side? Maybe I am in the minority now, but many times I get questions from people travelling to races ( I have an open trailer). APBA is easy for them to remember. Heck, APBA, USTS, NBRA, UIM...I guess all those have been on my boats.....I want to promote outboard boat racing...

AS for the criticism of the inspector and race committee; we ask for volunteers, hand them a rule book and then bash them for enforcing it? Do not attack the officials, give them the rules that "we" want to race under.........

Last edited by David Weaver; 06-15-2015, 04:13 PM. Reason: typo
            David Weaver

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              You are right on Dave, the BOD writes the rules, the referee is required to follow and enforce the rules. If you have a problem with any rule you then need to have it changed thru your BOD.

• raceright
              raceright commented
              Editing a comment
              David I understand the need for RULES this was a driving force when I decided to become a Pro Commissioner> I was complaining about some rules and Pete Voss told me to shut up or put up,get involved if you want to change things so he step down as Region 2 commissioner and I became region 2 commissioner. I was very influential in rewriting several Pro Rules for what myself and several other commissioners deemed necessary. That said as I was not involved with recent Pro Nationals it does not surprise me that Jerry (a great guy who loves boat racing) found some Pro rules not being aheared to. Here lies the difference between the categories STRICK INTERPERTATIONS AND LOOSE INTERPERTATIONS. As the rules used at last years nationals have been the same at several previous nationals other inspectors over looked what they considered unimportant rules,you say different eyes i say different mind set. One reason i never and still do not believe Stock Mod and Pro rules should be combined. Throwing someone out for a minor in-fracture could do more harm than good. Adding to that Bill inspector at Lake Alfred gave my son Jimmy a break over a minor rule (especially considering he is in a capsule) and Jimmy went on and won the race,a strict interpretation would have left him on the beach as some comments from other officials who are not just involved with Pro would have enforced. So Sean region 1 could use you as a commissioner and you can get this rule changed.
              Last edited by raceright; 06-16-2015, 04:01 AM.

It is pretty sad we are all up in arms of stickers, but sit back and think about it. The racers have just about zero say so in the rule book. The COmmisioners dictate what is sent onto the membership for voting. The Saftey rules are not even required to be part of a discussion with the members. They are simply told what they have been doing for a long time is suddenly not legal ? There is much much more to this than stickers. Stickers and the heart strings was just the catalyst to under lying problems.

Since someone asked, I will be blunt, and mention this about APBA. If you are not in the clique, you ain't going to change or influence anything.
            Dave Mason
            Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M View Post
              It is pretty sad we are all up in arms of stickers, but sit back and think about it. The racers have just about zero say so in the rule book. The COmmisioners dictate what is sent onto the membership for voting. The Saftey rules are not even required to be part of a discussion with the members. They are simply told what they have been doing for a long time is suddenly not legal ? There is much much more to this than stickers. Stickers and the heart strings was just the catalyst to under lying problems.

Since someone asked, I will be blunt, and mention this about APBA. If you are not in the clique, you ain't going to change or influence anything.
              Well Dave your opinion about APBA & commissioners is not quite accurate. Being directly involved and you can make a difference. Untill i became a commissioner I also only complained with fellow members. But going to meetings and getting involved makes people think you are serious and not just a wind bag.
              True it might have been easier for me in Pro but when ya step up to the plate ya can get things done in all of APBA or any other orginization sports or not.

Comment

• Dave M
                Dave M commented
                Editing a comment
                Pat,

I was a commissioner in APBA as well. And also, how can my opinion not be accurate ? It is an opinion...... Opinons are just that, opinions...... I am confused how you could say that.

I am currently a commisioner in another organization, as well as on the safety committee. So I do know what is going on, and how it goes. My opinions are not based on what I read on any website, or what you write. I am involved, or is it your opinion that this is not enough to be considered involved ? If so, your opinion is not accurate... you get my point I hope.

Dave
              I found the APBA Pro Commissioners to be very fair and did represent there regions and members well. Working with Hq was a little difficult as well as other categories but if I stayed with APBA HQ would have adjusted over time. Not that your opinion is anything else but different than mine.

Comment

A few quick thoughts after I lick my wounds from mostly likely my worst weekend ever racing D stock hydro.....the stock commission is well aware of the 302/321 situation....Jeff Brewster and myself have conversations at least once a week on the issue....both regarding 302 SSH and the rest of stock outboarding classes that use the motor. Rest assured, the problem of no motors available WILL be solved. As far as the decal rule? I have been racing for 30 years, been on the commission for something like 14 years....and I honestly did not know you had to have 2 stickers on hull. We made an announcement at drivers meeting Saturday morning about the issue and gave out a TON of stickers, one to myself. We have to respect the decisions of the race committee. I don't know Billy Allen that well....but from what I understand he is a good guy...I just do not see him tossing somebody out without a good reason. Also remember...this all goes both ways. Seattle Outboard Association, one of the biggest racing clubs in the country.....is having a very hard time getting people to become inspectors....referees, race directors etc. Why? Because when you have to disqualify somebody......for whatever reason, some racers go into a tizzy, get pissed off.....threaten people.....you get the idea. I used to be head inspector at about half of SOA's races....and I just got sick of people getting in my face because they were to lazy to come up and weigh rig in the morning and they were 1 pound light in the afternoon. I threw them out. People also *****ed and moaned about illegal fuel....the list goes on and on and on. If the racer in question was warned about the rule....was told he/she had to have a second sticker, and did not comply, I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for them. Where do we draw the line here? It may seem ticky tack....but I would back up Mr Allen 100% here. And I do hope the racer in question does not quit...but maybe learns from the experience. I know I sure have learned from getting thrown out over the years. Just my 2 cents worth. Dave

Comment

Working...
                X