No announcement yet.

APBA decal rule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was told (so it is second hand info) that the driver was warned at the previous race (Standish in May 2015) about the sticker. He was even given stickers to put on but elected not to since he planned on wrapping the boat within the next few weeks.

The call was made by the inspector.

Again I was not there this is just what I was told.

I am not defending the inspector or the driver, in my opinion both were wrong. The driver should have put the sticker on, the inspector should have had the referee issue a yellow card if the above story is true in lieu of a DQ.
    444-B now 4-F
    Avatar photo credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

• Matt Dagostino
      Matt Dagostino commented
      Editing a comment
      Howie..............the sticker was on the boat at Standish after the stickers were issued (the previous race you reference per Fastjack). However the driver only put the sticker on one side of the boat and not both sides and hence the DQ. Per Fastjack.

• modracer7b
      modracer7b commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr US A-TEAM himself, what a disappointing way to promote boat racing

Originally posted by tcf284 View Post
    the only rule that should aloud for disqualifying someone should be for performance rules some thing on the boat or motor the enhances the performance period , safety rules should be check and corrected before the race an unsafe boat should not be on the water once an inspector looks it over and it is later discovered a safety issue exist it should not be allowed on the water again until corrected as far as having a decal that should be a "hey buddy get that taking care of asap ok" and life goes on , this has become a hobby we don't get paid for wins and if you do it is few and far between so to protest someone for something as small as this is pathetic I mean seriously let's just go out there race each other safely help each other out and enjoy our friendships with each other and our company just saying
    AMEN to Bob & TOM !!!

Comment

Originally posted by flatsmoke View Post
      This is easy. The boat MUST have the APBA name or logo on each side of the subject boat. The surface MUST be vertical. In addition, APBA.ORG MAY be put on the subject boat. When I joined APBA they sent me an approved APBA decal. And,PBA sells them in different colors.....
      All the APBA decals I've receive from payment of yearly dues are laying in a box in my basement because they have all been damaged due to being folded in half and stuffed into a business envelope. The crease in the center of each decal prevents them from laying flat when pressed into place. Even if you can press out the crease they look cheap because they are not die cut letters. I've had to custom order die cut decals from a local print shop. Just saying!!

16N

Comment

I Say Halt! Vere is Your Stickers! LOL

Comment

KEIN! KEIN! KEIN!
          Last edited by john527; 06-10-2015, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve77t View Post
            Why do we look for ways to throw people out of racing than ways to keep them in? Bad A$$ that threw you out should be fired as any inspector or judge as they are on a power trip, A simple warnig of " For tomorrow you will..." would do. If it were a performance enhancer then yes throw em out! but a decal missing? Really?
            Steve,

I totally agree........... This is the Biggest CS thing I have heard of. We have a hard enough time KEEPING PEOPLE IN THE SPORT as it is....... Yes fire that inspector.

Now you know why the USTS left APBA. APBA cannot figure out what is important and what is not.

Regards To All,

Dean Hobart......... Racing Boats Since 1962.
            sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• Matt Dagostino
              Matt Dagostino commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey Dean..........i believe this in the hands of the J Committee/APBA now for review. It will be interesting to see ALL THE FACTS here. I can't believe inspector Allen would pitch a J Class kid without a warning??? I believe there was some previous history from a previous race in play. But indeed to DQ a person over a non-speed advantage issue without warning is chicken sh..t. Whether a 'decal' or a 'pickle tip' it is just cheesy. We shall see how the facts unfold!

I for one have no problem with them being DQ'd if they were told at the last race and given decals required as mentioned. They were warned and given the items they needed. The racer did not do what was asked, didn't look it up in the rules, and directly disobeyed the inspector request. If they were unclear they could have EASILY asked the inspector prior the heat race what he needed to do to comply. It's not the inspectors fault. I've never met an inspector in boat racing that is on a power trip or anything, they have always tried to find a way to help. I feel they were likely warned already. If you guys all think the rules is ridiculous, remove the rule, rules are made by the racers or people you elect. The inspectors just follow the rule book and sounds as though he gave them the chance to correct the issue once already. As far as being a dumb rule... I haven't been in any motorsport where the league/sanctioning body doesn't require their decal to be placed in a certain way on the vehicle.

Of course all this is hearsay... the inspector and racer know what went down... we're the peanut gallery.
            Fralick Racing
            Like our Facebook Team page "Here"

Comment

I totally agree with Larry. The decals the send out are pretty terrible.

A nice vinyl transfer can be made in quantity with no problem. If one of the powers will call me, I can get pricing for the item.
              I'm in the label business and I do lot's of large run transfers. I would do them for my cost plus 5% to cover set up fees and tooling.

The run can be combined to accommodate all the popular colors, red, blue, black etc. I would suggest the decal be made to fit in a #10 envelope so you don't have to fold it. It seems postage and envelopes are a big cost for APBA.

My guess is this would cost APBA less than what we do know.

Tim
              Tim Weber

Comment

• Matt Dagostino
                Matt Dagostino commented
                Editing a comment
                Tim............members have been complaining about the 'folded up' decals for years and nothing has changed. Good luck my friend.

Wow. Some things just never change. Sad Reality.
              Dave Mason
              Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Hey guess what everyone...I'm going to defend APBA. APBA didn't throw this driver out. The race committee did, none of us know the entire story.

Let's just say this driver was never warned, then I agree it was chicken ####.

But let's say he was warned, then warned again, then again...is it justified. I say yes.

So, Fastjack...what's the story? Were you ever warned previous to this DQ?
                "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

• Fastjack
                  Fastjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Don , We were given stickers @ The Standish race . I applied them to the new 25ssh, runabout and Jacks new 25 SSH. The AXS and my 25h along with the ash had stickers visable on them. Jack placed in AXH and went to tech and was passed -also the 25 Runabout passed . He placed and was waved off in 25ssh. Having known we passed tech @ Standish I never thought about stickers again. I am the race director and put on the Standish race for the past 10? years. Other aspects of a 3 day race were on my mind and I did not give stickers a second thought. At Milton we were missing 1 sticker on the AXH and given a DQ. My origional post was to locate the rule ( in the By Laws??) I was not aware 2 stickers were required ( I got one stuck to its self with my membership) Yes I made a simple mistake( screw me ) but DQ the kid ?? .Today we looked at Duel sport bikes and a toy hauler.. Shawn

• Fastjack
                  Fastjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  OH yea - On the second day of racing at Milton Jack took first in AXH and was waived off by the inspector .

• Black Sheep
                  Black Sheep commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Big Don, You have been around this sport waaaaay too long to "Muddy Up" these waters with facts... This is the beauty of Social Media, people can develop their conclusion without wasting time on the facts. All the while flexing their keyboard muscles bind a computer screen while still in their boxers...

Just a comparison of DQ’s for non-speed advantage rules. The Pro Category’s Paddle Rule. I have been tossed at a Nationals for not having a paddle. I have seen others pitched for no paddles especially in the K-Pro and OSY classes. Guess what, it’s the rule. Hard way to learn but you better bet I have extra paddles in the trailer. (Or at least a fresh sharpie and a large shim stick)

As for the people whining about the sticker provided, when you order boat numbers, get APBA stickers to match. Done.

Not to be a jerk, this stuff is simple guys! To think about quitting or complaining about this stuff is ridiculous.

I will be sorry I entered the discussion.
                Zach R-13

Comment

• bill van steenwyk
                  bill van steenwyk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  APBA Stickers and a paddle are two different things. A sticker, especially the way they fold it and the condition you get it in and have to then put it on your boat, and a paddle that could save your or someone elses ass when you have crapped out in a turn where rooster tales make it hard to see, are two different things entirely. I have seen heats stopped costing competitors championships and also accidents because the person did not have a paddle to get off the course. Collisions when both boats are moving are bad enough, but when one is stationary just that much worse.

And no I don't think you are a jerk, just not really thinking about the two situations as they are entirely different.

Hey Zach, the sharpie and shim stick won't work, LOL, I've tried that. While we were not DQ'ed we were written up. But I just chalked it up to the inspector not liking me.

But we were thrown out for not paddling far enough off the course on a different occasion.
                "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

• R13racer
                  R13racer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, seems like they just don’t like you…

It seems to me if it is required you should get two stickers per class you register in.. So if you register for stock, mod and pro you should get 6 unfolded stickers.. At the cost of membership for these classes they should be able to do this...
                Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Eliminate the rule, problem solved.

Comment

• csick
                    csick commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Amen, Amen, Amen

16N

• blueskyracer
                    blueskyracer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That would be the easiest solution

To be honest I've been an APBA member for 20 years and didn't even know about the two sticker rule. I guess it's never come up. My boats always have one for sure, but not sure about two. I'd have to check I guess, LOL.

As far as being thrown out for it, Sounds like the driver was warned before the race occurred, but what do I know I was 3,000 miles away from the race

And are we really complaining that the stickers from APBA are folded? wow....slow week I guess.
                  Kyle Bahl
                  20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

Working...
                  X