Konig 250cc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smitty
    WD-40 stands for "Water-Displacing Formula #40." It is a light oil. It does not cause rust. Yes, running the engine on gas-and-oil is even better, but I was trying to keep the directives simple for Paul, who admits to being new to all this.
    WD-40 also is used for drying out stuff. It is good just not ment for preserving and petrol products don't mix with vegetable products

Comment

Well, being an old Aircracft Maintainance guy for a major airline we banned the use of WD-40 in the workplace years ago. Why?? Because WD-40 attracts and absorbs moisture. A really lousy preservative. LPS-3 is what is used in the work place now.
      bill b

Comment

Thanks for all the responses guy's !!!!!, If It wasen't for you guy's I'd be totally lost!!,
        I work in the aircraft industry and diden"t know that about WD40 !!!!!!!!!!

I had alot of people PM me asking if the motor was for sale, I don't know what it's worth $$ ? but Unfortunatly!! ..I will keep it and carefully run it this summer !!, My long term goal is to play with this thing for the summer and join TORC and go racing next year. at that time I will probably sell it to help buy a competative engine...perhaps 25 SSH.

So be prepared for a lot of stupid question's ...cause I got'em !!!!!

Thanks again for the Help!!!!!
        Cheers!!!!!
        paul h

Comment

Originally posted by paul h
          Thanks for all the responses guy's !!!!!, If It wasen't for you guy's I'd be totally lost!!,
          I work in the aircraft industry and diden"t know that about WD40 !!!!!!!!!!

I had alot of people PM me asking if the motor was for sale, I don't know what it's worth $$ ? but Unfortunatly!! ..I will keep it and carefully run it this summer !!, My long term goal is to play with this thing for the summer and join TORC and go racing next year. at that time I will probably sell it to help buy a competative engine...perhaps 25 SSH.

So be prepared for a lot of stupid question's ...cause I got'em !!!!!

Thanks again for the Help!!!!!
          Cheers!!!!!
          paul h
          Well If you run it and need any parts I have them. Crank parts ignition and all, even new exhausts Steve

Comment

Bill,
            I know old A&Ps who swore by WD-40 and sprayed it in the wings of Connies to postpone corrosion from condensation.

Steve,
            If you have been around this sport for any length of time, you are probably aware of the name and reputation of the late Harry "Zak" Pasturzak. Harry knew more about making Konigs go fast and last than you or I, or probably any member of this website. If I get around to finding some old letters from Zak, I can copy off a verbatim quote describing his recommended post-race "pickling" of a Konig running methanol/Blendzall. It specifically calls for the use of WD-40 as part of the proceedure.

Comment

Bill,
              Looked at your post again. WD-40 is not intended as a preservative, like LPS-3. It is a moisture displacer, and it won't keep doing its job after it dries out. People spray WD-40 on metal parts as if it were cosmoline, store the parts in an unheated shed, and two years later dig out the parts and find they are rusty. I think incidents like that are how word got around that WD-40 "attracts moisture." But it's easy to test on your own; just spray some water on a metal part, then hit it with WD-40 and watch it break the surface tension of the water, which then rolls off in big drops.

Comment

Steve,
                If you have been around this sport for any length of time, you are probably aware of the name and reputation of the late Harry "Zak" Pasturzak. Harry knew more about making Konigs go fast and last than you or I, or probably any member of this website. If I get around to finding some old letters from Zak, I can copy off a verbatim quote describing his recommended post-race "pickling" of a Konig running methanol/Blendzall. It specifically calls for the use of WD-40 as part of the proceedure.
                Harry aka Zak was great and is missed by all. I too have stacks of notes hand written by him, and I still refer back to them from time to time for certain projects. He was good with the Konigs and other motors as well. Steve Litzell has been racing for 35+ years and actually worked for Deiter Konig in the factory for several years building, developing, racing, and testing Konig motors. Both of these guys know more about these motors than any of us will ever know. To say one knows more than the other is not fair nor important. Bottom line is, if you want to learn listen to the people than know best. I know my crankshafts last 2 years, so I must be doing something right. And yes, Steve Litzell does my crank work.

Sattler
                Sattler Racing R-15
                350cc Pro Alcohol Hydro
                TEAM VRP
                The Original "Lunatic Fringe"

Spokane Appraiser

Comment

Bill,
                  Looked at your post again. WD-40 is not intended as a preservative, like LPS-3. It is a moisture displacer, and it won't keep doing its job after it dries out. People spray WD-40 on metal parts as if it were cosmoline, store the parts in an unheated shed, and two years later dig out the parts and find they are rusty. I think incidents like that are how word got around that WD-40 "attracts moisture." But it's easy to test on your own; just spray some water on a metal part, then hit it with WD-40 and watch it break the surface tension of the water, which then rolls off in big drops.
                  Ok you are right. I will say it again. you will not find WD-40 in the workplace at any Major Airline Maintenance area. What you will see is LPS-3. Back in the mid 1960's we used to wash down the Reverser Actuators on Jet engines as preventive maintenance with WD-40. Well maintenance problems started to increase big time. Found the problem to be the WD-40. We switched to LPS-3 and the maintenance problems stopped. now lets get back on to the subject of this neat motor.
                  bill b

Comment

Konigs

I once knew a guy who owned a business called For Konigs Only. I wonder where he went
                    Speed costs money. So, how fast do you want to go?

Comment

Bill, take it easy, we're taking about how to keep Paul's Konig in good shape for somebody's collection someday. I don't sell WD-40. I still like Steve's idea of running the engine for a while on gas-and-oil to get all the alcohol out. It seems to me that even a "de-gummed" castor oil can hold enough of the alcohol next to machined parts to attract moisture and cause rust. Union Carbide used to make a polyglycol snowmobile oil which would mix with either methanol or gasoline. I would think this would be the kind of thing for Paul to use both when he is running around the lake on alky, and running the engine on the beach on gasoline.

Comment

Smitty, no offense, Steve is the expert all the pro guys run their motors with gas and oil after use then spray the pipes down with some type of oil. have not seen anyone use WD-40. If they do it is not a good idea. when it drys out RUST
                        bill b

Comment

250 Konig

The WD-40 on the pipes just dries them off before coating them with a good rust preventive. I always did it that way and never had any concerns with deterioration. Rule of thumb..........when in doubt or even when NOT in doubt, always listen to Steve Litzell. Walt Blankenstine isn't taking calls and Steve has the answers.....BAR NONE.......Charley Bradley

Comment

WD 40 and pipes

Actually we do spray the pipes with WD#40 before we put them in the trailer so they don't rust. We do not use it inside the engine. As far as the engines we drain the carbs clean the engine with carb spray and put it back in the trailer.
                            No rust, no gum

Kristi

Kristi Z-22

PRO Commissioner

APBA BOD

"Ask not what your racing organization can do for you...Ask what you can do for your racing organization"
                            Tomtall 06

Comment

Not Kevin's Engine

Kristi,

I know that the post race routione that you described does not apply to Kevin. You need to the following steps:

1) Turn boat back over
                              2) Remove spark plugs
                              3) Pull start cord approximately 100 times while occaisionally spraying gas into the cylinders.
                              4)Replace spark plugs
                              5) Pull start rope another 20 times or until engine starts.
                              6) Idle engine for a while.
                              7) Send boat to Tom Cronk's for repair
                              8) Secure promise from Kevin that this not happen again!!

David Weaver

Comment

Dave

You forgot drain the gas tank and replace with fresh fuel
                                Ask Kevin if he would prefer to race Go Carts?
                                Kristi

Kristi Z-22

PRO Commissioner

APBA BOD

"Ask not what your racing organization can do for you...Ask what you can do for your racing organization"
                                Tomtall 06

Comment

Working...
                                X