No announcement yet.

Konig 250cc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mom its never kevins fault though the Wind picks up and just carrys him over! Dont blame Kevin blame the weather!

Mike Ellison
    Z-11

Comment

Originally posted by BoatRacer2009
      Mom its never kevins fault though the Wind picks up and just carrys him over! Dont blame Kevin blame the weather!

Mike Ellison
      Z-11
      so it was the weather's fault at depue when he flipped milling, and it was the weather's fault when he flipped at depue in the turn, and it was the weather's fault when he flipped at all the other races he's flipped at??? just my point of view!!!heck...i can't remember all the times he's fliiped he's done it so many times...i guess the weather just doesn't like him or something!!!
      luv ya mike...

amy
      z-14

Comment

Originally posted by Amy Eldredge
        so it was the weather's fault at depue when he flipped milling, and it was the weather's fault when he flipped at depue in the turn, and it was the weather's fault when he flipped at all the other races he's flipped at??? just my point of view!!!heck...i can't remember all the times he's fliiped he's done it so many times...i guess the weather just doesn't like him or something!!!
        luv ya mike...

amy
        z-14
        Amy,

Be nice, you are beginning to sound like a girlfriend or a wife.

DW
        David Weaver

Comment

Originally posted by David Weaver
          Amy,

DW
          hahaha...you are so funny...crack me up!!!
          you know all i said was true though...about kevin...always flippin...

amy
          z-14

Comment

1973 S1 Kawi . . .

I believe that was the one I owned, 250cc, 2-stroke, 3 cylinder. Very unique idling sound! The Kawi ate gas and spark plugs, but after a few tweaks it would break a ton (100 MPH+). Great acceleration, but don't try the twisties. Kawi triples weren't renowned for their handling.
            carpetbagger

Comment

[QUOTE=David Weaver]

Good one Weaver.........

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Kristi Ellison
                Dave

....Ask Kevin if he would prefer to race Go Carts?
                Kristi
                oh yeah, then it would be

1) Turn kart back over
                2) Remove spark plug
                3) Remove grass from helmet
                4) Replace spark plug
                5) Get the first aid kit out again to put MORE band-aids on his boo boos.
                6) Idle engine for a while.
                7) Send kart to frame shop for straightening
                8) Secure promise from Kevin that this not happen again!!

I think I was there for his very first flip
                I always thought growing up would be cool, I was wrong!
                The other day GG laughed at me because I take more pills a day than she does....

Comment

waterdisplacementformula#40

Originally posted by bill boyes
                  Smitty, no offense, Steve is the expert all the pro guys run their motors with gas and oil after use then spray the pipes down with some type of oil. have not seen anyone use WD-40. If they do it is not a good idea. when it drys out RUST
                  The more you use the more you need !!!
                  Good thing we don't use it to dry plug wires just before we hit the S button.
                  Andy wasn't wrong about everything.
                  Novi was half rite.
                  RichardKCMo
                  RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

This is Good...

Originally posted by Dave_E71
                    oh yeah, then it would be

1) Turn kart back over
                    2) Remove spark plug
                    3) Remove grass from helmet
                    4) Replace spark plug
                    5) Get the first aid kit out again to put MORE band-aids on his boo boos.
                    6) Idle engine for a while.
                    7) Send kart to frame shop for straightening
                    8) Secure promise from Kevin that this not happen again!!

I think I was there for his very first flip
                    Now this stuff is some of the funniest I have seen on here for a while ! Welcome back humor !!!
                    Dave Mason
                    Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Oh, great, now I have to hunt for a letter I haven't seen for twenty or thirty years . . . sigh!

I think I am done offering opinions.

Comment

Harry ZAK and preserving PRO motors

The thread by PRO Hydroracer broght back many memories of Harry. He built all my motors from the late 1960's starting with C and D Konigs through the early 90's when he passed away. At one time the motors he built for me to run in RB held 90 percent of the competition records for that class and a motor he built in the mid 80's still holds the RB Kilo record at a little over 90MPH with ONE 25MM carb. He was in a class of his own, with the others of his time such as Christner, Blankenship, Leavendusky, and others I knew only by reputation. He never felt that the engines he built and maintained belonged to anyone but himself, and I don't mean that to imply he was selfish or possessive, just that he treated each engine he blessed with his touch and workmanship like he owned it, and it was merely loaned to you to run for as long as you needed it. If you didn't treat it right as far as maintenance or take care of it like he suggested you should, you would hear about it, at least I did. I suppose if I had put in all the late hours he did, I would have been the same way. He spent so much time on the phone with racers of all type, boat, cart, bikes, etc., he never got started on his work until about l0:00 or 11:00 PM., and then he would work all nite to get it ready for you. The thread regards how to care for the engine after running and how to store it by Bill Kurps and the sulfur in WD-40 reminds me of a real tongue lashing I got for spraying some type of spray can stuff in my engines after a race in NY in the mid 80's. We left the equipment there as we had another race the next weekend (USTS) and when I got back a week later and tried to run the engines, the cranks went out in both of them, after only a couple laps. When Harry tore them down, they were filled with rust and corrosion, just like you had poured acid in them, and that started the research project regards oils that Bill Kurps mentioned. He put various engine parts into mason jars, (about 20 if I remember correctly) including WD40 and all the other types of protectants and rust preventatives availiable at that time and let the parts sit for about 6-8 months over the fall/winter/spring. He also ran the same test with blendzall (degummed) and gasoline. Seems that mixture was the only thing that did not have some kind of negative effect on the parts in the jars. So, for the next 10 years, I and others ran our engines on premium or av gas (highest octane possible to counter detonation) and blendzall, on the bank after racing. This accomplshed several things. Dried the engine out if it had moisture in it, didn't put any more moisture in the engine cause there was no alcohol being burned, no alcohol residue left in the engine to attract moisture in the following weeks while the motor was stored, and a nice coating of degummed castor left in the engine. We also mixed the blenzall 10 to l instead of 20 to one to leave plenty of lube in the engine. In addition, by draining the carb of alcohol before running and then hooking a tank with the afore mentioned mixture in it directly to the carb, it washed the carb out also. Some folks followed that up with a direct gas only pressure wash through the carbs, so they would not sit with any oil in them. Never had a problem after that attributed to moisture in an engine or any rusting/corrosion of any kind. I have an engine in the basement that hasn't run in 10 years that was treated that way, and it still rotates as freely as the day I took it out of the trailer. I am sure there are other successful ways in use by others, and the point is not to belittle any of those, but tell about something that worked for me. The best part of this whole thing though, Is I got to think about some of the good times with Harry ZAK and that is worth it all by itself.

Bill Van Steenwyk

Comment

Konig 250cc

Paul,

Looking at your Konig it looks like you have a good example of an HRA, not an FA. The HRA had the plugs at the back and the mag at the front. The FA was reversed, plugs at the front, mag at the back. I have both an HRA and an FA that I use to race during the '60s and '70s. The HRA was dynamite on a short course with short pipes and 15% nitro. The FA just wanted to wind out and was a great long course motor.

I bought the HRA from Bill Hutchins in '64 and the FA came out of the box at Walt Blankenstein's shop in Lakeland in '65.

I have a spec sheet on the "A". If you're interested I can email or fax you a copy.

After reading everyone's comments I would have to agree that getting something that is a "go fast" without the Decibels will make you a lot more user friendly in your neighbourhood then a straight stack Konig screaming it's anger at 10,000 revs. The sound they produce is like music to my ears but not everyone appreciates pain!

Let me know and good luck!

Canoogie

worldwide@lks.net

Comment

Flippin Kids

Amy

Before you beat up Kevin too bad on the internet... how many times have you flipped?? Cause I'm thinking your engine has had it's plugs removed and roped a few 100 times more than once....

Gee David and Dave I think I sound like a Mom or a Mom!!

Kristi

Kristi Z-22

PRO Commissioner

APBA BOD

"Ask not what your racing organization can do for you...Ask what you can do for your racing organization"
                            Tomtall 06

Comment

... how many times have you flipped?? Cause I'm thinking your engine has had it's plugs removed and roped a few 100 times more than once....
                              I can only speak for myself but, I don't think I have enough fingers and toes to count that high

Gee David and Dave I think I sound like a Mom or a Mom!!
                              That's scary!
                              Ok, ok, I'm sitting in the corner in time out now

(and yeah, you sound like my mom)

Dave
                              I always thought growing up would be cool, I was wrong!
                              The other day GG laughed at me because I take more pills a day than she does....

Comment

Zak

All this talk of Zak reminded me of another less known story. Zak was a great guy and an intelligent man. I had a buddy once who became extra good friends with his granddaughter at the Depue Nationals one year. Too bad it didn't have any fringe benefits for the race team (no free motor work or extra secrets.) But boy did he have a good story to tell.
                                Speed costs money. So, how fast do you want to go?

Comment

Working...
                                X