Konig 250cc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Konig 250cc

I picked up this motor and a 10"6' hydro to play around the cottage with.
    The engine needs to be torn down since it's been sitting since 1975.
    Is there anybody familiar with this engine, I can't find information on this other than the spec's listed below, Any comments experiance good/bad etc.
    is well is appreciated.!!
    Would I be better off converting it to gas ? or just sell the thing and get a Merc 25SS !! ??

Thanks in advance !
    Cheers
    Paul H
    516@Rogers.com

20:1 methenol/castor oil)
    Aprox. 1957-1960 ?? I think !!
    14.82 cu in
    32 HP @ 8000 rpm
    16:1 compression ratio
    Bore 2.11 x 2.3 stroke
    piston port
    Bosch magneto
    2 carbs aprox.980" throat dia.
    30 inches tall
    Weight is 55 lbs.

Are you short of enemies?

Don't get me wrong, I think that old Konig is really cool. BUT, if you were to fire that thing up and run around on most lakes the backlash from your neighbors would be brutal. It has been a long time since I last heard the exhaust note of a Konig with megaphones, but if memory serves me it was only slightly less annoying than a 20H popper. Get a stock motor to play with and save yourself the grief. Even then some guy on the far end of the lake will still complain if he didn't catch any fish while you were out there.

Comment

Originally posted by pops67g
      Don't get me wrong, I think that old Konig is really cool. BUT, if you were to fire that thing up and run around on most lakes the backlash from your neighbors would be brutal. It has been a long time since I last heard the exhaust note of a Konig with megaphones, but if memory serves me it was only slightly less annoying than a 20H popper. Get a stock motor to play with and save yourself the grief. Even then some guy on the far end of the lake will still complain if he didn't catch any fish while you were out there.
      I agree that this motor will bring the noise police to you in short order. But on the other hand I have most parts still new for this type motor. I also know how to work on them a little.
      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve77t
        I also know how to work on them a little.
        Steve
        Now that is funny stuff.........

Coming from a guy who worked in the factory...
        Sattler Racing R-15
        350cc Pro Alcohol Hydro
        TEAM VRP
        The Original "Lunatic Fringe"

Spokane Appraiser

Comment

Paul, that is a very very good example of that motor, a rare find!
          Finding the original type straight pipes is even more rare.
          The motor has a serial number stamped on it somewhere (probably near the base of the block). That would tell the exact year. Your other information is probably correct.

sell the thing and get a Merc 25SS??
          I'd be afraid the 25SS has a much higher value to most collectors and hobbyists than the König does. Sort of like comparing a Kawasaki H1R to a Suzuki water buffalo.

Do I see Kawasaki triple cylinders on the counter behind the König?
          Last edited by sam; 05-01-2005, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.

There was another gentlemen offering Konig information on another website back in 1999 ??...I think the name was "Stefan Tietz" he worked at the Konig factory, I tried his email address but with no sucsess, He was offering a spec sheet or set up information on this motor. Could that be Steve77T ?

I could well imagine that this engine is going to create alot of Noise !!
            and will be very difficult to go for a spin...only when the time is right !!!
            Perhaps I will just keep it for the summer...Just for the experience ~!

I have no experience with methenol or castor oil.
            Question: Is methenol and alcohol the same. ?? If not,can I run either ??
            Can I use a synthetic 2 stroke oil like "MOTUL" instead of castor oil,??
            If not where can I get castor oil ??

I remember back in the day's of dinasour oil and two strokes, plug fouling
            was a major headache !! I'm not sure if this will still be a problem... (if I can run synthetics,) or is this a whole new ball game with methenol. ?

Sorry for all the questions !! any help would be appreciated !!

Hey Sam ...You got sharp eyes !!! , Those are Kawasaki triple S3 cylinders !!! (I vintage road race the Kawasaki triples in the VRRA)

Comment

I had several S2's ... they would pass anything but a gas station with that dinky 3.2 gallon tank. I carried 6 spare spark plugs and a plug wrench, too. Is the S3 any better? My father still has his all original garage kept 1970 H1. It still runs like new.

Stephan is in Germany and has a large collection of Königs of all ages and types. I do not know for sure if he worked for König. Steve Litzell did work with König ... he is Steve77T

Methanol is "wood" alcohol. Not all synthetics will mix with alcohol; go by the label. Castor oil is still available. Castrol and Klotz are 2 oil makers that I know of that still sell castor oil.
              Last edited by sam; 05-01-2005, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sam
                Castrol and Klotz are 2 oil makers that I know of that still sell castor oil.

Blendzall makes good castor oil that many PRO guys run. Just make sure, that what ever you buy that it WILL MIX WITH ALCOHOL. Most 2 stroke oils will only mix with gas.
                Sattler Racing R-15
                350cc Pro Alcohol Hydro
                TEAM VRP
                The Original "Lunatic Fringe"

Spokane Appraiser

Comment

Is the S3 any better?
                  The S3 has a smoother power band and a rubber mounted engine it's the kinda bike you could drive all day, The S2 in comparison is very peaky, lot's of vibration... more fun !!, I have both bikes and never change plugs because they are fouled, I think because of the new synthetics...not like the old day's

Thanks for the Help on sorting out the castor oil for me.
                  I should be able to locate one of these :Castrol, Klotz, Blendzall

Now to find the alcohol or methenol in my area. !!

Cheers
                  Paul H

Comment

Castor oil is not a good choice for you; racers put up with its drawbacks because they have to. Find out which of the Red Line synthetics is alcohol-compatible. Alcohol-burning 2-strokes need extra maintenance. Alcohol absorbs moisture out of the air and rusts and corrodes metal parts in a hurry. Castor oil, even Blendzall, leaves a layer of sticky goo in the engine which is very, very difficult to remove once it has set up. If you must run this engine, use the synthetic oil; drain the carbs and line afterwards, and douse the engine with WD-40 very liberally thru the carbs and spark plug holes while pulling the engine thru several times. This is a really neat old FA Konig from the late '50s, and should be kept in good shape. It is a lousy engine for joyriding. Please find a collector for it. You should have one of the stock gas-and-oil Yamato twins, or a Mk30H.
                    What do you want for the Konig? I'll ask around and see if I can arrange a trade or something. Or, put it on ebay.

Comment

Instead of straight castor, consider Maxima 927 which has been degummed. I have been using this for 2 years with great success. But I agree that your Konig 250 is not suited for joy riding. Besides being loud, it will probably be rather tempramental about running for long. If you are not a collector then I recommend selling it to one.
                      David Weaver

Comment

FA Konig

Paul ... I've been searching for an FA for years ... would pay you
                        more than a fair price if you decide to sell it. If this one is not for sale do any of you faithful readers know where I can find one?

Also, still in search for a nice Swift "Atomic A" or " Big Bee". Any leads would be appreciated.
                        Untethered from reality!

Comment

That would be a period-perfect engine for a Swift Big Bee!!

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty
                            Castor oil is not a good choice for you; racers put up with its drawbacks because they have to. Find out which of the Red Line synthetics is alcohol-compatible. Alcohol-burning 2-strokes need extra maintenance. Alcohol absorbs moisture out of the air and rusts and corrodes metal parts in a hurry. Castor oil, even Blendzall, leaves a layer of sticky goo in the engine which is very, very difficult to remove once it has set up. If you must run this engine, use the synthetic oil; drain the carbs and line afterwards, and douse the engine with WD-40 very liberally thru the carbs and spark plug holes while pulling the engine thru several times. This is a really neat old FA Konig from the late '50s, and should be kept in good shape. It is a lousy engine for joyriding. Please find a collector for it. You should have one of the stock gas-and-oil Yamato twins, or a Mk30H.
                            What do you want for the Konig? I'll ask around and see if I can arrange a trade or something. Or, put it on ebay.
                            Bad advise! degumed castor is ok and the user friendly König carbs do not gum up after use like makuni or types like this. Wd-40 is also not good. When running any Methonal and castor motor regardless of oil type it is best to start motor on beach after play and then release fuel presure and squirt gas and oil mix thru carbs and let engine run a short time. as motor uses methanol it brings in moisture, by running on gas and oil the gas heats up the motor and evaporates the water leaving the 2 stroke oil behind. this protects the crank and other parts with a film of oil. If the motor is going to sit for a long time, you can clean out the carbs with Isopropel or rubbing alcohol. WD-40 will rust this up. I have rebuilt 1 or 2 of these over the years and on my own engines I do the gas and oil ting and I have to change very few crank parts except for normal use.
                            Steve

Comment

WD-40 stands for "Water-Displacing Formula #40." It is a light oil. It does not cause rust. Yes, running the engine on gas-and-oil is even better, but I was trying to keep the directives simple for Paul, who admits to being new to all this.

Comment

Working...
                              X