USA OSY 400 to UIM OSY 400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So ya want to have boat racers spend some money on new equiptment,
    what you think =will many do it....And what is wrong with the way it is done now?? Many race it the way its run now> If ya want to run in europe go ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by raceright View Post
      So ya want to have boat racers spend some money on new equiptment,
      what you think =will many do it....And what is wrong with the way it is done now?? Many race it the way its run now> If ya want to run in europe go ahead.
      Interesting take. I would tend to not agree, but it could be a fun change up if OSY went to the UIM rules (weight, height, starting procedure, etc). Maybe not adding a mechanical requirement will still allow lots of people to participate, while not having to spend more money.

Whats wrong with it now? Nothing, it's stock cousin (CSH) is the biggest class in APBA....but i guarante this creates more excitement in the class and maybe more pro category participation. Which if you look at the participants in the last few years at nationals (i havn't seen an 18-20 boat feild in years, more like 10-12) for a class that should have tons of racers (see 114+participants in CSH in 2011), its bad.
      Kyle Bahl
      20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

Maybe not.....

It is NOT a good idea if it makes all of the CSH rigs illegal to race in OSY400! Many of those who race this class are racing it for a little more seat-time and for the fun of it. If you require expensive changes for the average CSH driver to enter the class, you will loose them and the basic strength of the class. It isn't a good idea to eliminate your foundation. In a "perfect world", I would agree with you!

Comment

56 boats in OSY 2011--about half of stock, not all wish to go to Depue (for what ever reason)
          Ya think 56 of them will pay for the changes or even want to--maybe a vote from the OSY drivers is in order???

Comment

John,
            I think it's a great idea and talked with Bob W. about it quite a bit when he came over to Pleasant Prairie last year. If the Pro's don't want to make the changes I would think about taking it to the Stock Commission and seeing if a new probationary class would be possible seeing as though it would be more stock than any stock class we have right now.

I might be unaware of some rule that prevents it, but I don't see why it couldn't just be UIM OSY 400 in the stock category and US OSY 400 in the PRO category. If they are in different categories it would be pretty stupid, but at least the class might pick up some momentum and get people prepared for any international competition without dropping thousands of dollars each time you want to go race against them. I have no idea what sort of resistance you will face from either category commission but it's worth a shot in both. I know stocks are trying to eliminate classes so adding another works against the thinking, but this has a slightly different flare to it so it may interest them.

Let me know what you need help with because I too am very interested in getting it up and running in the U.S.

Comment

Originally posted by D_Allen_III View Post
              John,
              I think it's a great idea and talked with Bob W. about it quite a bit when he came over to Pleasant Prairie last year. If the Pro's don't want to make the changes I would think about taking it to the Stock Commission and seeing if a new probationary class would be possible seeing as though it would be more stock than any stock class we have right now.

I might be unaware of some rule that prevents it, but I don't see why it couldn't just be UIM OSY 400 in the stock category and US OSY 400 in the PRO category. If they are in different categories it would be pretty stupid, but at least the class might pick up some momentum and get people prepared for any international competition without dropping thousands of dollars each time you want to go race against them. I have no idea what sort of resistance you will face from either category commission but it's worth a shot in both. I know stocks are trying to eliminate classes so adding another works against the thinking, but this has a slightly different flare to it so it may interest them.

Let me know what you need help with because I too am very interested in getting it up and running in the U.S.
              At the present time Stock Mod Pro and even J can be run under any APBA Banner.
              There is a common rule that you don't **** with sucess--if your idea of boatracing sucess is large numbers(by the way not mine) then why mess with this seemingly sucessfull class??? I just do not get it with all the other areas needing repair in boatracing why this.

Comment

You know D Allen if you want to start a new class and you like the way it is done in Europa then check out 2-ternopil Euro Championships on this page watch the video and then go down to the local outboard shop and get an engine-- just saying.

Comment

If this class was to be changed to be UIM compliant I would start running it and i'm sure it would appeal to many other people who like that style of racing but do not want to go over to europe to race
                  Dylan Runne

Comment

Change it to be UIM compliant as it should be or eliminate it from the PRO category and just run CSH.......
                    444-B now 4-F
                    Avatar photo credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

Originally posted by Howie Nichols View Post
                      Change it to be UIM compliant as it should be or eliminate it from the PRO category and just run CSH.......
                      I agree 100%
                      Nic Thompson

www.tbrboats.com

Comment

Short Term Compromise

You guys do know that under APBA guidelines, you can create any "class" you want with rules everyone can agree upon and race as a "Local class". While you would not get HOC or national points, it can be run at any local race and start the process.

Think of this as a "If you build it and they will come" challenge. If the class UIM OSY400 generated a huge following, the commission will surely want to take it National.

Just a thought.
                        Brian 10s

Comment

Is not OSY400 just CSH unrestricted as it is run right now in the US.. And as stated UIM OSY 400 is actually the only real stock class..No mods to the engines or grearfoot..

This could be an amazing class then and once forlks get into it, it might actually be a cheaper class when you eliminate them mods that are now allowed in Stock racing..

You also might even be able to understand the rules since they would be very basic
                          Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Course Setup Suggestion: run on the provided course, but only utilize turn one, go to the middle of the back stretch buoy (single pin) start/finish buoy (single pin), go for five - seven laps. Run three or four heats, start/finish of each flight.

Motor Updates Cost: attached is a estimate from Ric at RPM Marine. These are the known costs, but possibly more depending on what I find on the spec-sheet comparison.

Major Cost will be a new UIM compliant boat. Keep in mind, current rigs can be retrofitted.

UIM OSY would be a great feeder to the 0-125/250/350 classes.

Food for thought: UIM OSY is a true stock class. Many of the classes in the stock category are stock+small modifications. Possibly, adhering to a rule book that is not managed by us, not directly anyways, will help with our self-managing nature.
                            Attached Files
                            http://vitalire.com/

Comment

Good stuff

This looks like it could be awesome and I would have my full support behind it. Easily marketable and exactly what you could sell somebody without having to tell them to send this head here and the gearfoot there, etc.
                              Shawn Breisacher

Comment

I have not had time to read the UIM or APBA rules on this matter but what is stopping an APBA club from running the UIM OSY-400? We have had O-250 and O-350 races (World Championships) put on by APBA Clubs. Theoretically you should be able to run US OSY, CSH and UIM OSY. But like I said, I have not looked at the rules.

This will not allow for a lead in faze-in faze-out period but it might be an option.

I like the idea of having a UIM class run regularly in the US. After doing a bit of the limonze start, I still love clock starts. I really think a good driver can make up for any lack of speed with a clock start. But it would be great to race at the world stage and we (the US) can only be competitive if we race it every weekend.

Zach R-13

Comment

Working...
                                X