USA OSY 400 to UIM OSY 400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA OSY 400 to UIM OSY 400

Our team has worked hard and we have been blessed with four USA OSY Championships in a row; time to make a change for the better of racing.

An argument can be made that OSY is a C-lite class. For most it is, just take out the lead and jack up the motor. For the more serious, it is not – different boat, motor and propellers, as in my case.

My intent is to transform our current OSY format to directly coincide with UIM’s OSY 400.

Reasoning:
    • Make a true international class that is raced consistently throughout the year, throughout the world, not just on special occasions
    • UIM OSY courses are typically lemans start, on a shorter course, more boats, more laps and more heats

I would suggest a three-year transformation plan, 2012 being the first year with minor, inexpensive changes moving to 2015 being 100% UIM rules compliant.

• Lemans starts, shorter courses recommended
    • Raise the weight limit to 360lbs

• Lemans starts, shorter courses highly recommended
    • Raise the weight to 380lbs
    • Correct lower unit

• Raise the weight to 400lbs approximately
    • Correct CC’s

• UIM compliant boat

I would suggest records cannot be set during the 2013 and 2014 season, but can be set during the 2012 season as only major change is weight. Competition records in 2015 would still be set on a current, styled record course.

I’m looking for input and feedback as I plan to submit this to the Pro commission at the winter meetings. Would you change how many years to transform? Change the order?

Thanks, John Peeters
    jp@johnpeeters.com

http://www.uimpowerboating.com/vsite...-0-file,00.pdf
    http://vitalire.com/

In above attached rule book, sections 522, 527 & 528 cover the OSY rules. I will need to go through the motor spec sheet and submit a comparison, but at quick glance, major changes are the CC's allowed and stock lower unit.
    http://vitalire.com/

Comment

Originally posted by guedo499 View Post
      In above attached rule book, sections 522, 527 & 528 cover the OSY rules. I will need to go through the motor spec sheet and submit a comparison, but at quick glance, major changes are the CC's allowed and stock lower unit.
      I think that is a great plan - I like it. The current rules for weight are 180 kg = 396 lbs. Also, I wonder how that is going to going to affect our current boat designs to accomodate the Lemans starts. Could be fun....
      Sean Byrne

Comment

Maybe I am mistaken but are not most of the European OSY boats laydown? Is that to help with there Lemans starts? More weight forward for sure. Seems in the few videos that I have seen there has been a few kneelers but they are usually in the back..

This sounds like it would be a fun project..
        Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

First Off - This is not a class i run, or will run in the near future.

Why wait three years - do the easy stuff now...2012 - Motor to be UIM, weight to be UIM, height (if any) to be UIM - 2013, boat to be UIM.

As for course length, laps, starting. This is the hardest part. Run them where you can (each race will be specific to time and space), To the lemans start where ever possible/able.
          Length, i don't see making this an easy one without running all class on Sanction to the smaller course. Does the mileage work out that you could run 4 or 5 laps of the regular course to accommodate the same approx distance of a UIM Course. Start there and for the Nationals, Worlds see if you can get the sanctioning club to have a regulation course setup.

SLT - ThunderCat in the rest of the world should be looking at the same thing, who cares if it is slower, look at it globally...get on par numbers and have the chance at racing on a world level if the time ever comes.
          ----
          Graham18ce
          Team Canada ThunderCat
          Facebook - www.facebook.com\fralickracing
          Twitter @FralickRacing
          Instagram @FralickRacing

Comment

Uim osy 400

Why change anything? Just run it as UIM class at your races. Would it have to be special event?
            David Weaver

Comment

I am sure that if we ran like they do in Europe than if you got a chance to go over and compete with them in the future you would be better prepared and have a chance.

Plus if it was developed into something big here than maybe they would also come here to compete..
              Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Excellent deductive reasoning Dylan. Gold star!
                28-R

Comment

I think that would be a very good idea. Plus the boats in OSY in Europe are able to run in much rougher water so there are less windy blow outs of races or too rough to race.

I races OSY in Germany back in 1988-1989 and liked the jetty starts and one pin turns. Top end is not as fast, but acceleration was a bit better and boat was more controllable.

This would be a class I would strongly consider IF I have the time and money to race again in two years.

Comment

Well, Billy Allen has been competing for a few years now, trying to get 'our' #### together to give our europian friends a run for thier euros. I have been building boats for him, using ideas based on what was learned during competition.
                    They get on plane like crazy over there, but I am not so sure they are a lot faster. Billy says that they seem to 'die' in the corners, he thinks because they are running 'laydowns' with an only stock yamato engine. He starts poorly, but with an american kneeler, is able to catch up, somewhat, during the heat.
                    I am strictly a devoted supporter, I've never driven a hydro, but thanks to being lucky enough to be involved with the US A team, I have learned a little bit about the differences between 'our' boats and 'theirs'...not enough, yet, apparently.
                    We (US A team) are hoping to find the balance between 'starting' and 'racing' in hopes of bringing gold to the USA in UIM OSY. If anyone has input that could prove helpful, please share with Billy, so he can share with me, as Gold is the goal. KampKurz

Comment

Thumbs up!

I like it!

Lets try and make it global and encourage the Worlds more.

12M

Comment

<iframe width="640" height="380" src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/JWAzP1I4QfM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="380" src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/P6ksUH7xb00?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                        Last edited by HRTV; 10-24-2011, 07:20 PM.
                        HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Originally posted by David Weaver View Post
                          Why change anything? Just run it as UIM class at your races. Would it have to be special event?
                          It does not have to be a special event. ANY apba class can choose to run lamans starts instead of clock. Billy Allen and Region 1 already run lamans starts for OSY....Apparently its a fan favorite.

I guarantee the Depue folks would love this!
                          Last edited by Racerkyle20; 10-25-2011, 12:17 AM.
                          Kyle Bahl
                          20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

I meant....

Originally posted by Racerkyle20 View Post
                            It does not have to be a special event. ANY apba class can choose to run lamans starts instead of clock. Billy Allen and Region 1 already run lamans starts for OSY....Apparently its a fan favorite.

I guarantee the Depue folks would love this!
                            .....run under full UIM OSY400 rules including boat and engine requirements. This would not require a vote or proposal to modify existing APBA rules.
                            David Weaver

Comment

Originally posted by David Weaver View Post
                              .....run under full UIM OSY400 rules including boat and engine requirements. This would not require a vote or proposal to modify existing APBA rules.
                              Gotcha, but I think John wants to make the proposal go through so he can win a 5th championship with different rules! Makes it seem like he's playing fair hahaha
                              Kyle Bahl
                              20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

Working...
                              X