No announcement yet.

Montana RaceCraft latest project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I left the steering cables long so you have plenty to work with.. Maybe you two can get us another national championship.
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

MRC C MOD Delivered

Hi Mike,
      Outstanding build quality. Everyone that has been following the build of the boat on HR at the race had to come over and see the new boat. Much thanks to Roy for delivering it. Might have to make this a yearly event! The most comments I received on it for your workmanship was your not going to make this one white! Guess it will have to get its last coats of varnish and it will stay a gem.
      We will have to continue the Testing in the next couple weeks where we will work on props and the lift of the boat to get the balance set where my son likes it. The boat turns likes its on rails. The tiller bar tank will have to be replaced with a tank at the transom to get the CG a bit better.
      What a great weekend, ever though my son jumped the gun the first heat because of the vastly improved acceleration. We were the only Merc in the field so we will have to work a bit harder with the props and setup.

Alan
      Attached Files
      Last edited by OldRacerBU; 09-12-2011, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Alan

did you take any pictures? Would like to see the new boat in action
        Sean Byrne

Comment

Photos

Having problem up loading the rest of the photos. Will try again in a bit.
          Alan
          Attached Files
          Last edited by OldRacerBU; 09-12-2011, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Tank moved to front

As we work to get the C MOD more competive we have decided to remove the tiller bar tank and put a tank forward of the wheel. I had an old Merc oil tank that looked like it would be ideal. It holds about 1 1/4 gallons of fuel and is two pounds lighter then the tiller bar tank. To help with the CG movement forward we also will use an Alum tiller bar saving 1 1/2 lbs. When we looked at all the weight elements the forward fuel tank, when the tank is full, will develope about 145 lb-ft of nose down moment while reducing the overall weight. Total cost for the front installatinon was less than $15.00 already having the tank.
            While I was at it I also installed a tiller bar tank inside our Roskopwski D/E MOD boat. This should help a bit with the CG issue we were having with the tiller bar tank.

Alan
            Attached Files
            Last edited by OldRacerBU; 10-02-2011, 03:25 PM.

Comment

hey allen,
              your stuff looks great!! but then you guys always do great work however i'm still waiting to see one of those 13' marathons. heck, i could have not built them. hahaha
              dave h

Comment

So Alan when are you going to be able to test again??

Comment

Testing of MRC C MOD

Hi Mike,
                  We plan on going to the AOF race in Pineville LA on the 15 and 16th of October. Should be about a 2 hour drive from home and hopefully we will be testing all day Friday before the race. I think the tank location will be a big help and we will save a few pounds. Will post photos from the race.
                  Alan

Comment

C MOD testing

This weekend we went to Pineville LA for an AOF race. The weather and lake conditions were outstanding. Our prime goal was to get our new MRC C MOD boat sorted out. The tank forward really helped and then we tried adding weight to the bow in 3 lbs increments. 9 lbs worked well and we went one more step to 12 lbs. No change noted. We also started adding tuck to the engine and that made the boat run well. We seeing slightly above 70 MPH with our two blade wheel and the prop shaft below the bottom. Next time out we will go up 1/4 inch and try some additional props. The boat is now comming alive. We ran 6 full laps of a 1 mile course and never had to lift the throttle. Hope you enjoy the photos that I will add from my laptop.
                    Alan
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by OldRacerBU; 10-16-2011, 02:42 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by OldRacerBU View Post
                      This weekend we went to Pineville LA for an AOF race. The weather and lake conditions were outstanding. Our prime goal was to get our new MRC C MOD boat sorted out. The tank forward really helped and then we tried adding weight to the bow in 3 lbs increments. 9 lbs worked well and we went one more step to 12 lbs. No change noted. We also started adding tuck to the engine and that made the boat run well. We seeing slightly above 70 MPH with our two blade wheel and the ptop shaft below the bottom. Next time out we will go up 1/4 inch and try some additional props. The boat is now comming alive. We ran 6 full laps of a 1 mile course and never had to lift the throttle. Hope you enjoy the photos that I will add from my laptop.
                      Alan
                      Have you not got the laptop warmed up yet Alan!!!

Comment

• Laptop is working

Hi Mike,
                        Again everyone at the AOF race enjoyed your workmanship. What was more fun was seeing the folks shake there heads when Alan Jr was running the boat with more than a foot of air under the sponsons. A couple folks even thought it was a D MOD. We will post one of the photos a friend took when we first started testing.. All in all the boat is really getting understood. We have a bit of engine work to do with carb adjustent and moving the timing up a bit. I think were going to move the tank another 12 inches forward so some lead can come out. We might want to add a little to the air traps in the back to force more air under it which should also bring the nose down a bit more.

Alan

Comment

• There must be a large weight difference between a Merc and a Yamato.. Have you tried a 3 or 4 blade prop for more rear lift also?? The deeper air traps will help in the straits to lower the nose but will hurt cornering and over all speed..I think Sean Byrne can elaborate on this when they had the 2010 National Champ CSH.

You have to admit LOOSE is fast!! But wind is not your friend..

Comment

• CMH prop

Hi Mike,
                            We have a large selection of 3 and 4 blade props for the 16:21 lower unit but we are trying 1:1's with this engine. We have a couple 3's and a four to try next. I will get an actual dry engine weight this week. This engine like to run about 8,800 RPM and when we tried the four we were set way to low for it and we were down a ton of RPM. We will also try the 16:21 gear set next year.

Alan

Comment

• Alan;

Kind of looks like a Butts Aerowing hydro going down the straight !

Comment

• Driver makeover

Originally posted by OldRacerBU View Post
                                HI Mike,
                                Boat looks great! Should be a fun ride. The boat from where your at now looks like we will meet the weight target. Now I have to work on my son to loose about 20 lbs. Well thats the hard job.

Alan
                                Alan Jr has lost 24 pounds and we will remove the 16 pounds of lead from the nose. Made a couple other changes also. Now have the fuel tank about as far forward as we can get it. We also modified the air traps to bleed off the air to help get the boat in trim. Today we did the first coat of varnish after the wood work. Tomorrow a second coat and we will be ready for the first NBRA race at Rockway Beach. The boat was moving quite well at Lucas until we holed a piston. Engine is all back together and is .030 over so we will see how it runs with a fresh set of pistons.
                                Alan
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by OldRacerBU; 05-21-2012, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X