No announcement yet.

Step by Step Building a hydroplane / MRC is up and running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yipee just been over and see Dales post , it's going to be a whole lot of fun and a Amazing ride ......drowling as I type

CMH. 61R
    Short Fuze Racing
    Team Darneille
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR GOOD CMH PROPS FOR SALE
    IF YOU HAVE ONE LET ME KNOW

Comment

• Step-by-step Cat 2006 F-500

http://www.veemoto.ee/veemotost/paat...imine_2006.htm

Comment

• Vahur- Thank you for posting. Great workmanship and very nice styling! I don't have any idea what the work mean..... but wonderful photos!
        Peter Crowley

Comment

• Wet sanded and first coat of varnish
          Attached Files
          Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

• looks really cool there bsr
            sigpic

Comment

• Well the bottom is all done. Now I just need to find some help to flip it over so I can start the fun stuff. Anyone want to swing buy today and help me with that??

Doing the boat this way I never have to turn it upside down again unless I wanted to make a change. It is done..
              Attached Files

Comment

• I would like to add that I think some color on the bottom of the boats should be a safety requirement. When light and water conditions are just right and you are going 60-90 MPH trying to see a natural color boat that has gone over is really hard when you are only two feet off the water. Of coarse nobody plans to go over but it does happen.

Comment

• Question:

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
                  Wet sanded and first coat of varnish
                  Why varnish? Why not another coat or two of West and leave it at that? Have you found varnish to be lighter (weight-wise) than West? Is varnish more durable/easier to maintain than a West finish? I'm interested to learn the different techniques and preferences people have.

The boat looks great, by the way, and I really appreciate seeing your progress through the various construction stages.

Cheers!
                  Michael J. Mackey
                  Lola Boatwerks Factory Foreman
                  Pavlick Race Boats Factory Driver
                  Yamato Aficionado
                  21-V

Comment

• With WEST SYSTEM and other epoxy they will degrade due to UV. West had an epoxy that has UV Inhibiters (207 I think), but I also coat with UV Inhibiters varnish... it leaves it shiny and can be easily redone.

Comment

• Originally posted by B1PRORACER View Post
                      With WEST SYSTEM and other epoxy they will degrade due to UV. West had an epoxy that has UV Inhibiters (207 I think), but I also coat with UV Inhibiters varnish... it leaves it shiny and can be easily redone.
                      Thats just what I was going to say. Varnish slows down UV damage and Epoxy will not. So unless you race in the clouds and rain I would add some varnish Not a problem in SEATTLE !!! LOL

Comment

• Bottom

I try not to let the sun shine on the bottom. I've only blown over once in testing but the boat landed right side up.

kk

Comment

• You are correct to use captains spar varnish. J.R. at Gougeons tested all of the clear polyurethanes and varnishes over epoxy and ran weatherability tests. Captains prevailed two to one over the next best. If you want to use the nasty synthetic finishes, Ciba-Geigey makes the additive for do it yourself UV resistance.

I need to root around in my library to find a picture of a roll over rig that works with any boat from 8 to 180 feet. All you need is two sailboat blocks attached to your rafters and two pieces of rope to do it by yourself. Otherwise a case of beer works as well.
                          Last edited by Mini Max; 02-17-2011, 01:14 PM.
                          sigpic
                          WWW.COMPMILLENNIA.COM
                          Composite fabricator
                          ISO 9001-2008 Quality Certified
                          Washington, North Carolina

Comment

• Actually..... the above comment about the boat bottom and UV damage made me realize that the bottom of racing boats are usually in MUCH BETTER condition than the top! The difference between the top and bottom is the result of the UV problem....

Comment

• The boat is turned over now and have been making blocks to attach the deck stringers to. One side is glued and clamped and now I am on to the other side. I have lost time on this project since I have been mailing T Shirts, decals and working on motors.

No this boat will not be ready for Eatonville!
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Martins latest progress on his C Mod in Sweden
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X