aluminum rub rails illegal...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aluminum rub rails illegal...........

not that I am overly concerned about the safety rule implemented about making aluminum rub rails illegal now in stock (but still legal in mod and pro), but what brought it about?
    Last edited by mercguy; 04-12-2010, 07:27 PM.
    Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

What are aluminum rub rails?
    Silas Jordan
    Windham, Maine
    CSR 53A (2B till the boat gets redone)
    Sigma Nu, IN-549

Comment

Rub rails

Darren: Not a clue on this. If it was discussed at a stock meeting I must have been in the bathroom or something. Makes no sense to me at all. Also...I think the intent is ti not allow them on the end of the pickle...not the rest of the sponson. Also.....there are stainless steel rub rails available. The rule does not say you can't use those. BTW...you looked very fast in DSH last weekend. Congrads on whatever you have done over the off season. Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Silas_53A View Post
        What are aluminum rub rails?
        Rub rails have no performance advantage. I can only guess the ruling has something to do with safety.

Lift rails however, clearly give a runabout a performance advantage. Yet was made legal in DSR. I can only guess the ruling had little to do with common sense.

ADD: Hey Daren, if you're worried about banging up your boat on the dock, you could use those boat bumper thingys.
        Last edited by jeff55v; 04-12-2010, 07:50 PM. Reason: Add

Comment

Rule rub?

APBA Mod, Stock and Pro rule book 21. B 2) states for stock -

"half oval aluminum rub moulding is not allowed on Stock Outboard picklefork or cockpit noses".

See page 4 here:

http://www.apba-racing.com/Forms/2010/010SOMOPRO.pdf

Seems to me other metal is allowed (go figure?) and definition omitted as to the dimensional extent of rub moulding that is not permitted ( x 2).
          "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
          No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Classic example of mis-interpretation of "spirit and intent" of the rules...

The point of the rule is to reduce the damage done to people and equipment by metal hardened pickles and cockpit leading edges.

In the past people have used half round aluminum because it is cheap, easy to work with and comes in stock pre-drilled and countersunk lengths.

It does not mean you can harden leading edges with another metal.

Expect more rules like this as APBA moves in the general direction of the UIM standard for impact resistance.

Incrementally of course.

Brad Walker
            302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

rub rails

Originally posted by B Walker View Post

The point of the rule is to reduce the damage done to people and equipment by metal hardened pickles and cockpit leading edges.
              I'm glad they have outlawed them. All this talk about making the tips of pickles safer and yet still allowing them to be reinforced by metal is kinda silly. Also, over the years I have seen many cases, including on my dad's boat (sorry dad), where the screw heads were not properly countersunk thus creating a nice sharp protrusion(s) on the side of the boat. Plus, why would you want them anyways? They serve no function except to add weight and cost to the boat.

Bill
              Support your local club and local races.

Bill Pavlick

I'm just glad I'm not Michael Mackey - BPIII

Comment

rule

Originally posted by B Walker View Post

In the past people have used half round aluminum because it is cheap, easy to work with and comes in stock pre-drilled and countersunk lengths.

It does not mean you can harden leading edges with another metal.

Expect more rules like this as APBA moves in the general direction of the UIM standard for impact resistance.

Incrementally of course.

Brad Walker
                No misinterpertation, I understand the intent, just reporting the rule as written with my .
                Rule still needs clarity to prevent misinterpertation.
                "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
                No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Originally posted by daveracerdsh View Post
                  Darren: Not a clue on this. If it was discussed at a stock meeting I must have been in the bathroom or something. Makes no sense to me at all. Also...I think the intent is ti not allow them on the end of the pickle...not the rest of the sponson. Also.....there are stainless steel rub rails available. The rule does not say you can't use those. BTW...you looked very fast in DSH last weekend. Congrads on whatever you have done over the off season. Dave
                  Love it yea use stainles,or just steel maybe titanium. lololololo
                  Great example of bending rules.. Why I dislike rules there is always a way to cheat. Ask any lawyer.. Ok I'll shut up now.

Pat Wright

Comment

What about runabouts?
                    no sponsons there. Pretty sure there's some aluminum trim near the back of my B runabout..
                    Mark Krzyzanowski
                    32-CE

Comment

What about OAK. I used to use OAK as rub rails on my runabouts.
                      bill b

Comment

oak, stainless, BARBED WIRE....
                        Mark Krzyzanowski
                        32-CE

Comment

Metal Trim?

I have owned stock, mod, and pro hydros since 1993 (actually since 1958, if I count my first hydro.) None of the hydros had metal trim of any type on the pickle forks or the aft hull edges. I have a Glaspar Avalon with aluminum trim for dock ding protection (makes sense on a ski boat used for pleasure boating.) I agree with the comment that it just adds weight and cost to the boat hull, so why bother adding trim for the few times that you are operating close to a dock. We certainly don't need frontal edge metal trim to cause more injury in an accident. Update the rule in the Propeller to exclude all types of metal edge trim applications on stock hydro hull sponson and nose leading edges. This should be a "common sense" safety item on any hydro hull. Then again (considering the current trends in bad governing systems), common sense seems to be lacking...

Al

Comment

I do not have a problem with the new rule. I have a problem with the wording of the rule.
                            bill b

Comment

instead of raising the level of confusion on this site.....

Please read your minutes guys:

http://www.apba-racing.com/Forms/201...0SOminutes.pdf

I proposed to toss out this rule in Seattle and our SORC voted unanimously to do so.

This included the slick attempt to create a thickness on runabout noses.
                              http://www.stockoutboard.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X