No announcement yet.

aluminum rub rails illegal...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So in the meantime Cut the sponson tips off.
    bill b

Comment

Originally posted by bill boyes View Post
      Also looks better and it is easy to do
      Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Originally posted by bill boyes View Post
        ...or, like we'll do this year (if the rule will be reversed for 2011) not run our A that doesn't have legal sponson tips for the 2010 rule...

Comment

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
          Also looks better and it is easy to do
          I sense some sarcasm from Bill.

Some say it could comprimise the integrity of the sposon if you end up with a hole after cutting the tip off.

Comment

Originally posted by ricochet112 View Post
            ...or, like we'll do this year (if the rule will be reversed for 2011) not run our A that doesn't have legal sponson tips for the 2010 rule...
            Save that boat for AXH! No pickle tip rule there!

R-19
            www.gleasonracing.com

"No, THAT is why people hate him."

Comment

Originally posted by ricochet112 View Post
              I sense some sarcasm from Bill.

Some say it could comprimise the integrity of the sposon if you end up with a hole after cutting the tip off.
              I not not have a problem the the Pickle Radius. I just think that the radius should be built into the boat not just hacked off with a saw or belt sander. There are some good running 20 year old Furnels and other boats out there and some with nice paint jobs. It is just plain wrong!!!
              bill b

Comment

lol yah we hacked the sponson tips off our A boat and pretty much have no sponson left.....

Comment

radius

Originally posted by Susan Rautenberg View Post
                  lol yah we hacked the sponson tips off our A boat and pretty much have no sponson left.....
                  Susan,

No pickles left. Was that the result of trying to meet the 1/2" radius per the SO rules or the UIM radius?

thanks,
                  Bill
                  Support your local club and local races.

Bill Pavlick

I'm just glad I'm not Michael Mackey - BPIII

Comment

Its an easy fix. Cut the tip off and then get some 1x4 pine and wittle it to fit the hole. Coat with a lot of epoxy to fill the gaps and insert. Belt sand to the right shape after it has set up and coat with varnish or paint. Folks are making to much out of this, really.

But from what I gather the rule was thrown out so no harm no foul.
                    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
                      But from what I gather the rule was thrown out so no harm no foul.
                      Rule was sort of thrown out in a meeting, but it's still in the rule book. So the rulebook rules i guess...

It should be the same as the mod/pro rule, but what do I know
                      Sattler Racing R-15
                      350cc Pro Alcohol Hydro
                      TEAM VRP
                      The Original "Lunatic Fringe"

Spokane Appraiser

Comment

At this point its a moot point. If you want to race a stock hydro this year met the 1\2 inch requirement. If you want to save your boat HOPING the SORC will reverse the rule your probably going to be dissappointed when its not reversed. The rule is a safety rule and most likely not going away.
                        So do what everyone at the winternationals did and saw off the tips. 1\2 inch is not that wide.
                        Kyle Bahl
                        20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

As I have stated. I do not have a problem with a radius. In fact I agree with it. However, The older boats should be grandfathered as the Pro/Mods are.
                          I also think the Pro/Mod rule needs to take into account boat size. The 1 inch radius is OK for the larger boat not the smaller A/B boat. might as well go back to the shovel nose.
                          Blueskyracer. It is not a big deal to you and me and some others. but many others it is. It is just a feel good rule that someone had on their agenda and got it passed without any real thought by the Commission.
                          To have different rules for the same boat within the different Category's is just plain stupid and has been going on for too long.
                          I.E my 5 year old Bezots can not now compete in CSH. But can compete in OSY and C-Mod. Or Janet Racer can compete with her 10 year old Sorensen/Boyes in K pro, FAH(250?) AX and her younger bother In J. But not ASH.
                          Does that make sense to you? That is a BIG DEAL to me.
                          bill b

Comment

rules..........

so, what was rescinded? The rounded pickle requirement or the aluminum rub rail being made illegal? Both?

as to the alum rubrail being illegal, has there been proof that it is dangerous or just a "feeling"?

I would think the rigidity of an all carbon or composite boat would create more injury or damage to another competitor than a silly aluminum rubrail, which (in my case) is there to protect the edge of the boat from "banging each other" on the race course or more so to prevent undue damage to the boat loading it in the trailer or in the pit areas, especially when you have 4-5 boats to deal with........
                            Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Nothing has been rescinded. Daren, You raised a good point that has troubled me for a long time. That is Composite Boats. Is there any data on the safety aspect of these boats on the race course running with a common known wood boat. Say a so called Carbon Fiber or better yet Z glass? Our SORC makes rules about rub rails and pickle tips and ignores SAFETY aspects of Carbon Fiber/E glass boats.
                              bill b

Comment

The UIM is way ahead of us on this topic.

They have done scientific laboratory testing of direct and indirect impact of wood only, wood reinforced with epoxy, and multiple different composite layups.

The UIM has a much higher standard for impact resistance than any US based sanctioning organization.

Bob Wartinger is on a UIM board that is tasked with standardizing impact resistance across all categories and organizations.

You will see each division move toward these standards at their own pace. I am sure the boat builders are very aware of this and will be building both with an eye to the future and to meet current specifications.

If your building a boat and want to be 100% sure it will meet both current specs and future changes go to the UIM website and look at the layup schedules and design/style guides.

Yes. It will be more expensive to build boats to the UIM spec.

discuss.....

BW

P.S. Many congrats go to MJR for meeting the UIM spec before it is even mandated.
                                302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

Working...
                                X