Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mod Proposals for National Meeting...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clarification Of My Post

Seems I ruffled a few feathers on the Primary category being Mod to be a Mod Commisioner. It is nothing personsal, just my opinion. To truly have the categories best interests at heart, it needs to be your primary concern. To be a senator of California you need to be a California resident, not a New York resident.

Gearboxes - Tell me where I can buy a new 45ss gearcase for a reasonable amount ? Yamato and Konny are still the cheapest priced out there, and the gears are inexpensive as well. Much less than a Mercury I know. Now then, tell me where I can buy a new Yamato right now, or a new Konny right now. Or a new Merc right now. Or a new Bass right now. If we open up the gearcase rules some, and allow any gearcase we might be able to buy some gearcases and have them at the end of the week instead of this ridiculas year long process crap.

I would never support power trim on a Hydro. It would be nice to have, yes. It would change the way a typical hydro is built today. If you allow something that can slam the front down when you want to turn, we will essentially have a hydro that turns on a dime. All we would need to do is change a couple things. Then the overlap rule needs addressed. Then you have a whole new breed of hydros that everyone needs to go out and purchase to be competitive. Lets face it, FEH (850CCH) is one of the most inexpensive classes to race if you are a Mod guy. You can build one yourself for well under a grand. If you want to purchase one already built you have to spend the bucks.

Ron, you want a FEH ready to go ? All you have to do is ask. I have a boat ready to sell you. Provide the engine from one of the engine builders, and there you go. Easy as pie. Call Benson in your area, he builds some fast stuff. Call Ed Runne, he sells turn key engines as well. Tim Kurzc in MI also can build you a engine. You have options. Have Dawe build you a laydown boat, or JDS in your region..... or Sorenson, all you have to do is do it. Two of the three boat builders have proven FEH's allready out there that i know of. Lopez ran the Sorenson and Akers runs a JDS. Both are super fast from what I hear.

If you want to combine the 45 tunnels with FEH in your area go for it. You can run a special event I would imagine. If you can get the FEH's to agree on it you don't need a special class to do it currently. As you already stated it would be for fun no points and give both a chance to test. Take videos of them racing together and post it for evidence that it works or does not. Then you might convince some it is a good idea. Personally I think the 45 tunnels already have enough classes to race. SST45 and 45SS. Does any one boat and engine need more than two classes to race in ? in stock they can already use almost every engine is almost every class. OSY vs CSH and then restrict it down to race 25SS I think. The A class has an infinate number of classes it can race in.

Danny, FEH was created in Pro ? I was not aware of this. I always thought Dad and Harry brinkman created it in Mod in APBA and AOF adopted it as well. I know we had a blast coming out to the AOF races back then. A lot of our closest friends were met in the AOF days. Tell Dale hey, and hope you guys are killing the ducks. I have had a decent season so far, ends this weekend.
    Dave Mason
    Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Feh

Dave That Is The Way I Think It was. It Started As a Pro Class An Then They Killed It, And It Went To MOD. Some One In PRO At That Time May Know More. We Did Ok With The Ducks This Part Of The Season It Opens Dec, 12 Next. We Are Going To ARK. Or Kanas Soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Pigott View Post
        Dave That Is The Way I Think It was. It Started As a Pro Class An Then They Killed It, And It Went To MOD. Some One In PRO At That Time May Know More. We Did Ok With The Ducks This Part Of The Season It Opens Dec, 12 Next. We Are Going To ARK. Or Kanas Soon.
        Except for Novice and K-Pro I don't know of any gas-and-oil classes that have ever been in the Pro Division. OMC and Mercury didn't want alcohol burning Konigs running against their Mod-50 Tunnel boats (aka UIM OE) and got OE changed into a gas burning class but that was an OPC deal. I thought that when the 3-cylinder OMC was accepted into the Modified Division E Class and then proved to be far superior to the Merc 44's that it was bumped into a class of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M View Post
          Pipes... if you don't like it, don't schedule it. There are a TON of places that absolutley love the noise. If there were less Mod races in places that get a lot of complaints on noise and they restrict us, it would leave schedules more open for us to attend the race sites that truly love the noise. It is all in the promotion. I can see why FL does not like it in a lot of places. Bunch of retired folks trying to enjoy retirement near the major areas of APBA race sites.
          Dave you're right. In the southeast we just won't schedule the open pipes, sorry for trying to help promote growth in a Region that was once flourishing in MOD races. Guess those that have MOD equipment in Florida will just have to load up get away from all us "retirees" and travel to those places that have a "TON" of places to race, because according to the points there were lots of people who ran 20+ races last year and in the years past.
          444-B now 4-F
          Avatar photo credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

Feh

The 3 Hole OMC Was Never In EMH In APBA, Only The 44 Merc. FEH Was Created For The OMC The 44 Merc Was Legal But Had Tighter Rules Than It Did In EMH At That Time.

Comment

Originally posted by T Chance View Post
              Except for Novice and K-Pro I don't know of any gas-and-oil classes that have ever been in the Pro Division. OMC and Mercury didn't want alcohol burning Konigs running against their Mod-50 Tunnel boats (aka UIM OE) and got OE changed into a gas burning class but that was an OPC deal. I thought that when the 3-cylinder OMC was accepted into the Modified Division E Class and then proved to be far superior to the Merc 44's that it was bumped into a class of its own.

Tim,
              They ran the Formula E class at Depue as part of the Pro Nationals back in the late 60's and early 70's.

Ray

Comment

Howie

Originally posted by Howie Nichols View Post
                Dave you're right. In the southeast we just won't schedule the open pipes, sorry for trying to help promote growth in a Region that was once flourishing in MOD races. Guess those that have MOD equipment in Florida will just have to load up get away from all us "retirees" and travel to those places that have a "TON" of places to race, because according to the points there were lots of people who ran 20+ races last year and in the years past.
                Not trying to stir anything up. It is sad that the region is not able to secure sites that is not opposed to some noise for two days out of the year. All that water down there and only a small handfull allow pipes I guess. Staron Lake does not seem to mind, as long as you stay out of the orange groves I guess. Just me thinking here, if you wanted to grow the Mod division in FL, I would look at places that would allow the noise and move away from the ones that don't. I totally understand it is much easier said than done, we all have real jobs to attend to as well.

If I lived in FL I would probably race stock and keep the Mod stuff for the occasional times it can be used. I just can't see why the majority of regions should adapt to no pipes or mufflers on a deflector engine when we don't have the same issue. Easy answer is to not schedule championship races in the restricted noise areas for Mods. Another step might be to eliminate the engines we currently use and bring in some new ones that adapt to chambers a little better and let us have at it. Loopers are half the work to get a set of chambers to work on. If we eliminate pipes the spirit of Mod is gone forever.

Remember, I am not trying to change the world, just state some facts and opinions that are mine. Not trying to offend you, so don't take it so personal.
                Dave Mason
                Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Ron Hill check your PM.

Kevin
                  "I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RLR View Post
                    Tim,
                    They ran the Formula E class at Depue as part of the Pro Nationals back in the late 60's and early 70's.

Ray
                    I stand corrected. I just don't recall any of it. I do remember where briefly there was an E class where the overbored Konig D was legal.

Comment

I don't know the history of the OMC in APBA E / Formula E. Here's how I remember it happening in AOF.

When I first started racing there was only an E class. Both the 44 Mercs and the OMCs were legal. After a few years a new class was started for the OMC - Super E - and the 44 Mercs ran (and still do run) in the E class. When both the OMC and the Mercury were in the E class the OMC had to run pretty much a stock powerhead. The Merc was allowed a lot of mods (similar to current rules).

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

David that is how i remember it both omc an mercs together in AOF EH. Larry Conner brought a new 44 merc to Kingston Tn in 79 to run EMH he wanted to sell it to me after the race. He said he did not need it in AOF as he ran his OMC there. I still have a 3 port 44 merc SEH AOF motor that i was told once belong to the late Kid Smith.

Comment

ruffled my feathers???

Originally posted by Dave M View Post
                          Seems I ruffled a few feathers on the Primary category being Mod to be a Mod Commisioner. It is nothing personsal, just my opinion. To truly have the categories best interests at heart, it needs to be your primary concern. To be a senator of California you need to be a California resident, not a New York resident.

Gearboxes - Tell me where I can buy a new 45ss gearcase for a reasonable amount ? Yamato and Konny are still the cheapest priced out there, and the gears are inexpensive as well. Much less than a Mercury I know. Now then, tell me where I can buy a new Yamato right now, or a new Konny right now. Or a new Merc right now. Or a new Bass right now. If we open up the gearcase rules some, and allow any gearcase we might be able to buy some gearcases and have them at the end of the week instead of this ridiculas year long process crap.

I would never support power trim on a Hydro. It would be nice to have, yes. It would change the way a typical hydro is built today. If you allow something that can slam the front down when you want to turn, we will essentially have a hydro that turns on a dime. All we would need to do is change a couple things. Then the overlap rule needs addressed. Then you have a whole new breed of hydros that everyone needs to go out and purchase to be competitive. Lets face it, FEH (850CCH) is one of the most inexpensive classes to race if you are a Mod guy. You can build one yourself for well under a grand. If you want to purchase one already built you have to spend the bucks.

Ron, you want a FEH ready to go ? All you have to do is ask. I have a boat ready to sell you. Provide the engine from one of the engine builders, and there you go. Easy as pie. Call Benson in your area, he builds some fast stuff. Call Ed Runne, he sells turn key engines as well. Tim Kurzc in MI also can build you a engine. You have options. Have Dawe build you a laydown boat, or JDS in your region..... or Sorenson, all you have to do is do it. Two of the three boat builders have proven FEH's allready out there that i know of. Lopez ran the Sorenson and Akers runs a JDS. Both are super fast from what I hear.

If you want to combine the 45 tunnels with FEH in your area go for it. You can run a special event I would imagine. If you can get the FEH's to agree on it you don't need a special class to do it currently. As you already stated it would be for fun no points and give both a chance to test. Take videos of them racing together and post it for evidence that it works or does not. Then you might convince some it is a good idea. Personally I think the 45 tunnels already have enough classes to race. SST45 and 45SS. Does any one boat and engine need more than two classes to race in ? in stock they can already use almost every engine is almost every class. OSY vs CSH and then restrict it down to race 25SS I think. The A class has an infinate number of classes it can race in.

Danny, FEH was created in Pro ? I was not aware of this. I always thought Dad and Harry brinkman created it in Mod in APBA and AOF adopted it as well. I know we had a blast coming out to the AOF races back then. A lot of our closest friends were met in the AOF days. Tell Dale hey, and hope you guys are killing the ducks. I have had a decent season so far, ends this weekend.

OK Dave, since you (and a couple others) have targeted ME with your first statement, let me clarify it for you!!!!! First off, I race in 4 APBA categories (stock, mod, pro and OPC), should I quit the ones I am not a commissioner in? I am also an AOF director. Should I quite AOF or APBA? There is no category in APBA (or AOF or even NBRA) that is better than another...........they are all equally as good! Remember...........APBA, AOF and NBRA are organizations as a whole, not individualized! You feel that since I run my majority of racing in STOCK that I would have less of a passion or feeeling for mod??? Give me a break! The majority of the classes I race are STOCK, BECAUSE that is what is raced the majority in the region I race in (Reg10), which is one of the biggest outboard racing regions in APBA. You race the classes that your region is able to put on, be it logistics or whatever else. If you feel I should not be in the position I am in, feel free to assume my duties............

PS: you based your "assumption" that stock is my main category by my avitar................hmmm...........you might want to look a little closer or get your eyes checked................as that is a Cmod Merc on the back of my boat..........
                          Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Backwards

should I quit the ones I am not a commissioner in?
                            If you are running in all 4 outboard categories, Dave is saying you ARE qualified to represent other racers in all 4. Many areas are represented by racers that rarely if ever race in all the categories they serve.

Comment

Dave is right about the 44 Mercs running with the OMC in AOF. The Merc couldn't run with the OMC 3 cyl so they had to do something. They came out that it was a safety matter the big OMC was digging to big hole in the water etc. The real reason was they just wasn't a good match. I was running a Merc at the time and I didn't have a chance, Ken Bayer couldn't even run with the OMC and he was as fast as anybody in AOF at that time. I don't remember how long they ran together but not to long before the change.
                              Larry Mac

Comment

FEH / E Hydro

I think AOF was the first to allow the OMC motor into the E mod class. With the help of Harry & Mike Obrien, we put together a new rig (Butts Aerowing/Johnruid) for the 75 season. At that time, I could only run in AOF. In APBA could have run Pro, but sure wasn't going to run with Quincys, or Konigs. Bill

Comment

Working...
                                X