No announcement yet.

Boat Racers in need of jobs..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are still under water in the Nations Capitol with no signs of the water receding any time soon. Tons of empty strip malls that were thriving places of commerce just six months ago now sit empty like ghost towns.

We lost several major department store chains here in the city and jobs are still pretty much on lock down.

Homicide, rape and murder rates are holding steady.

City Life
    HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

If you saw the news a couple nights ago, Cattle rustling has become a huge problem in Oklahoma and Texas again, the assumption is people stealing cattle and taking them to auction for some money. However it seems that things are picking up a little around our small town. Unemployment is down some, it was 17.9%. Here at the mill we have recalled the majority of our laid off workers.

Welcome to hydroracer, we hope you enjoy your visit.

Comment

Originally posted by HRTV View Post
        We are still under water in the Nations Capitol with no signs of the water receding any time soon. Tons of empty strip malls that were thriving places of commerce just six months ago now sit empty like ghost towns.

We lost several major department store chains here in the city and jobs are still pretty much on lock down.

Homicide, rape and murder rates are holding steady.

City Life
        you can keep your city life. I tried it twice. Phz. Az and chicago il.
        I am happy to continue living in my lil small town in boo-foo il. A term a good friend from the chicago area coined. pretty much exactly like Bug splat NC.
        I hope things get better for you people there

"The Coffee Guy"
        TEAM CAFFEINE
        Cranked up and ready to Roll

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strengths (Corrie ten Boom)

"Cup of Joe? Not no mo! Kevs Coffee is the only way to go!" (John Runne 09)
        " IF you can find a better cup of coffee... Kev will drink it!" (Michael Mackey 08)

Comment

The recessionis over; however, employment is a lagging indicator. That means you will still see some job loss, just not at the rate you have seen over the past months.

What may be helping is that the federal government has pumped money into the economic system like mad, kind of like spraying starting fluid into a grumpy motor. The draw back of this action is that you will see a significant spike in inflation in the next few years.

The positive of this recession, if there is one, has been deflation in housing, cars and other products. This deflation is just about over now as the surplus of goods in stock such as cars or clothes is just about gone. This means products are becoming scarce so up go prices. Add that to the federal government's actions making the dollar worth less, because there are now much more of them in the system in addition to the radically boombing debt and deficit, and you get your inflation.

Workers in all industries will slowly begin to be called back and it will take some time. Our pay checks will be smaller for sure and we will have to pay more for everything. Life as we knew it in the 1990's and 2000's are gone and America as we know it has changed for ever. We will work longer and pay more for less at higher prices.

Here is an article of interest from CNN.

http://cnnmoney.mobi/money/business/...164380/full#p1

Comment

So, we will all be poorer from now on

Comment

I'm not worried!!!

I'm going to have gov. run health care........

Comment

Originally posted by bandit64061 View Post
                I'm going to have gov. run health care........
                isnt that like paying Peter to pay Paul to pay your doctor? or am i confused
                I think i would rather borrow from the Doctor to pay Pete and Paul.
                Last edited by Kev43V; 08-12-2009, 08:48 PM.

"The Coffee Guy"
                TEAM CAFFEINE

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strengths (Corrie ten Boom)

" IF you can find a better cup of coffee... Kev will drink it!" (Michael Mackey 08)

Comment

Ive heard it said "Its a recession when your neighbor's out of work, a depression when you are" That could explain how Im feelin lately The Co. I work for was hangin tuff till 2 weeks ago when I was being rushed thru a poorly planned small project. Got it done, was told to go to Un-Emp. & was also told Id be called back B4 the 1st check arrived. So far its been 2 weeks & neithers happened. Its a small Co. building exlusive homes, its owned by a very wealthy man [as well as at least several other Co's]. Its almost funny to hear em gripin about the economy [like Trump when Ivana dumped him] cause the story is hes sinkin $$$ into suddenly available real estate.
                  No surprise to me tho, 11 years of employment doin dirty, difficult & dangerous work doesnt mean much anymore. Im a finish carpenter capable of top notch quality with varied experience [30+years] in all phases of construction.

no trim detail overlooked

finally.. a desk w/a veiw

Interior/Exterior & even know a little about wood boats. If I had my way thats the direction Id go but the reality is Ill have to go back to where I was or find another job. Ive gone the self employ route.. couldnt stand it. ["If ya do this cheep, Ill keep ya bizzy"] Estimates, shopping, paperwork.. not for me. I just wanna work.
                  Team Tower

Comment

Good points in that article Doug. I am not as optomistic as Chris Isidore, CNNMoney.com senior writer however. Especially as it relates to FL real estate.

Here is some raw housing statistics for nationwide values and excess inventory. This info is pulled directly from the MLS book so its un-biased raw numbers. You can draw your own conclusions.

http://www.housingtracker.net/

One of the key statistics is excess housing inventory. Until the excess inventory goes down, there will be no pressure to raise prices. Here in FL, and in a lot of other areas of the country the excess inventory has been fairly steady. In other words, the foreclosure rate has been about the same as the purchase of excess inventory rate.

Foreclosures are still rising, and there is not much new construction, therefore, the excess inventory rate should remain steady.

When the foreclosure rate starts to ease up a bit, I will start to become more optomistic.

BW
                    former Property Appraiser, Mortgage Broker and underwriter of FL real estate
                    302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

[QUOTE=johnsonm50;137469]Ive heard it said "Its a recession when your neighbor's out of work, a depression when you are" That could explain how Im feelin lately The Co. I work for was hangin tuff till 2 weeks ago when I was being rushed thru a poorly planned small project. Got it done, was told to go to Un-Emp. & was also told Id be called back B4 the 1st check arrived. So far its been 2 weeks & neithers happened. Its a small Co. building exlusive homes, its owned by a very wealthy man [as well as at least several other Co's]. Its almost funny to hear em gripin about the economy [like Trump when Ivana dumped him] cause the story is hes sinkin $$$ into suddenly available real estate.
                      No surprise to me tho, 11 years of employment doin dirty, difficult & dangerous work doesnt mean much anymore. Im a finish carpenter capable of top notch quality with varied experience [30+years] in all phases of construction.

I see the plumber did not get to get in there before you LOL
                      don't you just hate it when one trade gets to get in before they should?

"The Coffee Guy"
                      TEAM CAFFEINE

Comment

2 new foreclosures on my street in the past month. 3 houses next to me are vacant

Its weird having them empty and dark. The cheap ax banks don't have any security lights on and haven't mowed the grass yet.

The job I'm working on today is an eviction ...

It hasn't turned the bend here yet and we are supposed to be better off because so many people have govt jobs around here
                        Last edited by sam; 08-13-2009, 07:23 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Kev43V;137476]
                          Originally posted by johnsonm50 View Post
                          Ive heard it said "Its a recession when your neighbor's out of work, a depression when you are" That could explain how Im feelin lately The Co. I work for was hangin tuff till 2 weeks ago when I was being rushed thru a poorly planned small project. Got it done, was told to go to Un-Emp. & was also told Id be called back B4 the 1st check arrived. So far its been 2 weeks & neithers happened. Its a small Co. building exlusive homes, its owned by a very wealthy man [as well as at least several other Co's]. Its almost funny to hear em gripin about the economy [like Trump when Ivana dumped him] cause the story is hes sinkin $$$ into suddenly available real estate.

I see the plumber did not get to get in there before you LOL
                          don't you just hate it when one trade gets to get in before they should?
                          Yeah, they love to pile the trades on top-o one another telling them the deadlines are 3 days sooner than they really are as a means to buy time. Planning as ya go- going as ya plan
                          Team Tower

Comment

I to was laid off from my job after 12 years in October, I worked for a Title Insurance Company and it was just me and my boss and she could no longer pay me or the bills so she laid me off. (Never in a million years did I think I would ever get laid off from this Company) She closed the office and moved it to her basement. I have been in the Title Ins. industry for over 25 years. When I was laid off I sat home and applied for alot of jobs either no one called me back or they paid minimum wage. I am a Notary Public in NY and I decided that I was going to pursue what I liked to do and that is Witness Only Closings, so I printed out the list of Signing Companies all over the US and put my information in each Company's data base (mind you there were over 200+) I was determined to get back to work. Well it worked, I now own my own Closing business and I am doing very well. I also have a snow plowing company I own a Dump truck with a sander and plow and I have a contract with one of the municipalities here on Long Island. I also work for the Hospital per diem (cause I don't think I could ever work full-time again). I like what I do and I can work if I want - I look at being laid-off as a blessing in disguise. I try to encourage people to get their Notary License and apply to Signing Companies -and they just "yes" me to death. You can't sit home and feel sorry for yourself there are jobs out there - you just have to have the motivation to "go for it". Yes it's scary and I never in a million years thought I could do it on my own - but I have to say I'm glad I pursued my passion.

Cynthia Hooghkirk

Comment

bumping up so this post can be found

Welcome to hydroracer, we hope you enjoy your visit.

Comment

If the credit crisis is genuinely over and the economy is genuinely on the mend, someone forgot to notify Capital One Financial, one of America's largest issuers of consumer credit.

Yesterday afternoon, at the Goldman Sachs US Financial Services Conference in New York City, Capital One's Chairman and CEO, Richard D. Fairbank, wowed the crowd with a dizzying collection of grim assessments and forecasts. In no particular order, Fairbank observed:

1) "The storm is not over and we continue to face several significant risks."

2) "With respect to commercial real estate, I believe we cannot see line of sight to the peak yet... I kind of feel it's going to get worse before it's better."

3) "The housing market remains severely dislocated."

Fairbank placed this last observation in the context of an economy that is still wobbling on its feet and unable to generate employment growth...

"Despite last week's modest improvement [in the jobs report]," he observed, "the average time to find a new job remains very high, a sign that the job market is more frozen than in past recessions. Similar to labor markets, the housing sector remains severely dislocated, despite some signs of stabilizing home prices. There is a growing backlog of foreclosures. Inventories of homes in foreclosure or with severely delinquent mortgages are increasing. This is likely to put downward pressure on home prices as the foreclosure inventory hits the market.

Continued weakness in housing puts pressure on the broader economy and makes any emerging recovery fragile. And some of the apparent improvements in the economy may not be sustainable. As government stimulus programs like Cash for Clunkers, first-time home buyer tax credits and other direct cash payments to consumers may have only fleeting effects."

During his presentation, Fairbank also sprinkled in a few dashes of optimism about the economy's prospects...and several dollops of confidence about Capital One's ability to "weather the storm."

Investors seemed to like what they heard, as Capital One's stock jumped more than 2% yesterday afternoon. Curiously, however, the insiders at Capital One cannot seem to find any reason whatsoever to buy the stock.

In fact, they have been unloading it at a very rapid clip during the last few months.

Fairbank, for his part, has not made a single open market sale since May of 2008. But most of the other company insiders have shown no such restraint. Ryan Schneider, for example, President of the Card division, sold 31,848 shares of COF (worth $1.18) during the last four months, and just announced his intention to sell another 84,518 shares. All totaled, these sales would represent more than half his holdings. Over in the accounting department, CFO Gary Perlin, just sold $2.3 million worth of COF stock, or about one quarter of his holdings. (For perspective, the last time Perlin sold stock was in May of 2007 - less than one month before COF began its swoon from $81 to $8.)

The recent flood of insider selling at Capital One is no guarantee that conditions will soon worsen at the large consumer lender. But as a rule of thumb, insiders do not sell when they believe their stock will be going UP.

Dr. Richard Bacon, Pastor
                                Faith Presbyterian Church Reformed
                                Mesquite, TX
                                http://fpcr.org/FaithPressBlog
                                Ne vivu kiel vi volas, sed kiel vi devas.
                                "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
                                the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Comment

Working...
                                X