Clear All

Painting an HJC Poly Carbonate

This is an email I sent directly to HJC and their reply on painting;

----- Original Message -----
    To: info@hjchelmets.com
    Sent: Monday, February 13, 2012 1:11 PM
    Subject: CL-16 painting

Hello,
    I just purchased the cl 16 helmet but need to paint it so that it conforms to my racing organizations rules. I bought the solid white but need to paint it a solid orange.
    What are your recommendations or suggestions for doing this? Or would I be better off using a vinyl wrap?

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you quickly.

Howie Nichols

Reply:

Dear Howie:

In response to your inquiry, the correct and safest way to paint our helmets is by using a two stage urethane automotive paint (base coat/clear coat combination). Automotive type paint is what we use at our factory in Korea. In preparing your helmets, do not remove any of the rubber trim or vents, rather, mask them with a high grade 3M painters masking tape. Scuff all the shiny surface with a high grade wet/dry 3M automotive sanding paper (320 grit - 400 grit). Wipe your helmet down with some wax/grease remover to clean off all the excess sanding powder. Then spray your base coat - let dry - spray your clear coat.

Please make note that any modifications made to your helmet are subject to possibly having the warranty void at our determination.

If you have any other question feel free to email us back. Hope this helps!

We appreciate your business and contributions in making HJC Helmet North
    America's number one helmet selling company for the past decade.

Please visit www.hjchelmets.com for our new and exciting product line
    (FS-15, IS-16, SY-MAX II, IS-MAX, FS-3, FS-2, IS-33, CS-5N, CS-2N) alongside recent past models.
    There are still more new models to come very soon in the future!

Thank You.

Fritzie Cota
    Customer Service
    HJC America, Inc.
    16918 Edwards Rd
    Cerritos, CA 90703
    T: (562) 407-2186 Ext. 256
    F: (562) 802-7706
    E: fritzie@hjchelmets.com
    444-B now 4-F
    Avatar photo credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

Thanks Howie, Thats the helmet I have. Mines masked and at my buddies Paint shop
      sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

Originally posted by ram95 View Post
        Just looking at that paint job it would seem that by filling it in a little it would resemble a hand with the 'finger-of-fate' extended.
        Yeah, I saw the middle finger in that paint job too!

Comment

What about ece standards?
          Chris
          8M in BSR or 8 in 45
          "Here’s the thing that makes life so interesting the theory of evolution states that only the strong survives but the theory of competition says just because they are strong doesn’t mean they can’t get their asses kicked don’t surprised if somebody decides to flip the script and take a pass on yelling uncle and then suddenly the old saying goes we’ve got ourselves a game...."

Comment

Thanks Chris, finally someone else has the sense to ask this question...

However, I just read back a page, and Gleason states that "ECE=joke" which I'm guessing means that DOT=ECE=joke. Also: Bob Wartinger sent Adam Allen a letter on the APBA social site I will repost for carification:
            "Hi Adam,

Sorry that I didn't get the message about the board meeting, would have
            liked to listen in.... (I failed to notice the announcement of elections
            last summer in the Propeller, so didn't file for Council at Large, (along
            with Stan Fitts). Had I been continuing along on the Council, I would have
            gotten a meeting notice....Oh well, next time.

Simply put the SNELL M2010 standard imparts less energy to the head. As does
            the new FIA standard....but the expense is very high and most of the people
            involved say that the FIA standard is very close to the SNELL and don't
            recommend the FIA, unless you're driving an extreme vehicle....

I have included some other material, an article by Suomy regarding BSI
            standards, etc. Also an article in Web Bike World from Snell where the curve
            I have attached is also shown. I got the curve from another helmet supplier
            (STAND 21), so it is pretty commonly accepted.
            http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...0-standard.htm

My evaluation is based on two things, lower the shock to the head and the
            compliance procedure. All the helmets sold in this country have to meet a
            DOT standard, just as in Europe, they have to meet an ECE -2204,05 standard
            to be used on the street.
            Above that standard, the manufacturer voluntarily decides to build a
            "better" helmet. Here's a quote from a magazine article about the subject.

"There are major differences between M2010 and previous Snell Standards;
            mostly due to the emergence of ECE 22-05, the standard now in mandatory use
            throughout the UK and Europe. Snell motorcycle helmet standards are
            voluntary; manufacturers build to Snell standards because they want to and
            they build to DOT, ECE 22-05 or other standards because they have to. And
            if it comes to a choice between what a manufacturer wants to do and what it
            has to do, they will give up Snell for DOT or ECE 22-05 every time. As a
            result, Snell certified motorcycle helmets are currently allowed for
            European racing but not for European street riding. Thus, manufacturers who
            make Snell certified helmets cannot bring their Snell models into Europe.
            If they want to sell helmets in Europe, they have to build separate,
            non-Snell helmet versions

The new Snell M2010 standard resolves this problem. Once it takes effect
            (It is now in effect, BW), manufacturers will be able to build helmets which
            will satisfy DOT, ECE 22-05 and Snell simultaneously. (It is just that the
            DOT are minimum as shown in the graph, BW)"

I also added a slightly blurry copy of another chart that I use in
            presentations when we begin to discuss the relationship between size of the
            helmet and the response upon impact. The DOT standard has to lower the
            impulse to the head to 400g, where the other standards require the helmet to
            lower the impulse g value quite a bit more.

I hope that I haven't done too much of a data dump, but here's a little
            back up...if more clarification is needed, be glad to help.

Bob"
            Last edited by HydroKyle93R; 03-08-2012, 05:59 PM. Reason: Information
            28-R

Comment

I do have a question on this, I do know that APBA sancations almost every thing that floats . but most of us guys on this board are knee riders, and seriously how many head tramuas have all of these guys combined had in a DOT rated bucket in the last 10 or so years??? 1 maybe 2?? seriously??
              Jeff

Comment

Compliant

Originally posted by HydroKyle93R View Post
                Thanks Chris, finally someone else has the sense to ask this question...

However, I just read back a page, and Gleason states that "ECE=joke" which I'm guessing means that DOT=ECE=joke. Also: Bob Wartinger sent Adam Allen a letter on the APBA social site I will repost for carification:
                "Hi Adam,

Sorry that I didn't get the message about the board meeting, would have
                liked to listen in.... (I failed to notice the announcement of elections
                last summer in the Propeller, so didn't file for Council at Large, (along
                with Stan Fitts). Had I been continuing along on the Council, I would have
                gotten a meeting notice....Oh well, next time.

Simply put the SNELL M2010 standard imparts less energy to the head. As does
                the new FIA standard....but the expense is very high and most of the people
                involved say that the FIA standard is very close to the SNELL and don't
                recommend the FIA, unless you're driving an extreme vehicle....

I have included some other material, an article by Suomy regarding BSI
                standards, etc. Also an article in Web Bike World from Snell where the curve
                I have attached is also shown. I got the curve from another helmet supplier
                (STAND 21), so it is pretty commonly accepted.
                http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...0-standard.htm

My evaluation is based on two things, lower the shock to the head and the
                compliance procedure. All the helmets sold in this country have to meet a
                DOT standard, just as in Europe, they have to meet an ECE -2204,05 standard
                to be used on the street.
                Above that standard, the manufacturer voluntarily decides to build a
                "better" helmet. Here's a quote from a magazine article about the subject.

"There are major differences between M2010 and previous Snell Standards;
                mostly due to the emergence of ECE 22-05, the standard now in mandatory use
                throughout the UK and Europe. Snell motorcycle helmet standards are
                voluntary; manufacturers build to Snell standards because they want to and
                they build to DOT, ECE 22-05 or other standards because they have to. And
                if it comes to a choice between what a manufacturer wants to do and what it
                has to do, they will give up Snell for DOT or ECE 22-05 every time. As a
                result, Snell certified motorcycle helmets are currently allowed for
                European racing but not for European street riding. Thus, manufacturers who
                make Snell certified helmets cannot bring their Snell models into Europe.
                If they want to sell helmets in Europe, they have to build separate,
                non-Snell helmet versions

The new Snell M2010 standard resolves this problem. Once it takes effect
                (It is now in effect, BW), manufacturers will be able to build helmets which
                will satisfy DOT, ECE 22-05 and Snell simultaneously. (It is just that the
                DOT are minimum as shown in the graph, BW)"

I also added a slightly blurry copy of another chart that I use in
                presentations when we begin to discuss the relationship between size of the
                helmet and the response upon impact. The DOT standard has to lower the
                impulse to the head to 400g, where the other standards require the helmet to
                lower the impulse g value quite a bit more.

I hope that I haven't done too much of a data dump, but here's a little
                back up...if more clarification is needed, be glad to help.

Bob"
                This explains why my helmet is Snell compliant but has a disclaimer that says it cannot be used on the street with no DOT certification. I always wondered why as the Snell standards are so much stricter.
                kk

Comment

Well now. I certainly appreciate the information Bob gathers and the way he presents it. Bob's a thoughtful guy. Trouble is, there are some blowhards out there who think everyone ought to subscribe to the way they think, just because they think they've seen the light, or whatever. At the Nat'l mtg, some of those dickheads even voiced their opinion, to quote "some racers aren't smart enough to figure out what helmet is safe to wear" or something to that same effect. How do you like that folks? Racers are dumb!! Well.... not all racers.... just those who don't fork out $450 for a brain-bucket. What a bunch of crap. There are so many variations out there: Strap attachment; strap release; shield attachment; air vents; anti-fog; type of attaching hardware; type of padding; ability to remove and clean padding; shield materials and tints; peripheral vision allowance... can YOU think of any others? I probably can. For all you folks who would impose your great gift of intelligence upon me... howz about fit?? Fit is primary to ensure proper function. Here I got somethin for ya.... it's a fence post... bend over... see if it'll fit.

Alex
                  Mad Russian Racing, 12A DSH
                  Stock Commisioner, Region One
                  Last edited by ram95; 03-09-2012, 07:12 PM. Reason: fixed spelling and sin-tax, and provided necessary instructions for placement of fence post.

Comment

Originally posted by ram95 View Post
                    I like the NBRA wording. Seems adequate to me. I also like the fact that the NBRA rulebook came with my membership. It's not very thick. And, even tho it's not on-line... more importantly, it is ON MY BENCH.

alex
                    NBRA rule book IS online....

Comment

We wear flip helmets, because we race mainly in the south and the temp can be over a hundred degrees. Flip the helmet and you can breath and cool down sooner. It allows us to drink to replace fluids without takeing off the helmet. There is one shnell approved flip helmet, but it does not come in the required color, it would be a nightmare to paint...thus expensive. One problem with full face helmets is the mass it presents to the water when it hits. We always wear neck collars to counter act that force. Bell has a approved helmet, at a reasonable price, but it has a very large shape that could bucket. The other hjc helmet is 323. dollars that comes in the right color and shape. We have two drivers..these helmets are not what we want and a finanical burden. I just hope APBA was thinking when it put these new restraints on their membership.

Comment

Dont forget to tell the ... ...

I hope Crown Partners tells the new guy what type of helmet to get. He (new Guy ) wont have this rule in his book ..OOPS no rule book - Well -he can look in the new propeller .. OOPS -- thats gone .

Comment

RAM 95 I have know you to hold back why not take a step back and tell us what you really thing . Got to love it ALEX or we would being doing it talk to later this week Props will be sent out this week

Comment

Huh?? what props? You mean the new Hartzell for my Cessna 180 turbo? We're gonna have a different prop governor for that one!! With any luck we'll set a new time-to-climb record with it with the IO 540. That Tohatsu will never even see that kinda fuel flow.

Comment

Nbra

IS NBRA coming to the southeast, keep it up APBA

Comment

It's my fault. I told the BOD that I thought it was a good idea. Actually my correct response was, “ I like it because a lot of racers are dumb and don’t value their melon”.

ADD: Especially my friend Mike Pavlick who must not value his melon, have you seen that helmet? Or my own kid… nuff said…..Hate on
                                Last edited by Big Don; 03-14-2012, 01:10 PM.
                                "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

Working...
                                X