No announcement yet.

DOT out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I readdress my orginal question? What exactly is a 3/4 helmet. Looking at the rule book, my impression is an open face, but according to the debate here, open face are O'Tay if it's snell. And, there are snell 2010 open face at Summit. Helmets not ski mask.

Comment

Originally posted by thepiranhabros View Post
      Both my son and I wear carbon fiber/Kevlar composite full-face helmets (we wouldn't wear anything less) that came from the factory solid yellow in color. They are Snell M2000 certified, well-ventilated, cost less than 100-bucks apiece, and fit like a glove. There is a difference between "cheap" and "inexpensive." Just as with cheap plastic helmets, high quality, inexpensive helmets are out there. You just need to do your homework and a little digging on the Interwebs.
      What brand and model are these? A link to buy one would be nice too.

Comment

Originally posted by ricochet112 View Post
        What brand and model are these? A link to buy one would be nice too.
        Yes, It seems I must buy a new one this year also and being a racer without a whole lot of money to throw around I too would like to have some info on where to buy one of these.

Comment

Here are a couple the bell ones are limited in size

http://leatherup.com/p/Motorcycle-He...met/52587.html

http://leatherup.com/p/Motorcycle-He...met/45470.html

http://leatherup.com/p/Snell-Approve...met/52215.html
          Destiny is a matter of chance,it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

Thank you,

Comment

Hey Greg,

I don't think you have to recertify your life jackets the rule says it only has to have the label of Mfg date or recertify date.. This is the rule below from apba site.

B. Life jackets: All racing life jackets must be constructed in compliance with the “APBA Life Jacket
              Basic Manufacturing Specifications” dated April 8, 1991. Copies are available from APBA National
              Headquarters.
              1) All racing life jackets must have a permanent affixed (sewn in) manufacturer’s label indicating:
              a) The date of manufacture or the date of recertification.
              b) The manufacturer’s or recertifier’s company name.
              c) The type category (A, A-100, B or C)
              “A” For use in an open cockpit and by an unrestrained occupant. Maximum boat speed is less than 100 mph.
              “A-100” For use in an open cockpit and by an unrestrained occupant. Maximum boat speed is 100 mph or greater. A-100 may also be used
              where A is required.
              “B” For use by a restrained occupant of a cockpit, not necessarily employing supplemental life support equipment needing life jacket
              accommodations.
              “C” For use by a restrained occupant of a cockpit, that employs supplemental life support equipment.
              d) Color Requirements: All life jackets shall have at least 70% of the upper surfaces above the waist, both front and back, international orange
              or yellow in color.
              e) The Drag category is exempt from any color requirements.
              f) Every driver shall demonstrate that his life jacket will function properly when requested by the referee.

Comment

After doing a little research, I would rather have my head in a Snell approved helmet than just a DOT helmet.

http://smf.org/docs/articles/do
                Motorcycle Standards Comparison - Snell and DOT

http://silodrome.com/snell-vs-dot-vs...rds-throwdown/
                A quick over view of the 3 helmet certs.

http://smf.org/docs/articles/mcomp2
                Motorcycle Helmet Standard Comparisons
                Snell M2005, DOT, BSI 6658-85 Type A and EN 22/05

FYI on Snell 2005 vs 2010;
                The Snell M2005 standard is widely believed to be too “hard”, the newer M2010 is set to replace it completely in 2013, the M2010 standard favours more impact-absorbent helmets and a helmet that passes the M2010 test will probably also pass the DOT and ECE R22-05 tests (though this isn’t guaranteed). Snell certified helmets are allowed by the AMA for professional motorcycle racing however the M2005 standard will no longer be permitted after 2011

Comment

Ansi

I googled ANSI helmets and got this one.
                  http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Tools-Sa.../dp/B002GQ9MYG

Comment

Originally posted by john527 View Post
                    I loved the 70s and 80s when we raced like men...Bell helmets, short sleeve t-shirts and Gentex jackets, but then came all the rule changing and down went the membership!
                    Yes men. When boat racers got hurt a lot more. Just ask billy allen if he thinks the safety improvements over the last 20 years are worth it.
                    Kyle Bahl
                    20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

Originally posted by Racerkyle20 View Post
                      Yes men. When boat racers got hurt a lot more. Just ask billy allen if he thinks the safety improvements over the last 20 years are worth it.
                      Kyle- I don't think you need to use other racers as an example, especially when you obviously don't know much about the example that you used.
                      Some of the people who have commented here are have a lot of racing experience and have been very successful in their racing careers.

Comment

Originally posted by Racerkyle20 View Post
                        I raced before then (60's/70's) and did not see nearly as many injuries as I saw when I returned in the late 80's and later. Seems like the more safety equipment that is mandated, the less drivers use their brains to drive safely.

Bill Rosado
                        Last edited by modracer7b; 03-04-2012, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by modracer7b View Post
                          I raced before then (60's/70's) and did not see nearly as many injuries as I saw when I returned in the late 80's and later. Seems like the more safety equipment that is mandated, the less drivers use their brains to drive safely.

Bill Rosado
                          This

Comment

Interesting that the ECE R22-05 standard isn't permissible.
                            28-R

Comment

ECE=joke

Ask Wart next time you see him about the ECE spec.

R-19
                              www.gleasonracing.com

"No, THAT is why people hate him."

Comment

Originally posted by B1PRORACER View Post
                                Some of the people who have commented here are have a lot of racing experience and have been very successful in their racing careers.
                                And my 16 years (going into 17 with most of my seasons ending in the 20 race area) doesn't count? I've seen a lot of accidents (been in a lot of them too) that without any of the improvements that have happened in the last 20+ years would have ended a lot worse. EX: helmets, kevlar, kill switch, composite cockpits, etc. Let me know if you want specific examples of which improvements helped where....
                                Kyle Bahl
                                20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

Working...
                                X