DOT out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOT out?

Just got the news... DOT helmets not legal.

What precipitated this?

Its getting more and more expensive to stay into this sport!!

Comment

You Got It

John527,

You hit it on the head. In OPC there are many folks that have spent several hundred dollars on paint jobs that now have to be ruined to meet the rule. Remember too that we are strapped in - and the race is stopped as soon as a boat goes over.

But APBA has so many people standing in line to become racers that it can afford to make it more expensive and restrictive to those racers that are still left - and some barely hanging on.

Its just crazy when you think about it.

Also - I also love that they have excluded Offshore and H1 from these rules. Why?? Are those categories less dangerous?

Comment

????

If you could, please explain what is and is not legal. I am unaware of any rule change.
        Thanks

Comment

New Safety Rules

TO ALL APBA RACERS:

Please note the following changes to the APBA general safety rules. These rule were voted on and approved by the Board of Directors on February 27th, 2012. The rules are effective as of April 2nd 2012.

GSR 3.A

A. Helmets must meet the specifications set forth by any of the following: Department of Transportation, American National Standards Institute, Inc., Snell, or military specification helmet designed for military aircraft — Mil-Spec helmets (CGF LA100, LH050, LH150, LH250; Gentex HGU84P) and Peltor helmets (Rally Pro Helmet EN ECU 04 or 05) are acceptable.

------------------------------------

GSR 3.A.1

The upper fifty percent (50%) of the helmet must be a single color of the following: yellow or fluorescent (high visibility) yellow or lime green or orange or international orange or fluorescent red.

-----------------------------------

GSR 24. Rescue Boats:

C. The rescue boat staff shall consist of a minimum of two persons. All Personnel on the Rescue Boat must be a minimum of 18 years of age.

Comment

DotThis sounds to melike

This sounds to me like DOT is still good. did i miss something.

Comment

In the original message the department of transportation was in red with a line thru it so it is out.. No longer allowed
              Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Florida Alex...

Originally posted by ram95 View Post
                Just got the news... DOT helmets not legal.

What precipitated this?
                come down to winter nats with us dude... daren, guedo & i are willing to make the trip if we can get a few other D's to show. don't know about your weather but 80 and sunshine sounds pretty good to me.

i've come to the conclusion that we just need to get in the kool-aid line and enjoy the party while it lasts. don't get all twisted up over the helmet thing. in a couple years it's looking like all classes faster than C will be racing NBRA anyhow. a duct-tape visor to a metal flake stars and stripes captain america open face is okay with them. sure am glad i bought a good shoei a couple years ago. 400 bucks not expected would be a tough one this year.
                Bill Dingman "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Comment

well, looks like I'm screwed!! any body out there with a son named John who wants to buy a freshly gold leafed bell helmet that he can use in soap box derby!!
                  Attached Files

Comment

I think they can still be DOT approved but must have ANSI and Snell Rating, not just plain DOT. But then what do I know.

Welcome to hydroracer, we hope you enjoy your visit.

Comment

I thought this talk was for 2013 with a grace period or something? This wording says next month.
                      Fralick Racing
                      Like our Facebook Team page "Here"

Comment

They don't get it!!!

The fewer there are of us the more they try to Piss of even more!!!
                        RAISE THIS RAISE THAT--- DO THIS DO THAT --- OH! BUY THE WAY
                        YOUR HELMET'S NO GOOD NOW!!! Just love this last minute bull-s__t
                        by the BOD. What's there reason for this one??? I agree APBA is making
                        this sport not very appealing for new membership and even worse to stay in!!

Comment

Originally posted by DiGia54D
                          GSR 3.A

A. Helmets must meet the specifications set forth by any of the following: Department of Transportation, American National Standards Institute, Inc., Snell, or military specification helmet designed for military aircraft — Mil-Spec helmets (CGF LA100, LH050, LH150, LH250; Gentex HGU84P) and Peltor helmets (Rally Pro Helmet EN ECU 04 or 05) are acceptable.

Isnt the first legal helmuts on this list DOT?
                          Read Post 7 please!!!!!!

Comment

Oh I will delete my comment then
                            sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

I am not real good with a computer but does anyone know how to repost the original message from APBA as it was sent with the red highlights and all??? I think that would help..

I guess I wont be getting anymore of these messages since I did not renew my membership this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X