No announcement yet.

2010 SO Agenda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let me first say I think most racers are supportive of the Sidewinder project.
    We have several OMC A engines and I know that if we want to be/or stay at the top of the ”A” class in the near future we will have to purchase a Sidewinder.

Where I disagree with some is in the 20SSH class. There are already three engines in the class if you look at the 80, 102 and the 302. Why put the Sidewinder 20CI in that class? It’s not fair to people that bought the 302 expecting to be able to race competitively in that class and we don’t need another engine. The class is strong and engines are available.
    "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

Cooking motors

Originally posted by Matt Dagostino View Post
      The height reduction proposal is basically a follow up to the CSH height reduction done recently to prevent engines from winding up on TJ's and David's workbench with scortched pistons and blue rod's...........the 20ssh(or whatever it is now called) class will reep the same benefits the CSH drivers did. NO MORE BURNT UP MOTORS and drivers won't have to keep looking over their shoulders to see if their motor is still pumping water! Plus inspection will be easier since both classes will be at the same height!
      Matt,
      I owe you a phone call, but will share some thoughts now...

I have been racing 20ssH for 24 years with a Y80. There have only been a few times when I got the motor hot (before and with the current 1/2" height restriction). The times the motor got hot wasn't due to being too high, both were due to my poor maintenance and not making sure head bolts were tight. This allowed the exhaust gas to leak and push water out of the block.

I did cook the snot out of a Y102 at Yelm at 3/4"....once again it was my own fault!

I believe props and boat design have a much greater impact on cooling a motor than and additional 1/4".

As for inspection, CSH and 20ssH are different classes, so I don't think its a big deal to have different inspection tools...In fact, I usually mooch Olson's BTM height checker which can easily change between 1/2" and 3/4".

Have a great weekend! Talk to you Monday.

- Mike

Comment

I agree with Mike here.

I might add that part of the proposal is about parity and my data shows racing a restricted 302 @ 3/4" will somewhat kill us and our 20 props. Although I don't have data for the Y80, being unrestricted the Y80 will ( probably ) have a relative gain over the 302 ; ( possible ) inverse parity?

Dan
        Last edited by drbyrne55; 01-09-2010, 07:33 PM.
        BOPP

Comment

Dan
          I'll sell you one of your good 80 motors and you
          won't have to restrict your 302.
          Tom

Comment

Thanks tom,

if they legalize sw20, i think sean's buying a sw20.

Thanks,
            dan
            BOPP

Comment

Heres my .002

The POSITIVES....

I like the idea of having both BSH and CSH heights the same. This helps the guys and girls that run both classes with the same rig.

I am for the Sidewinder. I believe that it is a huge plus to have a Manufacture that produces racing motors at our doorsteps. I do think however, the sidewinder should be placed in its own this for a year till
              data and numbers come to light.

I would also like to see the 102 re-instated back into BSH

The NEGATIVES.....

Lowering the motors might have a effect on some guys with setups/props

Comment

Originally posted by Big Don View Post
                Let me first say I think most racers are supportive of the Sidewinder project.
                We have several OMC A engines and I know that if we want to be/or stay at the top of the ”A” class in the near future we will have to purchase a Sidewinder.

Where I disagree with some is in the 20SSH class. There are already three engines in the class if you look at the 80, 102 and the 302. Why put the Sidewinder 20CI in that class? It’s not fair to people that bought the 302 expecting to be able to race competitively in that class and we don’t need another engine. The class is strong and engines are available.
                Thank you Don

"The Coffee Guy"
                TEAM CAFFEINE
                Cranked up and ready to Roll

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strengths (Corrie ten Boom)

"Cup of Joe? Not no mo! Kevs Coffee is the only way to go!" (John Runne 09)
                " IF you can find a better cup of coffee... Kev will drink it!" (Michael Mackey 08)

Comment

Mikey!

Originally posted by pav225 View Post
                  Matt,
                  I owe you a phone call, but will share some thoughts now.

I believe props and boat design have a much greater impact on cooling a motor than and additional 1/4".
                  - Mike
                  Well then, guess all the guys and gals need to get on the stick and order Pavlick Hulls..............wonder if Big Don would put in a good word for me to move tword the front of the waiting list for a Pavlick boat and tee-shirt!!

This formula worked perfect in CSH (3/4") and if adopted should help the 20ssh/BSH class at several levels. We shall see how it all shakes out.

Hey, since the 302 is legal in the class and the 'new available motor', how bout raising the class weight to compensate for the motor weight difference!! Lol. That might get Big Don back on the race course with us!!

GO RAVENS!

Comment

Mike..........

Originally posted by Boatracer4fun View Post
                    Heres my .002

The POSITIVES....

I like the idea of having both BSH and CSH heights the same. This helps the guys and girls that run both classes with the same rig.

I am for the Sidewinder. I believe that it is a huge plus to have a Manufacture that produces racing motors at our doorsteps. I do think however, the sidewinder should be placed in its own this for a year till
                    data and numbers come to light.

I would also like to see the 102 re-instated back into BSH

The NEGATIVES.....

Lowering the motors might have a effect on some guys with setups/props

Mike
                    Add to the top of the positive list motors not burning up! That is the primary purpose.

And yes, some re-tooling of props may be in order as a negative. But guess we can't always have our cake and eat it toooo.

Re-instating the 102 back in the class is on the agenda!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Dagostino View Post
                      Lol. That might get Big Don back on the race course with us!!

GO RAVENS!
                      Rumor has it Don is on a diet, and Pav has ordered a LOT of carbon fiber.
                      Michael J. Mackey
                      Lola Boatwerks Factory Foreman
                      Pavlick Race Boats Factory Driver
                      Yamato Aficionado
                      21-V

Comment

You both have lost your minds. Diet? A diet to me is only half a large pizza.
                        "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

It usualy seems to me he is so busy in the pit. If he were to take time actually get in a boat, I think he would need a clone first

"The Coffee Guy"
                          TEAM CAFFEINE
                          Cranked up and ready to Roll

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strengths (Corrie ten Boom)

"Cup of Joe? Not no mo! Kevs Coffee is the only way to go!" (John Runne 09)
                          " IF you can find a better cup of coffee... Kev will drink it!" (Michael Mackey 08)

Comment

Originally posted by Big Don View Post
                            You both have lost your minds. Diet? A diet to me is only half a large pizza.
                            Sounds like my kind of diet...Don't forget the beer......

Comment

Agenda

I am adding things to the agenda (or, rather, Mikey is!!!).

Thanks for all of the comments. It is interesting to see who is interested in what.

14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Comment

I don't find my weight that interesting. Quit poking fun at me.

Don Allen

Comment

Working...
                                X