No announcement yet.

2010 SORC and Chairman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leave the AXS class alone. It is a stepping stone for many drivers. My daughter is doing well in the AXS class, she is not ready to go 100% into A this year or for the past 2 years that she has been running AXS. She is to big for J so that option is out. I do not support the theory of setting up lower and backing off of the throttle, that only gets you in trouble. You never know, she may get a start then have the faster more experienced boats come from behind which creates an issue if she with them when they got to the turn.

As for the older drivers racing in AXS, you all seem to be referring to George Stillwill without using his name. Time and time again he has raced with Becky ran side by side with her and came back to the pits letting me know what she did during the heat, both good and bad. He is a quality driver who actually pays attention to what he and the opther boats are doing.

Age isn't everything, if you place a limit on it then you are hurting the class. There may be future racers that dont want to race with the "veterans" and also don't want to be as fast so this class is perfect for them.

One more time and lastly AXS is one of the largest classes by number, leave it alone or risk losing members your choice...
    444-B now 4-F
    Avatar photo credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

The Stock Outboard Racing Committee (SORC) has no say in anything that happens with AXS.

AXS is under the J Comittee umbrella.

for 2010 the J Comittee is:

Buddy Tennell is the new chairman

Billy Allen,Sam Hemp, Jeff Bernard, Mark Miskerik,
      Bill Boyes, Scott Reed, Patrick Gleason and
      Robin Shane.
      302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

Shep

Originally posted by Shep View Post
        What's the problem with being able to run 3 to 6 classes with the same motor? When you only run three laps at a time, 6 total for the day, that is very disappointing to me. Drive 2 hours to ride in your boat for 20 minutes total for the weekend. That would drive me right out of the sport. Also we all know seat time is the key to success why would anyone want to limit a kids time on the water?

Shep
        Excellent points about water time. I have been trying to make this point consistently. I feel the biggest bang for your buck is not to run a single motor in more classes and switch set ups lead etc.

Why not have few classes, bigger fields of boats and run more heats or multiple races?

Fewer props, fewer changes during the day and more water time.

To Don's point. The local clubs can run a schedule that they like. I feel the National Sanctioning body should work out the format or template for success. Fewer classes, better motor selection.

That has been the formula for success in Region 6. Why? because they have not seen the decline that has occured in other Regions......They run a very simple class program and any new driver that happens by our event sees a limited number of classes to participate in. The when the buy in to the sport they land in a class they can race all year.

In our Division someone could buy a complete rig take BMH (input a weaker class in your area)for example. They had a good field at Lock Haven, then sparse number around our Division and didn't have enough boats to make the class in many venues.

Maybe that same driver shows up at a Region 6 race and buys a CSH instead he then races every weekend every where he goes.....after his two hour car ride.

Comment

Originally posted by B Walker View Post
          The Stock Outboard Racing Committee (SORC) has no say in anything that happens with AXS.

AXS is under the J Comittee umbrella.

for 2010 the J Comittee is:

Buddy Tennell is the new chairman

Billy Allen,Sam Hemp, Jeff Bernard, Mark Miskerik,
          Bill Boyes, Scott Reed, Patrick Gleason and
          Robin Shane.
          Add Ernie Dawe as Co -Chairman
          bill b

Comment

ASH Pic from Thanksgiving weekend

top photo by
            Mark Mclaughlin Photography
            (714) 895-6814

Bottom 2 photo's shows the 3 sidewinders that ran at Parker
            Attached Files
            Last edited by AZ Outlaw; 12-13-2009, 10:42 AM.
            sigpic

http://social.apba.org/

Comment

What Stock Outboard is NOT

Stock outboard racing, I started in the late 50's, has not been able to become the sponsored TV sport. Stock Outboard racing is for the racers. Very few race sites have spectators and are lucky if they can get a local sponsor to off set race expenses. We have very few manufactures of race boats, motors and parts. We better take good care of them and support those that have stepped forward and put their monies out for us.
              We have to realize and build a sport for the racer. At what races do we have the most fun at????? What race sites are successful??? What race sites have the best turn outs???? What races site and organizations run a successful program????? These are question that need to be answered. On the way home the family, racing and core, Always talks about the above topics. Are we going to make the drive next time.
              We should not lose site of this part of racing. Each region and Division should put these question out and create a race schedule so that after we spend the money for a new motor or boat, we have a place to race that most will return next time we put on a race and support these sites both region and division. The new racers will be impressed if 60% of the classes have boats to race and when they talk to the racing family, you say we will be here next year and by the way next week we are at________ (fill in the blank). Would you like to come and be in my pit crew to get see if you can have some fun. The Sat. night activities are also is important to the racing family.
              I KNOW THAT IF THE ABOVE IS POSITIVE. I MIGHT SPEND SOME MONEY TO HAVE SOME FUN RACING.

JUST A IDEA.
              Also I agree with Scott.: is fun.

Comment

Patrol Boat Drivers

Somone mentioned Patrol boat drivers and the J drivers and parents.

I firmly believe a J driver should NOT be allowed in a patrol boat to be used as a Turn Judge. Should they want to accompany a driver and room permits, then they can observe. We don't need 9 year olds making a turn judge call in any mod or stock race. I don't think we need 16 year olds doing it either.

Also, they should not be allowed in the rescue boat. Most kids are not strong enough to help a limp driver onto a backboard and into the rescue boat.

This is my opinion.
                Dave Mason
                Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M View Post
                  Somone mentioned Patrol boat drivers and the J drivers and parents.

I firmly believe a J driver should NOT be allowed in a patrol boat to be used as a Turn Judge. Should they want to accompany a driver and room permits, then they can observe. We don't need 9 year olds making a turn judge call in any mod or stock race. I don't think we need 16 year olds doing it either.

Also, they should not be allowed in the rescue boat. Most kids are not strong enough to help a limp driver onto a backboard and into the rescue boat.

This is my opinion.
                  Having J drivers in the turn judge boats allows them to see and learn from some of the veteran drivers on the race course. It helps them learn how to drive and also shows them what NOT to do on the race course. BTW, there are some very smart and intelligent J drivers out there...........doubt they are making any calls on their own......
                  Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Darren .... DUHHHHH

Read my post again. I said to observe not be a turn judge.........................................
                    Dave Mason
                    Just A Boat Racer

Comment

• I have just read all these posts and wonder how many remember when we had the KG4, 20H, Hot Rod B, 30H, 35SS and 55H. With the exception of the Hot Rod, where are they now? They have been replaced by new motors, or "hand me downs" from Japan. This is how we have evolved. Many of us had our motors become obsolete. But this did not make us stop racing. Each time new motors were introduced into the sport, those classes seemed to grow. Or how about when the 40H was replaced by the 55H after 1 or 2 years. New motors bring new racers.
                      Just my 2 cents worth.
                      NS

Comment

• "If we build it, they will come."

Well, they built it. The racers who will come will not be posting and arguing on here though. They will show up and race, in force.

Amen to what Norm said. People should think very carefully about his post and study the facts that history holds.

These same arguments always have always developed when new motors were being worked into the sport. The names might be different, but there has always been a group of people who either have not witnessed the "new motor growth" first hand, or who are very self serving, that gripes and gripes... For every racer that walks away in disgust, you will draw 2 new ones into the class in question. The key is keeping the new racers.

Comment

• Originally posted by 14-H View Post
                          Shortly, I will begin to put together an agenda of items for the annual meeting. I will also provide all of you with a short statement of what I believe the significant agenda items will be at this year's annual meeting and my position regarding them.

Edward W. Hearn,
                          SORC Chairman-elect.
                          Ed, have you put together your agenda of itmes for the annual meeting yet? I'd like to see what you have. thanks
                          Last edited by seanp3; 12-21-2009, 10:48 PM.
                          Sean Byrne

Comment

• Holy crap, Ed. I just read through all of these posts and I'm glad you're the Hearn that was elected and not me! Looks like you have your work cut out for you. Good thing the SO Chairman job pays well...! :-) Glad to be back racing. I think I'll just stick to getting Grant and Tori going fast in the J and AX classes... and leave this hard work for you!

Comment

• Rich: I'm a real popular guy on this message board! Ed.
                              14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanp3 View Post
                                Ed, have you put together your agenda of itmes for the annual meeting yet? I'd like to see what you have. thanks
                                Got it in draft thanks to Mikey. Should be up shortly. Hopefully between Christmas and New Years. Ed.
                                14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Comment

Working...
                                X