No announcement yet.

Hard starting Yamato 102

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill I think you should just drive it if it is running good. Freshening up may get you a couple of mph if the motor really needs it. It does not sound like you are at that point YET. Have fun, get seat time,then get more seat time,then more seat time. THEN GO RACING FOR A YEAR. Then freshen it up. Just my 2 cents. WILD BILL

Comment

• Bill, ...

That's the problem, ... I don't know if it's really running fine, I have nothing to compare it to. Unless I ran with another boat to compare it to, ... I may be NOT running fine and I would have no way in knowing it. For all I know, ... I would have thought I was the best running Yamato around.

Kinda reminds me of a friend of mine when we were kids in the 70's. He had a older Honda 750 four and he thought is was faster than greased lightning until I bought one a few months later, ... He quickly found out his coils were just about shot and I could pass him anytime I wanted to without even trying.

I guess I just need to find someone by me that knows these motors and has one so I could compare them.

If you have never seen one other than the one you have, ... how would you know it needs freshening up, ... see my point?

Thanks
      Bill

Comment

• Compression is a good place to start .

CMH. 61R
        Short Fuze Racing
        Team Darneille
        ALWAYS LOOKING FOR GOOD CMH PROPS FOR SALE
        IF YOU HAVE ONE LET ME KNOW

Comment

• Um, ... can anyone tell me how the heck do I remove the seal out of the gear case? I cannot get it out.

Bill

Comment

• seal

If it is the top gear case seal it is in the tower . Remove the powerhead and the gear case from the tower then use a long shaft (like a wood dowl rod) and bang out the seal by placing the dowl on the seal from the top of the tower. Install it from the bottom. Observe the lip direction. Inspect the short shaft on the gear case for a good no scratch seal surface. If minor scratches dress with 500 wet paper in a circumferential direction, then go to finer grade like 1000.
            Last edited by ZUL8TR; 01-08-2013, 07:06 AM.
            "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
            No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

• Pete,

I haven't got to that one yet. I'm stuck on the horizontal prop shaft one.

Bill

Comment

• seal

Bill

All I can do for that one is the 102 Manual. There is one on RPM Marine Ric Montoya site.

Look under downloads tab

http://home.comcast.net/~montoya.r/yamato302.html

There is heat envolved to remove the prop shaft before the rear bushing with left hand thread can be removed then the seal is removed.

I have not changed the prop shaft seal on my Y80 so no experience there. Perhaps a racer on this site will chime in.

There is no heat envolved to remove the prop shaft with the Y80 but there is for the 102 and 302 unless someone experienced with these engines has a different approach?

Pete
                Last edited by ZUL8TR; 01-08-2013, 10:07 AM.
                No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

• Bill

Been awhile where are you on the 102 work and the hydro testing?

Pete

Comment

• Bill you can get a fuel pump at your local honda dealer, if your carb is to lean it wont start open it a few more clicks we race 102s and they always fire up first pull ,another problem may be a bad head gasket tj has them for ten bucks if it runs out of fuel to many times it will ruin the seals and bearings dont let it happen. Mix oil 8oz to the gallon no less and non ethanol 93 fuel that should help some ,have fun ...

Comment

• Dont use heat to get the seal out of the prop just screw out the plastic keeper and it will pop out.

Comment

• Last we heard from you was way back in Jan 2013, updates on your progress with the rig?

Comment

Working...
                        X