Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Talk New Locations

Firstly,
    I don't want to sound rude but no I don't want a phone call to discuss this. That's not a slight at any of the experienced members on this site. I know that there are multiple people here who have successfully hosted races. Developed new venues and done more than their share to keep boat racing alive in their respective geographical areas. What I would like is a quick Q&A that could be searchable later (even if the forum goes dark) for future readers.

But hypothetically lets say someone had a venue, where local laws would allow a race. Where the beach access was good, and there was space to host lots of racers. Where there was camping and maybe even a hotel within 15 minutes drive.

So with the basics covered lets talk the nitty gritty.

Insurance is key I think to hosting a real event. CBF and APBA both have published figures for insurance cost. But lets say this was an elaborate testing session with some gentlemen style competition. If there are no prizes and no points to be earned could a 2 day even be held entirely as practice? Or is this a walks like a duck talks like a duck situation? Will current "testing day" insurance

My response would be that anything is possible...Go for it... You can get insurance from the same guy that APBA gets theirs. Keep in mind liability insurance for yourself.
    sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Dean,
      I would have thought the insurance provided through Apba or CBF is liability insurance. If it's not there to provide coverage for the participants what does it cover ?

Comment

40 miles North of Atlanta, Georgia, there is the former 1996 Olympics rowing venue... For boat racing to invade the water there would be similar to the battle between traditional snow skiers and the snowboarders of years gone by; maybe after a few years of boat racing at this venue, the two would get along. I'm certain that any Modified/Open pipe racing would not be allowed at all because it's all residential homes around it. Regarding stock outboards, however, they host bass fishing tournaments there and those starts are pretty noisy with all the high horsepower bass boats leaving at the same time. I think a lot of Lake Lanier property owners in the area are not so happy that this venue, built for the 1996 Olympics, is still around 25 years later because they can't enjoy boating in the lake in front of their own homes due to all the "no wake" zones and events held there that they thought were going to be temporary.

Here is a video of the grounds; https://youtu.be/xaGL3HQGmyk

There is a boathouse, public beach, and shaded picnic area West of Clark's Bridge and large public boat ramp, parking lot, grandstands with a "judges tower?" on the other side. This could be a paid admissions event and it's pretty easy to keep the hot pits and race fans separated.

Not sure he's still around, but I believe Baxter Lusink, had approached this venue in the mid-2000's about hosting an APBA race.

Comment

• Dave Cofone
          Dave Cofone commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't forget there is a HUGE gap in money between serious rowing and boat racing. Not only the cost of a rowing shell which is enormous compared to a stock outboard but the money rowing brings into a community. Having said that my nephew is a rower and he LOVES the little hydro I have. They are all boat people and I am sure both would be fascinated with the others equipment and what it takes to perform well in them. You start there and the community will follow......hopefully.

• larry herman
          larry herman commented
          Editing a comment
          How about a summer Olympics each year there for Outboard Racing ?

The insurance is primary to cover spectators, facilities, etc......not the racers. It is secondary insurance for racers AFTER their primary insurance. If the racer does not have personal insurance, it will help some, but not all. Bottom line, ALL racers should have some form of medical insurance.
        Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Hmmm. We're in Canada so I wonder how that differs. You would think the insurance rates would be significantly lower without the hospital bills looming over the participants.

Comment

-call the CBF office in Valleyfield and ask them. CBF and APBA rates are about the same. Insurance for a VINTAGE event, ie; no 'real' racing,
            is lower . Cost of a on site ambulance can run $500 > 1000 per day .
            Brian Hendrick, #66 F
            "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

Originally posted by Albert View Post
              Dean,
              I would have thought the insurance provided through Apba or CBF is liability insurance. If it's not there to provide coverage for the participants what does it cover ?
              I thought that you were thinking to run a race without APBA or CBF. But their insurance most likely does cover liability. Make sure to read the small print.
              sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

I think the point we are at is that we have interest but our numbers locally probably won't be large enough to support a sanctioned Apba race.
                That being said I could see an accident really taking any momentum out of growing the sport locally.
                So if insurance could be had for a reduced rate for a few events then we could use this first few to work out the kinks, build local participation, and maybe line up some sponsors.

Maybe we should just bite the bullet and go hog wild? What's the minimum number of boats and classes you would need to run an Apba event ?

Comment

For a testing event under CBF you need about $2,000 plus the medic/ambulance cost. This covers patrol boat fuel, port-a-pot, cheap turn buoys, etc. Double this for a basic race. I PM'd you. Duration of event makes no difference in the basic costs (ie 1 day or 3 days). CBF memberships are reduced for new racers ($75 I think?), and I believe about $150 for regular racing memberships. CBF Vintage membership is $75 or so I think, good for racing a motor 25 years or older (many Stock classes fall in that if you don't want to be classified as a regular racing class/points). CBF works in USA, APBA works in Canada except at Nationals or Divisionals, need the host card in that case. You get points for the card you carry if sanctioned by that group.
                  Last edited by Andrew 4CE; 11-02-2020, 01:49 PM.
                  Fralick Racing
                  Like our Facebook Team page "Here"

Comment

The Red River... Selkirk, Manitoba,, just north of Winnipeg. 1991,, John Taylor.. Nice motels and restaurants in Selkirk.
                    We drove all the way from Kansas.

Comment

6DF29608-E737-4E30-8D8D-0E9BB2795CCE.png August 21, we’ll be testing out the site. Not a race, just spirited testing. If anyone in Eastern Canada wants to join us we’re looking at 12-15 boats right now.

Comment

This would be an excellent race course, 20 miles west of Grand Rapids,Mich., minutes from hotels, restaurants and rec gas., surrounded by trees and NO HOMES. lots of room for campers. This is a DNR state park, I have gotten the OK to test 750 mods, others test drag boats.
                        race site.jpg

Comment

• Jdal89
                          Jdal89 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'm in GR. I would be all over this!

While we're talking hopes and dreams- getting something similiar to Cal-Ore on the East Coast- would be great. I'm in the middle chesapeake bay and there are plenty of rivers around here that would potentially work. Definitely would need some long discussions with the actual Cal-Ore guys to understand what sort of logistics they deal with. I'm pretty sure we could get a decent group of east-coasters interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsrhokie View Post
                          While we're talking hopes and dreams- getting something similar to Cal-Ore on the East Coast- would be great. I'm in the middle chesapeake bay and there are plenty of rivers around here that would potentially work. Definitely would need some long discussions with the actual Cal-Ore guys to understand what sort of logistics they deal with. I'm pretty sure we could get a decent group of east-coasters interested.
                          Whose talking hopes and dreams? Last year there was a 1 day event at the location we'll be using. Last year there were 6 boats in attendance, this year we will double or possibly triple that. If this year goes well look for a sanctioned race in 2022.

Comment

• Lsrhokie
                            Lsrhokie commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Sorry- Definitely didn't intend it in that manner. I've been looking at the local rivers around here and have been trying to find the "next steps." I never thought about the testing session avenue to get things started. Appreciate this thread starting up as the info has been helpful.

• Albert
                            Albert commented
                            Editing a comment
                            All good, I was just razzing you a bit.

If people want to use this thread to compile new locations then I'm happy to see it used that way.
                        Working...
                        X