Clear All

• bill hoctor
    replied
    Eh!

Leave a comment:

• Albert
    commented on 's reply
    Bill,
    I don't see a day when I live anywhere but Canada. I know there are a lot of Patriotic Americans who will disagree but I believe I live in the best country in the world.

It would just be a little better if we had local hydroplane racing. If I can help make that happen, even if my contribution is mostly limited to talking to people and trying to get them excited, than so be it.

• bill hoctor
    replied
    Originally posted by bh/ View Post
    Albert; I don't wish to 'rain on your parade', and applaud what u are doing in bringing boat racing
    back to the Maritimes, but if you do not run this event under a CBF/APBA sanction,
    then at the very least, have any one who enters upon that property sign a waiver.
    This 'may' protect you in case of a law suit launched by injured innocent 3rd party.
    My biggest concern would be local boaters, traversing or parking out on your testing area.
    WithEasy answerout a sanction, you have no right to tell them to leave .
    Easy answer..Move to Region 1 or 3..Join APBA Join a club ...RACE ! Problem solved!

Leave a comment:

• bh/
    commented on 's reply
    bonne chance !

• Albert
    commented on 's reply
    We have it somewhat organized. Like most things I can't take credit for too much of it. Many cogs in the wheel and lots to figure out with only a little over a week to go.

It's still not to late to come down and help us out, I think there are a couple of Ontario residents coming down.

• bh/
    commented on 's reply
    -sounds as if u have it well organized .

• Albert
    commented on 's reply
    Brian,
    Rain away as there is certainly a lot to consider when setting up a race from the logistics and legal stand points.

We have a waiver drawn up for all racers and people entering the pits to sign.
    Pits will be separate from the spectators and kept dry. We have medical (off duty paramedics) on site and the local volunteer fire department will be running one of our two safety boats. We're trying to make this a safe event even if we are not flying the apba or cbf colours. We know that's where we want to go in the future and the time to start with best practices is now.

Is it as nice as having full event insurance and being sanctioned...No. Is it enough to make sure that the organizers are not legally responsible if something happens. I have been lead to believe that yes it is.

I agree that other boaters are a challenge however we are far off the main boating channel in the location we're running. Last year we had a few boats park and watch and several had to be asked to move back. This year hopefully when a boat full of firefighters ask them to back up they will listen. If a boat is deemed to close we simply won't run until they clear out.
    Last edited by Albert; 08-10-2021, 09:44 AM.

• bh/
    replied
    Albert; I don't wish to 'rain on your parade', and applaud what u are doing in bringing boat racing
    back to the Maritimes, but if you do not run this event under a CBF/APBA sanction,
    then at the very least, have any one who enters upon that property sign a waiver.
    This 'may' protect you in case of a law suit launched by injured innocent 3rd party.
    My biggest concern would be local boaters, traversing or parking out on your testing area.
    Without a sanction, you have no right to tell them to leave .
    Last edited by bh/; 08-10-2021, 08:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Albert
    commented on 's reply
    All good, I was just razzing you a bit.

If people want to use this thread to compile new locations then I'm happy to see it used that way.

• Lsrhokie
    commented on 's reply
    Sorry- Definitely didn't intend it in that manner. I've been looking at the local rivers around here and have been trying to find the "next steps." I never thought about the testing session avenue to get things started. Appreciate this thread starting up as the info has been helpful.

• Albert
    replied
    Originally posted by Lsrhokie View Post
    While we're talking hopes and dreams- getting something similar to Cal-Ore on the East Coast- would be great. I'm in the middle chesapeake bay and there are plenty of rivers around here that would potentially work. Definitely would need some long discussions with the actual Cal-Ore guys to understand what sort of logistics they deal with. I'm pretty sure we could get a decent group of east-coasters interested.
    Whose talking hopes and dreams? Last year there was a 1 day event at the location we'll be using. Last year there were 6 boats in attendance, this year we will double or possibly triple that. If this year goes well look for a sanctioned race in 2022.

Leave a comment:

• Jdal89
    commented on 's reply
    I'm in GR. I would be all over this!

• Lsrhokie
    replied
    While we're talking hopes and dreams- getting something similiar to Cal-Ore on the East Coast- would be great. I'm in the middle chesapeake bay and there are plenty of rivers around here that would potentially work. Definitely would need some long discussions with the actual Cal-Ore guys to understand what sort of logistics they deal with. I'm pretty sure we could get a decent group of east-coasters interested.

Leave a comment:

• john527
    replied
    This would be an excellent race course, 20 miles west of Grand Rapids,Mich., minutes from hotels, restaurants and rec gas., surrounded by trees and NO HOMES. lots of room for campers. This is a DNR state park, I have gotten the OK to test 750 mods, others test drag boats.
    race site.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Albert
    replied
    6DF29608-E737-4E30-8D8D-0E9BB2795CCE.png August 21, we’ll be testing out the site. Not a race, just spirited testing. If anyone in Eastern Canada wants to join us we’re looking at 12-15 boats right now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X