No announcement yet.

Please Help!!!! Getting Smoked By A Suzuki

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swap the several cases of beer for a couple of bottles of whiskey! That'll save some weight! F=ma. Reduce the mass and get off the beach faster.

Then convert the fuel system to methanol and add about 15-20% Nitromethane. The low compression ratio should be able to handle it. That should get you some more ponies...
    Last edited by alky6; 01-05-2007, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by alky6 View Post
      Then convert the fuel system to methanol and add about 15-20% Nitromethane. The low compression ratio should be able to handle it. That should get you some more ponies...
      You'll need that bigger prop too...

Comment

we hunt in bayou meto. its public grounds and you cant leave the gate until 4am its a boat race from hell. im 3 for 3 on racing to my hole. even beat a guy runnin 39mph and i was only at 27top speed GPS. JUST NEVER GAVE UP. so the heart is there, just not the HP. No one knows about the difference of a 20hp merc and a 25hp merc. surely its not much. PLEASE HELP.

Comment

Originally posted by 25hpMercMan View Post
          we hunt in bayou meto. its public grounds and you cant leave the gate until 4am its a boat race from hell. im 3 for 3 on racing to my hole. even beat a guy runnin 39mph and i was only at 27top speed GPS. JUST NEVER GAVE UP. so the heart is there, just not the HP. No one knows about the difference of a 20hp merc and a 25hp merc. surely its not much. PLEASE HELP.
          the 20hp has a smaller carb than the 25.......
          Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

So there is no way to get my rpms higher. I know a 20hp mercury is the exact same motor as our 25merc. except for the RPM change. how did they change the RPM's why cant i change my RPMS to make my motor a 30 hp or even a 35hp. I hear guys running there boats at 7500 to 9000 rpms on these racing forums. I dont have to be running that high of RPMs but is there no way to increase them. I put boyseen reeds in it. What direction in prop pitch should i try. What about Port and polishing the heads? what about maybe doing some modifications to my Throttle, cause it feels like i have alot left after im full throttle, or modifying the restrictor plate. Or maybe buy some racing Parts that everyone races with. Please HELP i know there are someone out there that can help me. another thing is that i have ran this motor on a 14' wide 42"bottom alluminum boat and got only 27.5mph and also i have put it on a 16'wide 48" bottom WAR EAGLE that is really light and only got 27.5mphs. The factory specs for the motor say it will only do 27mph so it seems to have a restrictor on it.

first off the 18/20/25 are the same bore and stroke, the 30 is not. There is NO cylinder head on your motor. Porting might get you a few extra RPM's, but no big change with closed exhaust. You can drill some relief holes in the tower, it might help a tiny bit. Lighten the flywheel and you will gain a few more RPM's............but, you are not gonna gain much at all on that boat with that motor, without spending a TON of $$$$. You need a lighter boat!
            Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

we hunt in bayou meto. its public grounds and you cant leave the gate until 4am its a boat race from hell.
              Here's the boat you need. http://www.hydroracer.net/forums/sho...ght=arltralite

You really need a bigger motor and/or a lighter boat.

What have you done to optimize your present set up?

What do you have for a prop?

There's not much - if anything - you can do to your motor that will help. You are going to have to concentrate of optimizing what you have by testing props and set up or get a bigger motor and/or a lighter boat.

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

Why don`t you just get up a little earlier, so you can get to your honey hole before the Suzuki crowd. Am I over simplifying?

Comment

Originally posted by RTM View Post
                  Why don`t you just get up a little earlier, so you can get to your honey hole before the Suzuki crowd. Am I over simplifying?
                  Appears you are.

we hunt in bayou meto. its public grounds and you cant leave the gate until 4am

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

I think I have the best idea. Go to your local Winn-Dixie and buy a couple of ducks. The feathers are all pulled out, all you got to do is cook 'em and eat 'em. Then sell your duck boat and motor, shotgun and all that stuff and buy a racing boat and come race with us. Bring the ducks and we'll have BBQ duck on Saturday night.

Comment

Seriously

How much money do you want to spend on modifications? How user friendly do you want it to be in the lower end (idle)? Will this rig be used other than "racing" to the blind? There are options, but you are going to have to give up on the low end (idle and partial throttle).

Comment

Ole' touche" ?

Originally posted by T Chance View Post
                        I think I have the best idea. Go to your local Winn-Dixie and buy a couple of ducks. The feathers are all pulled out, all you got to do is cook 'em and eat 'em. Then sell your duck boat and motor, shotgun and all that stuff and buy a racing boat and come race with us. Bring the ducks and we'll have BBQ duck on Saturday night.
                        That's the best idea, You's to hunt in Moullie , Lake Erie till' only mallards were left.
                        Oh well.
                        RichardKCMo
                        RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

alky6, Ijust need someone to tell me what those options are so that i can decide what i have to give up to get my motor running better. money is no object when you are trying to get to the honey hole first. You guys know how it is, you want to be the first across the finish line and I just want to be the first to the hole. What about port/polish the jug, running higher rpm's, milling out the resrtrictor plate?

Comment

No porting . . .

or very slight port mods, like chamfering. Hard to outsmart factory engineers when filing ports. I had a Merc 25 on my 14' runabout and it would run around 40 mph. What I did to my Merc 25 was clean up the carb throat and intake passages. That included filing down the rod that supports the butterfly valve and trimming the butterfly bolts off flush. I trimmed the prop as well, although prop trimming usually followed a *whoopsie* impact with underwater objects. And I used strips of cedar shingles (they're tapered) to jack the engine off the transom. Wedge `em under the clamp bracket and keep adding pairs of shingles until the engine cavitated when in a turn. This set up required me to open throttle for a hole shot, dash forward and jump on the foredeck to knock the nose down, then dash back and resume steering the dang thing. What fun!
                            carpetbagger

Comment

25hpMercMan - I have the answer for your speed delima. The Arkansas Waterfowl Hunting Guidebook says no more than 25 hp motors. However, it does not say how many motors you can have. If money is no object, just buy another 25 hp and run twins. Should see a great increase in performance of your 16' boat.

Tony

=========================
                              Tony L. Anderson
                              tonylanderson@hotmail.com
                              sigpic

Comment

There It is !!

Originally posted by WILDONOUACHITA View Post
                                25hpMercMan - I have the answer for your speed delima. The Arkansas Waterfowl Hunting Guidebook says no more than 25 hp motors. However, it does not say how many motors you can have. If money is no object, just buy another 25 hp and run twins. Should see a great increase in performance of your 16' boat.

Tony
                                It is all interpretations of the rules.

In all seriousness, you can make your 25 faster than 40MPH with mods. However, it becomes undependable, and in cold weather it will start hard, and it will need sevearl minutes to warm up in the cold water when you break ice before it will optimize the power in it. Basically I am saying you would only be able to use this mod engine to race to and from. Forget using it other times of the year unles you are wide open throttle all the time. Secretley buy a Suzuki and put a Merc Cowl on it so your buddies don't know.

Ever think about a Mud Buddy or Gator Tail mud motor ? I personally like the Beavertail boats, similar to War Eagle but faster and better, and the gator tail engines. Gator tail is the only mud motor with reverse shifter. All others you have to pivot the engine 180 for reverse. You can obtain some good speeds with this, maybe enough to win the race to the honey hole.
                                Dave Mason
                                Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Working...
                                X