Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help!!!! Getting Smoked By A Suzuki

Hello All.
    im a crazy duckhunter from Arkansas, and i just purchased a new 25hp mercury, 2 stroke of course. well my problem is that i need more hp than 25 but the restrictions on my hunting grounds are set at 25hp. people are running modified old suzuki 25hp 3 cyl. and stomping me. i have done some research and i know there is an old mercury racing motor that is a 25hp and i know there are now some conversion kits to make them faster. I dont have to go 70mph but it would be nice to go around 35mph to 40mph. i understand the boat everyone is racing is a small boat. my boat is a 16' War Eagle it will run the speed mercury says it will out of the box. (27mph). please anyone out there with any advice, fill me in. thanks,

ps hate to see my mercury get smoked to my honey hole again.

Suzuki 3cyl 25/30 hp.....

The only difference between their 25hp & 30hp is a belcrank on the center carb. The 25hp does not open the carbs completely & the 30hp does. If he has the "correct" belcrank.......you are going to keep chasing him.
    17W

"You gotta do the work"- Pop Trolian

Comment

is there not any way to turn it up to higher rpm's or what is this i hear about a restrictor plate on these motors.

Comment

Go Fast

Buy a 35 or 45 hp motor and put a 25 HP sticker on the cowl.

Comment

the game wardens already know that trick

Comment

hey duckhunter sounds like a big boat little motor, weight and friction are your enemy. Carry just enough fuel to go to your hunting spot and back to ramp , keep hunting gear to a minimum and in the back of the boat this includes passengers, I hope your hunting buddys are slim. Oh yea dont forget to raise motor high as you can on transom and still plane off. If all the above dosent help trade for a smaller lighter boat and keep your motor.

good luck Tony

=========================
            Tony L. Anderson
            tonylanderson@hotmail.com
            sigpic

Comment

yeah, heavy boat . . .

Back in the good ol' daze when I wuz a wee pup I had a 14' plywood boat with a Mark 25 merc. Bad boy would do 40+ mph, no prob. The year was 1957 and the marine police, running a Mark 60 on a Raveau hull, couldn't catch me. Boat was light, and I was skinny light - maybe 100 pounds.

Now I have an 18 1/2 foot aluminum Starcraft runabout which I put on a diet (trashed all the heavy 3/4" wood flooring for 1/2") with a 115 Yamahonker. Detuned, so I can let friends borrow it with less danger of them hurting themselves, it will run 50+mph. Jacked and scarey, it will push 60 mph.

Oh yeah, try jacking the engine. I used strips of cedar shingles under the clamp brackets of my Mark 25. Keep wedging the shingle slivers in until the prop starts to cavitate in a turn. Also, I shaved the prop a bit on the 25. You know, get a ding in the edge and instead of trashing the prop just file the bugger down.

Or - you could buy a Suzuki
              carpetbagger

Comment

Wishful thinking........

Originally posted by 25hpMercMan View Post
                Hello All.
                im a crazy duckhunter from Arkansas, and i just purchased a new 25hp mercury, 2 stroke of course. well my problem is that i need more hp than 25 but the restrictions on my hunting grounds are set at 25hp. people are running modified old suzuki 25hp 3 cyl. and stomping me. i have done some research and i know there is an old mercury racing motor that is a 25hp and i know there are now some conversion kits to make them faster. I dont have to go 70mph but it would be nice to go around 35mph to 40mph. i understand the boat everyone is racing is a small boat. my boat is a 16' War Eagle it will run the speed mercury says it will out of the box. (27mph). please anyone out there with any advice, fill me in. thanks,

ps hate to see my mercury get smoked to my honey hole again.

You're not going to outrun that Suzuki with your motor on similar boats. I have a Suzuki 3 cylinder 30 on a 1544 Alumaweld and nothing similar to it will stay with it. Not the 3 cylinder 25 Yamaha, not the 2 cylinder 35 OMC, not the 2 cylinder 25 Merc. Nothing! I don't have my owners' manual handy but I'm pretty sure that the Suzuki is larger than 30 cubic inches (32" - 33").

Also, there's more to going fast than just the motor. What have you done to try to optimize your set up? What about your prop? I bought the biggest stainless prop that Suzuki made for my motor at the time and had it re-worked (added pitch and cup). Maybe your competitor has worked on his set up and prop? That 16' War Eagle you have is a nice boat but it's also a big boat for a 25. What boat does your competitor have?

Just for reference, a late 90's model 3 cylinder 25 Yamaha on my 1544 Alumaweld will run a hair over 29 mph on GPS with the stock aluminum prop.

You need a bigger motor.

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

??

So there is no way to get my rpms higher. I know a 20hp mercury is the exact same motor as our 25merc. except for the RPM change. how did they change the RPM's why cant i change my RPMS to make my motor a 30 hp or even a 35hp. I hear guys running there boats at 7500 to 9000 rpms on these racing forums. I dont have to be running that high of RPMs but is there no way to increase them. I put boyseen reeds in it. What direction in prop pitch should i try. What about Port and polishing the heads? what about maybe doing some modifications to my Throttle, cause it feels like i have alot left after im full throttle, or modifying the restrictor plate. Or maybe buy some racing Parts that everyone races with. Please HELP i know there are someone out there that can help me. another thing is that i have ran this motor on a 14' wide 42"bottom alluminum boat and got only 27.5mph and also i have put it on a 16'wide 48" bottom WAR EAGLE that is really light and only got 27.5mphs. The factory specs for the motor say it will only do 27mph so it seems to have a restrictor on it.

Comment

There's no "factory spec" on that motor saying 27mph is top speed...

Don't know where you read that, but I'm sitting at a Mercury parts counter looking at the propeller selection chart for the 25hp 2-stroke motor and you should be able to get up to 35mph on a light aluminum boat with the 10.25" diameter x 14.5" pitch Black Max propeller. ( Part No. 48-19642A40 )

Put this prop on it, jack it up higher on the transom until the cavitation plate is 1/2" above the bottom of the boat, then start tossing your hunting gear out of the boat until you hit 35mph.

Comment

Did someone say Big FAT Greenheads in the decoys ?

War Eagle ... Big Heavy Boat. But a Cadillac for Mallet huntin' !

Here's what I do:
                      GET to the RAMP FIRST and have everything as ready to start the motor and GO as possible. No jackin' with the tarps, transom savers, decoys, tie downs etc. just BE READY to splash the boat off the trailer asap .. Lock the truck and GO !
                      I have to play that "1st one to the Hole deal" up here occassionally too ...
                      I typically WIN, even If it means leavin' a couple hours earlier than everybody else. You can sleep in the blind after you're setup.. if you do fall asleep don't worry the ducks will tell you when they're there.
                      The other thing is .. JACK the motor up ! and ...
                      IF you think we'll kill a limit you can call me and I'll bring a few props down to try ! ( along with my gun, waders, and dog of course )
                      Above all be careful out there. A duck (even hangin' over the decoys at 15yds) is not worth an accident. Rivers can be unforgiving .. I trust you know that though .. Good Luck

Comment

Get some of those government issue TNT spark plugs and give them to your compeditors for christmas... they'll never get off the beach...

Or

Buy some fuel from Ladd... I hear he's got the good stuff

Just joking Kevin... smile, the snow it on its way

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by pearson95m View Post
                          Buy some fuel from Ladd... I hear he's got the good stuff
                          Just joking Kevin... smile, the snow it on its way
                          Josh
                          Hey 4 ... I thought it ...but Josh actually typed it .. You know I love ya man ( I mean dude ) !

Josh I hope you're right about that snow. C'mon already....

Comment

unbelievable...

first: that a duck hunter is on here to get speed tips.

second: that you guys are actually knowledgable about hunting and able to help him.

third: that there's no ice anywhere this year to prevent january 'testing'.

forth (and most importantly): that i'm still getting harassed about [not-] my fuel !!

yeah, i have some good stuff left. $15/gal. discount. otherwise i'll run it in my sled and blow josh away.

95M... big birthday tomorrow! happy b-day in advance.
                            kladd-

Comment

Ducks Not Down There Yet

I hear the flights are not down to Arkansas yet, is this true ? Was gonna make a trip to Stuggart for a long weekend, but reports had me leary.

For your 25 HP. Got any noise restrictions ? If not, put a pipe on it and go like hell. Let me know where you will be hunting, I wanna be in the next channel over.

29H has the best advice. Get up an hour earlier and get going. I have to do that around here when I hunt public waters. I now have a couple provate honey holes to hunt and this season whacked and stacked up well near 50 ducks.

Can't you find a lease somewhere close to you ? I know of several hunting clubs down in Arkansas that will let you lease a pit in the flooded rice for about 2k - 3K a year. If I lived down there and had a few buds, I would be into that. Cheaper than traveling all over hell to find the ducks on public land.
                              Dave Mason
                              Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Working...
                              X