No announcement yet.

mercury racing lower unit alloy grade.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can look for that info tomorrow if that isn't too late.
    Fred Hauenstein

Comment

Alcoa

Here is some info on a380.

http://www.krdiecasting.com/pdf/Sect3.pdf

Alan

Comment

356 t6

The 25XS/44XS gear cases were cast of 356 T6.
        Fred Hauenstein

Comment

356 T6 alloy

fred, any suggestion what is suitable filler to tig weld these alloy?

Comment

I'd be afraid that post-weld heat-treating might distort the gearcase enough that the machining would no longer be true. If you're just welding a new tip to a broken skeg, maybe just a 175-200F preheat would do (and maybe FWIW have a propshaft and bearings in place and a cone torqued down, if you are having to weld close to the bulb).

Comment

I have welded skags on by submerging the whole unit in a pan of water with just the skag sticking up. The body of the unit will stay cool. It takes a lot of heat as a lot of the heat transfer will go to the water. I have also made up a dummy cartridge and tightened up the cone to help hold it form distorting as much. I have a D merc unit we have been running for years with a lot of welding on it to make a hatchet type unit.

Larry Mac

Comment

Better give Alan Akerstrom a call 978-692-5224, He can repair your merc gear housing.

Comment

I had one welded to fix a broken skeg. It failed at Top O' after about 5 miles on the first day. The top bearing seized, I figured it was from distortion due to the welding. Dave loaned me a 102 to run the second day.
                  kk

Comment

Welded Skeg

I have had several welded over the years, D Quicky, both 55H and 44XS, and SSM 6, with never, ever a failure... Won Nationals with welded skegs.

If yours failed at the skeg and it was distorted all the way to the top bearing, you don't need an alloy number, you need a skilled welder. Don't use the guy who did this ever again.

Jerry

Comment

Agreed

I agree with Jerry. We have welded a good many skegs over the years. If one failed, it was poor welding. I have completely reshaped a gearcase skeg for superior handling charateristics, and that was under a SEH, or 850CCH Mod boat. Can't beat one up much more than that. Even the Pro classes are easier on gearcases than that.
                      Dave Mason
                      Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Mercury Lower Unit

I am looking for a dood merc unit to put under my super E if anyone has a good one they want to part with PM me. Thx

Comment

Working...
                        X