Gears and Gearcases - Assorted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Sam;

Can you imagine how fast Bob Wartinger would have gone with a Yomato Lite, and 46mm "R" Dimension.
    Actually, 130mph with a 40 cubic inch engine is the World's Fastest/per cubic inch displacement.
    The above is all for fun, and the fun is what we race for.

Jim

Comment

• Faster lower unit

Actually the fastest lower unit per cubic inch displacement is a Rossi GRM unit that went over 112mph from a 20 cubic inch GRM motor, and almost every competition record set at Ocoee, Florida last year was set with the Rossi GRM lower units. Price $1250.00. If you want to go fast in a straight line or in a circle, get a GRM.

Rex Hall

Comment

• That's telling him................

Go Rex!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• what is the aspect ratio of the komato??

Comment

• ASPECT RATIO of Komato is 5.8. With it's very aerodynamic design, no gear bulge, and 5.8 A.R., it is a very efficient gear box.

Jim McKean "captainjimmckean@yahoo.com"

Comment

• I'm for fun

Comment

• Brian/125cc

Brian;

I think you are right about 125cc. Thanks for correcting me
                I was making point that YOMATO LITE had World's best Aspect Ratio.

Jim

Comment

• John..

This is just about an incredible series of posts.
                  First, it appears that we have a person (that's you) looking for a gearfoot for an OMC A. So, it's obvious to me he's looking for a "legal to run" A gear foot, not some frigging fugoweee gearfoot that's used on a fishing motor or a 125 rossi.

And then, in-between-the-lines, someone makes fun of the grab bag of ( J ) props. As you may or may not know, everyone uses the same props in J.

Then we depart further and get into run-what-you-brung 4 strokes fer crissakes!

AND NOWHERE DOES ANYONE MENTION what kind of prop was being used on the fishing model when the speed runs were made. OR, who made the prop.

John, you need an A gearfoot. Call Ed Runne, they're about $1150 new plus UPS. They are good little units. Set your engine height lower than the book calls for when testing. Talk to your outboard racing club about borrowing a J propeller to test with if you're running J. Or call Craig Dewald and get him to make you one. Same for an AXH or AXR prop. Go racing this summer.

Alex
                  Last edited by ram95; 02-23-2011, 08:23 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• You simply dont get it. This sport is going down fast. It is and hasd been dysfunctional for years.

Seasoned boat racers designed a class so their kids can be coached to run, which is called J class. They take a 15HP fishing engine, sticjk a $1200.00 gear case on it to make it go fast, then stuff a gagging collar in the carb to slow it down, when the stock gear case does the same thing as all that crap a $1200 case and a $10 gagging collar does....

Slows the boat down....
                    The J grab bag props situation sucks. Any time I used our J test prop we could plane....30% of the time, due to people who sold boats claiming they would be great J boats.... Only to find, they were great A boats....

Put the stock shifter case on and they make great J boats.... with 800 plus members, APBA has no business dictating to anyone what to run, nor do they need to tell you what gearcase to run....But hey,rules are rules moronic \as they seem.........Just keep running ti the way your parents all did, keep your opwn personal intersts up front, and see how fast it hits the bowl of the toilet....
                    Its sad a great sport is sinking deeper and deeper because of the lack of vision that would save it....
                    Bill Schwab
                    Miss KTDoodle #62C
                    -Naturescape encinitas landscape company

Comment

• Racing Gear Case

Hello Racers;

I have REAL Racing Gear Cases, Gearfoot, Gear Boxes. Yomato Lite, Yomato, Komato, and Konny, prices $195 to $1465. These are real full out racing Gear Cases, not Fishing Motor Foots.
                      Contact me at.............."captainjimmckean@yahoo.com"

Comment

• Originally posted by Howie Nichols View Post
                        We run a special event class at Jesup that is a Merc 4 stroke 15 hp engine on a A hydro size boat. They seem to run well and are probably in the 30-35 mph range. We call it 4-stroke Hydro, it is available for anyone to add to their sanction now.
                        hi scott see you read the article

Comment

• Gearfoot

Originally posted by Skoontz View Post
                          You simply dont get it. This sport is going down fast. It is and hasd been dysfunctional for years.
                          Its sad a great sport is sinking deeper and deeper because of the lack of vision that would save it....
                          Like it or not, the J class with its bag of props is working fairly well. There's a lot of equipment out there for a person to get started with. There is already a rulebook to go by and spec sheets to inspect the motors. All stuff a person absolutely has to have for fair competition. The evolution of J was not due to a bunch of morons. Sure the sanity of the J Commission has come under question (sometimes jokingly sometimes seriously) but, they have managed to keep the ball rolling. Let's not wreck it.

Back to the person who started this de-ranged thread... all they asked for was information on finding an "A" gearfoot for an OMC 15. Have you got one?

And regarding the 4 stroke and 4 stroke boats; running fishing engine gearfoots on the OMC 15 in J, A, AX, etc... time to start another thread for that one.

Alex

Comment

• This has turned into a interesting post. I have for years wondered why we use racing lower units in J class. It instantly adds 1000+ dollars to get started in racing and a racing lower unit is not really need to race J.
                            I got started with a stock fishing engine and lower unit merc kg7 on a old hydro just pond running. It ran fine, always went on plane in about 15 feet and that was with a alluimium stock fishing propeller and only went about 35mph all day.

This really does need to be deeply thought about in reducing cost in racing J classes. It instantly makes it $1000. cheeper to get in racing and no special props need just a std fishing prop.

53W

Comment

• 2-Fer One

I just bought my daughter a J rig to race for the first time this summer. Don't forget, with the JS and racing gearfoot you also get ASX less the restrictor. J is supposed to also be a place to gain experience to move up to the next class. Would a fishing gearcase do that?

Comment

• J class

Originally posted by 53-W View Post
                                This has turned into a interesting post. I have for years wondered why we use racing lower units in J class.
                                53W
                                Simple Darell. It started when someone had the great idea to add a restrictor plate to the OMC A and voila -you have a J engine. A parent can race A and their kid J for the cost of a $15 restrictor plate. I realize that it is not quite that simple anymore but that is how it started and the idea that several members of a family or team can run multiple classes with one engine is great.

PS - if we go to the fishing gearcase for J do you promise to come help me change gearcases between ASR and JH? Put the tiller handle on too and I'll buy you a beer.
                                Last edited by BP125V; 02-24-2011, 07:06 PM.
                                Support your local club and local races.

Bill Pavlick

I'm just glad I'm not Michael Mackey - BPIII

Comment

Working...
                                X