Press realese just sent out from APBA HQ - sobering numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reed28n View Post
    Region 1 - a handfull of events with limited classes. Good fields of boats in each. This promotes those particular classes. Keeps the program easy to understand for people new to the sport. The classes that run all the boats complete all the laps without mechanical failure...usually. Hard working club members.

Region 6 - They have been able to maintain the closest thing to the racing we all remember as kids. They have keep all stock races all stock classes. New racers are attracted to classes that will be able to compete on a national level. Hard working club members.

Region 10 - good fields of a limited number of classes. Drivers are attracted to and recognize the value in purchasing in stock equipment.

Our biggest barrier of entry is the vast number of classes across an ever growing number of categories. Our race results and race recaps are completely impossible to comprehend to anyne outside of our sport. As long as our orgnaization cannot see outside of our own self interest we will continue to decline because we are not marketable to the mass public.

We have a handful of events. Most of the racing goes completely unnoticed. There are too many entertainment options competing for the publics limited disposable income.

Solutions - a plan that brings us to a core number of classes governed by a core number of categories.

Update our web site

Establish a marketing plan.

Do Not vote people into office that are content with the here and now. Our elected positions should not be earned by years of service but reward to people with vision and fresh ideas.

I'm not buying anything you're selling Reed. You can't even spell WORKING. Wroking ?? What beer are you on?

Comment

Lack of BS

Originally posted by fcliff View Post
      Not really. Their history goes to NOA days.There was no mod in APBA at that time. When NOA folded APBA Mod was born. Some of us race all three organizations and and have a great time. I can say we always are abe to meet our weekend expenses when we race with NBRA.
      And when you race NBRA you don't have a phalanx of committees to please, a rule book the size of the LA Yellow Pages, and entry fees that require the sale of the first born son.

In all, it's a good place to race and be with friends.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dcrummett View Post
        And when you race NBRA you don't have a phalanx of committees to please, a rule book the size of the LA Yellow Pages, and entry fees that require the sale of the first born son.

In all, it's a good place to race and be with friends.

Dan
        I would be shocked if having a comprehensive set of rules is the biggest challenge facing small outboard racing. In fact, the only reason APBA has such a large rule book is to give Dave Mason something to complain about.

–Mike H.
        hauenstein outboard team
        186-W * 28-C * 4-T * C-101

Comment

This it really sad. I remember when Mike Jones was the APBA president in the 1980s saying at the end of the year "we did it again" in reference to making the organization bigger than the previous year. I remember membership to be in the high 8000s at that time. When I read the membership was in the 4000s my heart skipped a beat. I have had many things happen over the years and will probably never race again but wil will look into an associate membership, which I maintained into the mid to late 90s, for the next season and take picsture of the events instead of racing.
          The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to go beyond them into the impossible.

New quote for my marathon training:
          Pushing the limits means getting out of your comfort zone.

Comment

While I know several racers have had to sit out the majority of this season, for various reasons beyond their control. Yet several regions have brought in multiple new racers in 2010. So it will be interesting to see the year end totals.

"The Coffee Guy"
            TEAM CAFFEINE
            Cranked up and ready to Roll

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strengths (Corrie ten Boom)

"Cup of Joe? Not no mo! Kevs Coffee is the only way to go!" (John Runne 09)
            " IF you can find a better cup of coffee... Kev will drink it!" (Michael Mackey 08)

Comment

True

Originally posted by Haüenstein View Post
              I would be shocked if having a comprehensive set of rules is the biggest challenge facing small outboard racing. In fact, the only reason APBA has such a large rule book is to give Dave Mason something to complain about.

–Mike H.
              Maybe APBA should focus their efforts on consolidating and simplifing things. Just a thought though. At least some folks are aware if they are using my name to compare notes. I guess that could be ruled as progress.

What is sad Mike, is that both our families are very deeply rooted into boat racing, and the hay days are gone. Our racing familes are a shell of their former selves. Gone are the glory days of seeing 500 entries for a single category event. I give up. I know what the problem is, but nobody can seem to agree on a solution.
              Dave Mason
              Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Maybe 500 entries is not a sign of sucess, there are only 40something entries at most Nascar events--are they sucessful? Maybe we need to decide what sucessful means and work from there??
                Pat

Comment

NASCAR does not run all the classes we attempt. Low turn-out means tooooo many 4 boat fields. Boring to both racers and spectators. Jack

Comment

Too many classes

Originally posted by Jack Stotts View Post
                    NASCAR does not run all the classes we attempt. Low turn-out means tooooo many 4 boat fields. Boring to both racers and spectators. Jack
                    Jack,

Glad you said it, as I rarely can stay interested at local races for that reason & I've been around racing for over half of a century. Going to the OPC nationals in Kankakee this weekend, and went to Depue again. It's been an age old agrument about classes & number of boats, but some consolidation is necessary.

Comment

Class count

The length of the program is a major concern. We have too many classes that all run the same speed. We need a few feature classses with lots of laps or lots of heats or multiple races.....that will keep peoples interest and allow racers to get there moneys worth.

I would much rather be able to run one rig more heats. As opposed to having multiple rigs in multiple classes to get seat time.

Elimination or planned phase out of classes is not popular, but by not doing anything you are participating in a planned phase out of APBA all thogether....

Comment

I agree

I agree about less classes. This year has been so boring, every race I have been seems like it is a 6-8 hour day watching 4 boat classes. The only good racing I have seen this year is CSH at Franklin and Akron 10-12 both times and very evenly matched. I am not writing to complain, I am not sure where the answer lies. However, I have gotten to the point where I am bored enough with racing to consider whether it is worth all the effort. If die hards like myself are thinking this way we have to consider something different, don't we?

Comment

Length of program issues

If I could add my two cents regarding the length of program issue, back at the end of July I attended the first ever Redbull wake tour event held here in the DC area.

The event pulled in crowds by the thousands and appeared to be a success.

Check out the length of the program and draw your own conclusion from there.

From the promo ad:
                          http://www.redbullusa.com/cs/Satelli...21242868975334

The banks of the Potomac are about to see something special. Red Bull athletes and Professional Wakeboarders Brian Grubb, Parks Bonifay, JD Webb, and Adam Errington are taking their beloved sport to National Harbor in Washington, DC. They will fly, they will soar, they will wow the crowd with wild airs and double overhead sprays of the Potomac River.

These tremendous water athletes will be flying off of custom made features built especially for National Harbor. Towed by Red Bull Waverunners, Grub, Bonifay, Webb and Errington, along with some local wakeboarders, will put on quite a show for National Harbor visitors.

When: Saturday, July 31, 2010 @ 3:00 PM – 4:30 PM

Where: National Harbor, Maryland

Click for Directions

There will be a post-event autograph signing.

National Harbor will show Red Bull Athlete and Pro Wakeboarder Parks Bonifay documentary on July 22. For more information, please visit www.nationalharbor.com

Attached Files
                          Last edited by HRTV; 09-02-2010, 06:14 AM.
                          HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Ideas

I am not saying we have to be done in an hour and a half (I know that is not what you are saying either Dan), but cmon....I just came from Dayton. I watched 9 hours or 4-6 boat racing. It was brutal! and I love the sport?

I think we are slicing the pie up into to many pieces.

Questions?

Why cant we combine Stock and Mod?

Do we need D Stock Hydro and Runabout, lets make anything four cylinder Mod classes. The last ten years has proved that the Mod. four cylinders are more popular classes.

Cant we eliminate FAH and FAR?

25SSH Hydro and Runabout, really?
                            Last edited by csh12M; 09-02-2010, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CSH12M View Post
                              I am not saying we have to be done in an hour and a half (I know that is not what you are saying wither Dan), but cmon....I just came from Dayton. I watched 9 hours or 4-6 boat racing. It was brutal! and I love the sport?

I think we are slicing the pie up into to many pieces.

Questions?

Why cant we combine Stock and Mod?

Do we need D Stock Hydro and Runabout, lets make anything four cylinder Mod classes. The last ten years has proved that the Mod. four cylinders are better classes.

Cant we eliminate FAH and FAR?

25SSH Hydro and Runabout, really?
                              I'm voting for you.....
                              Shawn Breisacher

Comment

How do you think this would work in the stock catagory JSR,JSH, ASR, BSR,
                                (CSR/25SSR combined), ASH, (BSH/25ssh combined) CSH,20SSH DSH. this would eliminate most of the 4 boat races, scored separately. Back to 10 Classes 4 hour program.

Comment

Working...
                                X