• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Press realese just sent out from APBA HQ - sobering numbers

Read more at HRTV

http://www.hydroracertv.com
    HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

For Immediate Release from APBA National Headquarters

February 1, 2010

APBA National Meeting honors champions, sets turnaround agenda

Eastpointe, Michigan – “The sport we save may be our own,” said American Power Boat Association President Mark Weber at the National Meeting in Tukwila, Wash. January 27-30, 2010. Weber and Vice President Mark Wheeler charted sobering statistics. APBA regions and racing categories have suffered a steady decline. In 1990 there were 300 APBA sanctioned events; in 2009, there were 160. Last year APBA membership dropped below 4,000 for the first time ever—half the numbers of 20 years ago. Weber said that APBA must change current policies to reverse the trend: “Business as usual will implode in 10 to 15 years.”

Weber has repeatedly challenged APBA members to lower the barriers to racing. Some clubs are organizing driving schools and bringing new members into the sport. This grassroots effort complements the national APBA Driving School. Seattle Outboard Association reported that 30% of their entries come from their driving school and the Hydroplane and Raceboat Museum Junior boat building project. Region 10 is the only APBA region to report membership growth. It is no coincidence that the SOA Driving School has operated there for four years, along with the Junior Hydro project.
    Some 10 to 12 driving schools are scheduled in 2010.
    Weber reported other progress at the Annual Meeting Jan. 30th.

• APBA Junior Classes are actually growing. They make entry easier for youngsters by supplying propellers and selling a standard APBA Mercury engine. The other category to show steady growth is Vintage & Historic, in which owners may show and run restored older boats. Both categories emphasize the fun factor.

• The APBA Formula 4 Class will offer new tunnel boats with spec engines in 2011. It is expected to draw entry-level adult racers into the sport.

• The Pacific Offshore Powerboat Racing Association rejoins APBA in 2010. An Arizona event, Desert Storm, will bring pleasure-boat style Offshore boats together for high-speed competition.

• APBA welcomed the H1 Unlimited Series back in 2009. Series President Sam Cole said, "We're glad to back in APBA where we belong." One delightful outcome was the induction of former APBA President and U-1 driver Steve David of Lighthouse Point, Fla. into the APBA Hall of Champions Jan. 30th.
    In addition to Steve David, the following racers were inducted:

INBOARD: Dan Kanfoush of Niagara Falls, NY
    Tom Thompson of Cambridge, Maryland
    Ty Newton of Goodyear, Arizona

INBOARD ENDURANCE: Joey Cucci of Lake Havasu City, Arizona

JUNIOR CLASSES: Logan Sweeney of Delaware, Ohio

MODIFIED OUTBOARD: Rick Miller of Grove, Oklahoma
    Brian Palmquist of Diamond Lake, Illinois
    Tom Sutherland of Chelsea, Michigan

OPC: Jason Williams of Alta Loma, California
    Jay Fox of Bay City, Michigan

PRO: Jim Nilsen of Edgewood, Washington
    Sean McKean of Mabank, Texas

STOCK OUTBOARD: Joe Pater of St. Joseph, Michigan
    Edward Hearn of Valparaiso, Indiana
    Donny Allen of Menasha, Wisconsin

At the January 30th banquet, longtime member Dee Berghauer of Elm Grove, Wisconsin and legendary boatbuilder Ron Jones, Sr. of Kent, Washington were inducted into the APBA Honor Squadron. Both were recognized for years of service to the sport of power boat racing, especially in the area of safety. Steve David said, "If you've ever crashed in a capsule boat, you are alive because of Ron Jones, Sr."
    Although there are big challenges ahead for APBA, there is much to celebrate. The champions of 2009 were duly honored, and new champions will emerge in 2010.

586-773-9700

apbahq@apba-racing.com
    Last edited by B Walker; 02-01-2010, 08:53 PM.
    302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

Another press release I read Monday, from Boating Writers International, had this interesting nugget:

Moderated by BWI board member Michael Sciulla, the panel will discuss
      strategic changes that the boating industry needs to consider including, making
      boats more affordable, more fuel efficient and more relevant to a changing
      consumer demographic.
      “Recreational boat sales peaked in 1989 - a generation ago – just as Baby
      Boomers were hitting their peak earning years and before the advent of the
      Internet,” said Sciulla.
      “What worked well for the boating industry then is
      probably not the best prescription for the future,” he noted.
      hauenstein outboard team
      186-W * 28-C * 4-T * C-101

Comment

Originally posted by Haüenstein View Post
        Another press release I read Monday, from Boating Writers International, had this interesting nugget:

Moderated by BWI board member Michael Sciulla, the panel will discuss
        strategic changes that the boating industry needs to consider including, making
        boats more affordable, more fuel efficient and more relevant to a changing
        consumer demographic.
        “Recreational boat sales peaked in 1989 - a generation ago – just as Baby
        Boomers were hitting their peak earning years and before the advent of the
        Internet,” said Sciulla.
        “What worked well for the boating industry then is
        probably not the best prescription for the future,” he noted.
        Today’s youth are no longer interested in social interaction and camaraderie it’s sad fact yet true we are loosing an entire generation to the digital age. Good luck trying to get today’s youth interested in traveling thousands of miles back and forth across the country for bragging rights and “camaraderie”

My commnets above are a response to the statement below from the Monday Jan 1st Press Realease.

"The APBA Formula 4 Class will offer new tunnel boats with spec engines in 2011. It is expected to draw entry-level adult racers into the sport"

They better be well established adults with fat pockets!
        Last edited by HRTV; 02-03-2010, 12:58 PM.
        HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

youth

I think we've had the discussion about the "youth" before and it got heated last time so I won't bother venturing my observations and opinions again.
          Instead, I would issue a challenge to the outboard community.

Make a goal to attend a motorsport event in 2010 that is NOT Nascar or another boat racing category. Take particular note of the age of the participants, the culture, the awards/recognition, and the "dream" many of them offer. Compare what you see to outboard racing and draw your own conclusions as to why they thrive while we are on life support.

Nate

Comment

Originally posted by forshey99 View Post
            Make a goal to attend a motorsport event in 2010 that is NOT Nascar or another boat racing category. Take particular note of the age of the participants, the culture, the awards/recognition, and the "dream" many of them offer. Compare what you see to outboard racing and draw your own conclusions as to why they thrive while we are on life support.

Nate
            Nate,
            You are correct - Boatracing does not have the X games, or the Dew Tour or even a nationwide series like Supercross. We also do not have factory teams, etc. I do not think even at the highest levels (Champ, Unlimited, etc) are the drivers "Professionals". In that, I mean that is their job and that is all they do - drive race boats. We do not have that "Dream" level where you can race for a living.

While there is much we can learn from other sports, comparing small outboard racing to just about anything else is like comparing a backyard cornhole game with the NFL.
            Brian 10s

Comment

no correlation

Originally posted by Brian10s View Post
              Nate,
              You are correct - Boatracing does not have the X games, or the Dew Tour or even a nationwide series like Supercross. We also do not have factory teams, etc. I do not think even at the highest levels (Champ, Unlimited, etc) are the drivers "Professionals". In that, I mean that is their job and that is all they do - drive race boats. We do not have that "Dream" level where you can race for a living.

While there is much we can learn from other sports, comparing small outboard racing to just about anything else is like comparing a backyard cornhole game with the NFL.
              You've obviously have not attended any of the events to which I referred. The observations you stated were at best formed from a la-z-boy and what you saw on tv. If you would have attended the Dew Tour or any other event, you would have seen plenty of privateers and grass root competitors hauling their rigs behind the old S10 pickup truck and doing their own wrenching.. You dismiss the comparison based on a loosely associated point of view......don't they call that the straw man argument?.

Regardless of whether or not we offer this "dream", we must still compete against it.

Nate
              Last edited by forshey99; 02-03-2010, 01:37 PM.

Comment

The data seems specific to the APBA participation. I am curious how those numbers look when you add AOF, NBRA, and all of the others? Do we have a more comprehensive number on participants?
                Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian10s View Post
                  Ironically, there was a time when NFL players carried their own gear to the stadium and NBA players walked out to the bus in their uniforms rather than $2000 suits. Nothing starts at the top and much of what we see today was once the "backyard cornhole" game you referenced. Your anology was funny, but it embodies the obstacle we face..........................ourselves.

Nate

Comment

Originally posted by Sonny View Post
                    The data seems specific to the APBA participation. I am curious how those numbers look when you add AOF, NBRA, and all of the others? Do we have a more comprehensive number on participants?
                    Dare I touch this one..........Does anyone think that APBA, AOF and NBRA should all exist when, as Nate said early, we are on life support?

Someone should try and unite the front........

ok.....fire away.
                    Shawn Breisacher

Comment

Originally posted by 3rd Chance View Post
                      Dare I touch this one..........Does anyone think that APBA, AOF and NBRA should all exist when, as Nate said early, we are on life support?

ok.....fire away.
                      Didn't those other groups split off from APBA in the first place? If so why. and do the same conditions/percieved conditions that drove them away still exist?

"The Coffee Guy"
                      TEAM CAFFEINE
                      Cranked up and ready to Roll

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strengths (Corrie ten Boom)

"Cup of Joe? Not no mo! Kevs Coffee is the only way to go!" (John Runne 09)
                      " IF you can find a better cup of coffee... Kev will drink it!" (Michael Mackey 08)

Comment

Originally posted by forshey99 View Post
                        Ironically, there was a time when NFL players carried their own gear to the stadium and NBA players walked out to the bus in their uniforms rather than $2000 suits. Nothing starts at the top and much of what we see today was once the "backyard cornhole" game you referenced. Your anology was funny, but it embodies the obstacle we face..........................ourselves.

Nate
                        heck 2000$ dollar suits are not much any more j drivers race in THOUSAND dollar suits ALL THE TIME AND GET THEN DIRDY AS H**L

Comment

What this sport needs is a few big key sponsor to put there name on the event. If you look at all the main racing industries there is a big name promoter sponsor behind it. Being Sprint, Dew cup and Red Bull air races. You can take the Red Bull air races as a prime example. I know that these races have been going on for decades but in doing research really kind of fizzled out post WWII as a huge spectator sport. It took Red Bull as a big Sponsor to really tank something that was still being raced but not really being advertised into something i can watch on tv that I can see roughly once a week. I remember in the early 90's being able to turn on speed channel once a year and remember watch stock outboard racing from either california or arizona and remember saying that i wanted to do this and be on tv. We have a tv spot now but is very limited to only direct tv viewers and unsure how often it is played on the air. so maybe we need to do a little expanding onto regular cable as a new source of venue to gather people into what makes this so great. If the can nationally show mud bog racing then why can't the show outboard racing.
                          MJR Composites racing...cleveland division

Comment

Originally posted by Kev43V View Post
                            Didn't those other groups split off from APBA in the first place? If so why. and do the same conditions/percieved conditions that drove them away still exist?
                            Not really. Their history goes to NOA days.There was no mod in APBA at that time. When NOA folded APBA Mod was born. Some of us race all three organizations and and have a great time. I can say we always are able to meet our weekend expenses when we race with NBRA.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rd Chance View Post

ok.....fire away.
                              After 20 years of struggling Drags finally did it!

http://hydroracertv.com/?p=4823
                              HTML Code:

Comment

Working...
                              X