Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allow OMC restrictor in AX class to be resized ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mercguy View Post
    it's NOT that hard to figure out if the motor is "plugged" or not..............even audibly, you can tell the difference!!!!!!!
    I agree that completely plugged is easy to hear. I do not agree that partialy plugged will be as obvious. Just like I do not think you can tell about port size height etc. by seeing it race. UNLESS it is way out of the ball park. but that on the other hand is easily measured. although we only do that at nationals

Simple, if the person is caught with a "plugged" motor...............red card them!!! Bet that will deter the act!!!
    Seems we missed that oportunity twice. both with the Merc and the OMC. so then records set now in J would need to be either taken away. or mothballed. we do not seem to do either of those things.
    next best suggestion?

"The Coffee Guy"
    TEAM CAFFEINE
    Cranked up and ready to Roll

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strengths (Corrie ten Boom)

"Cup of Joe? Not no mo! Kevs Coffee is the only way to go!" (John Runne 09)
    " IF you can find a better cup of coffee... Kev will drink it!" (Michael Mackey 08)

Comment

• Boy, am I glad we don't have to deal with parity issues in Stock Outboard! We can concentrate on growing and promoting the sport!
      John Runne
      2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

• Parity Head!!

Originally posted by csh2z View Post
        Boy, am I glad we don't have to deal with parity issues in Stock Outboard! We can concentrate on growing and promoting the sport!
        I heard you were going to be appointed head of the 20ssh parity committee!! Have fun with that one!!

Comment

• the best parity head would be some one that has to be begged,conjoled or just plain beaten into the position. otherwise they are probably in it for the wrong reason. Kind of like it used to be for President....

"The Coffee Guy"
          TEAM CAFFEINE

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strengths (Corrie ten Boom)

" IF you can find a better cup of coffee... Kev will drink it!" (Michael Mackey 08)

Comment

• Originally posted by Tomtall View Post
            Just a poll for people racing in the AX classes.

Do you feel that the OMC restrictor used in the AX classes should be re-sized larger to have better parity within that class between the Mercury's and the OMC's ?

1. No leave the restrictor as is.

2. Yes - Allow a larger restrictor opening for parity in the class.
            This question and ensuing discussions and threads has opened my eyes to the never ending drama in stock outboard. We have Merc and OMC's in our trailer. Joey races AX and Amy will be racing AX after her birthday in February. What ever official decisions are made, if any, needs to be left alone for a while. This constant annual "change this change that" crap is not only mentally draining but also potentially financially draining. It is getting worse than the I.R.S.
            Certify cut suits, don't certify them. Round the sponsons, don't round them, plug the Merc, unplug the Merc, change class structure, eliminate classes, complain because clubs can't make any money because classes get cut and entries are down, tell us that one particular motor is our motor of choice even if we don't want it to be and handicap us because we choose a different motor, market and cater to the folks that can spend $8,000 or more per rig and don't worry about those who can't afford it.

Tomtall,...I am very happy that you posted this question. The replies and new threads that resulted from it has been a real eye opener.

There is also a huge concern about how do we market the sport. How do we market something we can't even keep consistant?

sigpic
            SIBLING RIVALRY RACING TEAM

Comment

• Ok I understand and see every point on this subject. But what is a guy suppose to do when they have spend every penny they have to get there kid in racing? My son has an omc and at the last race he had a 5 boat lead to only be beat by a Merc. So say they change it over the winter and then my kid is out of racing cause i can't afford to buy a brand new Merc. or Sidewinder? Why can't the restricter plate for the omc have a bigger whole to run closer to the Merc. or Sidewinder?

Comment

• J class

Mark Kroll,

just to clarify: the only legal engines in J are the Merc and the OMC. The SW is not legal in J.

Bill
                Support your local club and local races.

Bill Pavlick

I'm just glad I'm not Michael Mackey - BPIII

Comment

• what to do?

Originally posted by weldkroll View Post
                  Ok I understand and see every point on this subject. But what is a guy suppose to do when they have spend every penny they have to get there kid in racing? My son has an omc and at the last race he had a 5 boat lead to only be beat by a Merc. So say they change it over the winter and then my kid is out of racing cause i can't afford to buy a brand new Merc. or Sidewinder? Why can't the restricter plate for the omc have a bigger whole to run closer to the Merc. or Sidewinder?
                  Mark,

for starters your OMC sounds down on power, need to check that out.
                  2nd, go testing and play with motor location fore and aft on the boat, also play with kick out. 3rd, is the bottom of the boat true and flat? 4th, if you have lead play with it's location. 5th, not sure but it looked to me that Dakota's engine seemed low on the boat - is he running at max height?

Bill

PS - I know you have tried to go testing this year and the weather has not cooperated. i strongly suggest you try to go again this fall.
                  Support your local club and local races.

Bill Pavlick

I'm just glad I'm not Michael Mackey - BPIII

Comment

• Right now!

J class: Winning motor: Mercury
                    AX class: Winning motor: Mercury
                    A Stock class: Winning motor: Sidewinder
                    Formula A class: Winning motor: OMC (only motor???)

Is the above correct? (I have a dog in this fight and the above is what I've seen and think I understand!!!).

"Unplug" means throw away the restrictor plates???? Or open the exhaust?

Comment

• Parity

You know why we have so many parity issues? It's because we insist on trying to make a class run multiple engines due to saving old iron and saving money. That's fact. Will it change? Someday. When that day happens you will lose people. That's fact. BUT --- In the long run I do believe the sport will grow. It may take 5 years or more but a simpler format has to happen people.

Some of the best OPC racing and numbers I wittnessed first hand was in the late 70's and the 1980's. Why? because OMC had the small engine classes locked down with 45SST,60SST and the short lived 100SST. They also had some fishing engines running in Mini tunnel class. Mercury had the larger engine classes with SST120,SST140 and Champ/Formula 1. Then you had a chance to see OMC and Merc. duke it out together in Mod U. Large fields of boats at every race venue. Stepping stone classes from novice to professional with factory support from both camps. One engine manufacturer-One class. It worked. Then the factorys saw red and bailed. But the single engine/single class formate worked well.

Ron Hill - I like your class structure but it will not be recieved well unless the stock clubs put the Mod formula class on their race schedules. Then you have the whole crossover fee different class stigma that goes with it. Another reason to concider combining catagories but I don't think Mod is ready to join the stocker crowed. Just my thoughts.
                      Last edited by Tomtall; 09-21-2010, 07:22 PM.
                      Tom L.

Comment

• Water issue...............

Originally posted by Ron Hill View Post

Ron
                        Unplug is refering to allowing the water passage to the tuned pipe to remain 'stock' and not be 'plugged' as to allow no water to cool the pipe consequently overheating it and increasing power!

Hope all is well...........

Matt

Comment

• You got it on the prevailing motor part

The jury may be a little bit out on the Sidewinder, but I have a feeling the jury will have a conclusive verdict by the end of this weekend. Now that you put it down on black and white it looks like the OMC's are kind of SOL.

Originally posted by Ron Hill View Post
                          J class: Winning motor: Mercury
                          AX class: Winning motor: Mercury
                          A Stock class: Winning motor: Sidewinder
                          Formula A class: Winning motor: OMC (only motor???)

Is the above correct? (I have a dog in this fight and the above is what I've seen and think I understand!!!).

Moby Grape Racing
                          "Fast Boats Driven Hard"

Comment

• Who are the lucky drivers...
                            "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

• Originally posted by BP125V View Post
                              Mark,

for starters your OMC sounds down on power, need to check that out.
                              2nd, go testing and play with motor location fore and aft on the boat, also play with kick out. 3rd, is the bottom of the boat true and flat? 4th, if you have lead play with it's location. 5th, not sure but it looked to me that Dakota's engine seemed low on the boat - is he running at max height?

Bill

PS - I know you have tried to go testing this year and the weather has not cooperated. i strongly suggest you try to go again this fall.
                              Also put a test wheel on the motor. get you RPM. put the strongest motor someone will let you test in the water. set as nearly identical as possible. get the rpm. with the same test wheel. Then you will have a better idea where you stand as far as your motor. Although I would probably do it on both with and without the restrictor plate just for curiosity sake

"The Coffee Guy"
                              TEAM CAFFEINE

Comment

• Tom,Say it louder and often.

[QUOTE=Tomtall;166323]You know why we have so many parity issues? It's because we insist on trying to make a class run multiple engines due to saving old iron and saving money. That's fact. Will it change? Someday. When that day happens you will lose people. That's fact. BUT --- In the long run I do believe the sport will grow. It may take 5 years or more but a simpler format has to happen people.

Some of the best OPC racing and numbers I wittnessed first hand was in the late 70's and the 1980's. Why? because OMC had the small engine classes locked down with 45SST,60SST and the short lived 100SST. They also had some fishing engines running in Mini tunnel class. Mercury had the larger engine classes with SST120,SST140 and Champ/Formula 1. Then you had a chance to see OMC and Merc. duke it out together in Mod U. Large fields of boats at every race venue. Stepping stone classes from novice to professional with factory support from both camps. One engine manufacturer-One class. It worked. Then the factorys saw red and bailed. But the single engine/single class formate worked well.

Please post this on the other threads concerning our class structure, if you don't mind.
                                John Runne
                                2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

Working...
                                X