Clear All

Originally posted by matt mutz View Post
    do you get thrown out for having one [1] carb in fe class
    LMAO!
    Cheyney, you're the **** dude!
    28-R

Comment

No

[QUOTE=form-e one;155919]dave and others,,,, nothing to personel,,,, but seems you guys wanting to stiffel peoples creativeness,,,,, witch mods founded on,,, QUOTE]

Chenney,

I don't think Mod was created for what you say. Mod was created because Pro was getting to expensive for some folks. When Konig began to be the motor of choice some folks did not have a machine shop in their shop to work on them. Cranks were pressed, not forged, etc. So they created Modified Outboard. It gave all those guys a place to race the Merc's and such on gas. Much cheaper than Pro, yet you could still work on them in your gararge without special tools. All of the Mod engines back then were based off a fishing engine, or a stock class. Add pipes, allow porting, and a couple other things maybe. But they certainly did not intend to have parts on the engines that were not original. The roping plate was the exception I believe. I might be wrong on some of that history, but you get the jist. You could take off parts you didn't need, like the the starter, charging system, etc. But I really don't think it was intended to become just like Pro.

All you people complaining about this. Where are the big guys supposed to race ? You have no min weights in the class. Now the boats are 75 pounds and you put a 130 pound guy in it. And on top of all that you are allowing some serious mods to an already stable, well built engine that is available for next to nothing in junkyards. There is no way it should cost 10K to get into this class. And to be competitive you really need to spend a lot more than 10K if you are not able to do your own engine work. Why should that guy be punished ?
      Dave Mason
      Just A Boat Racer

Comment

here are some pics if ya dont know what we chatting about,, first 2 tim kurtz and then my version simple and cheep from parts readily avaible to anyone who can get on e-bay,,,,
        Attached Files

Comment

[QUOTE=Dave M;155928]
          Originally posted by form-e one View Post
          dave and others,,,, nothing to personel,,,, but seems you guys wanting to stiffel peoples creativeness,,,,, witch mods founded on,,, QUOTE]

I might be wrong on some of that history, but you get the jist. You could take off parts you didn't need, like the the starter, charging system, etc. But I really don't think it was intended to become just like Pro.
          Hi Dave:
          No offense, but when Lon Stevens came up with the FE as a local class it was supposed to be like PRO. It actually was intended to be included in PRO, but was never embraced as you have stated that PRO was going another direction. The original intent was to provide a place that crossflows could run and compete, using any fuel one could get through the carbs, and under the same bore and stroke rules as the then alky rules. The fact that loopers were allowed obviously has changed the direction and added complexity to the story. Since I haven't raced FE or DMOD is sometime, I will leave any further comments to the drivers. Just felt everyone needed to know the history.

Thanks,
          -Paul

Comment

to Jay Hay frm Matt Mutz,private message ? cant seem to make it work. the tech manual states 'NO ADDITIONAL' ,SO 4 CARBS IS OUT. IT MAKES NO REFFERANCE TO LESS THAN FACTORY. IT MAKES NO REFFERANCE TO AS FURNISHED,mounting dumby carbs is B.S.

Comment

Paul, wasn't the alky class origionally the Formula E? I remember when the late Dick Scopinich won in Formula E hydro with an engine Pete Kruszon built from parts from the JUNK pile. Pete had machinist Elly Langdon build a bluprinted 3 cyl Evinrude that John Schubert ran in FL and was running great in FOH when the L/U blew.

Comment

matt

the rule said u must use 3 conventional mounted carbs there nothing said they have to work so two dummy carbs is ok as long as the all meet the 1 .250 rule what u got is ok if u add 2 more

Comment

3 cyl carb rules

JAY the rules say no such thing regarding 3 cyl. ' no additional ' is all it says......

Comment

I am glad to hear from all you guys. But Dave has got a point,I am a 220# guy so C/sh dont work for me and I am a tinkerer in my garage, I do my own machine work and engine building, hence the mods, if I have to spend more money to compete in FE oor SE class I would have to stay at home and would you rather have me a a race or not ?? it is true speed cost money but lets get serious here, the mod guys dont have a huge number of drivers anywhere in the nation, I bet if you put all the mod drivers from all the santioning bodies you dont come up with over 600 if this many, why loose any drivers or potential boat racers to a rule where the expence of a class is way out of reach to a guy that wants to go to a race or even join our group?? I sure am glad the the NBRA tech commitiee, didnt change any rules in this class
                    Jeff

Comment

Mike,
                      You make a good point. But let's take a specific example. Like the vote to dump the Merc 15 (made at the Raleigh mtg). The vote carried. In my mind, I knew that by the time the next meeting (Seattle) came around that we would have the input from the membership and that it would most likely result in the rule being dumped. And, dump it we did. Still, there are many who feel strongly that the Merc should be dumped. Apparently, the majority of the owners of the Merc didn't share that opinion. That's why I we need a better means of polling the racer (active racer in that class!!!) as to what they see as the way to go.

When criticizing Stock or Mod or the J kingdom, it's helpful to be specific regarding what is causing heart burn. To their credit, the J Committee hasn't taken a position on the picklefork radius. I commend them. In the meantime, Stock, Mod/PRO, and UIM are all banging on their own drums - anyone listening?? huh??? A perfect example where a person ought to just choose whether they want to run around with a freaking skewer or round there sponson. And, if they're afraid of not being able to run in a UIM race then they ought to build it to the UIM rule and leave the rest of us alone.

Sorry if my "tone" may be offensive, it's not meant to be. I'm not talking "up" to someone or "down" to someone, merely across the table on subjects which I 'think' I'm familiar with. I'm no rookie... I've been dead-wrong before. So, when someone puts me in my place, I can deal with it.

Alex
                      Last edited by ram95; 05-02-2010, 07:12 PM. Reason: didn't express myself adequately - hope I did better.

Comment

old rules question

hi dave matt mutz here, the rules from 5-10 years ago,was there something in these rules that forbid front case mods like we see now?

Comment

POST the RULES

hi dave matt mutz here, the rules from 5-10 years ago,was there something in these rules that forbid front case mods like we see now?
                          5 or 10yrs ago is a "MANTRA" the rules are the same.

Post the RULES???
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by modifiedoutboard; 05-03-2010, 09:30 AM. Reason: ADDED
                          Anthony McCulloch
                          modifiedoutboard@hotmail.com

Some things never change
                          sigpic
                          They want it cheap

Comment

Some Answers

Matt, you will need to pull the rules from that era. From this you will need to interpret the gray area. Remember, in APBA, somebody actually called the chief inspector with a specific question regarding the front. it took a long time but it was decided then that if someone chose to run a modified front cover as indicated, it woul dbe legal currently. From this it was determined that something needed to be done to clean up that gray area that some have taken to the extreme. It boils down to whom was interpreting the rule at the time. No where in the rules does it say you can do the Mod specifically.

Mr. Stevens, thanks for the input. From a local class perspective I understand it was a Pro class. When the rules were written for APBA as a adopted Mod class is where i was referring to. Sorry for any misleading info there. I should be more specific.

I have helped build at least one Pro OMC 3 holer for 1100CCR. It was pretty fast. And had similar mods that are being currently employed today. These engines don't mind the Alkie run through them. Something to think about moving forward ?

All, remember this poll is for current drivers of the 850CC Mod class. Please don't vote unless you are a current participant in the classe of 850CCMH or 850CCMR. At the end of the poll these votes will not be counted.
                            Dave Mason
                            Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M View Post
                              Matt, you will need to pull the rules from that era. From this you will need to interpret the gray area. Remember, in APBA, somebody actually called the chief inspector with a specific question regarding the front. it took a long time but it was decided then that if someone chose to run a modified front cover as indicated, it woul dbe legal currently. From this it was determined that something needed to be done to clean up that gray area that some have taken to the extreme. It boils down to whom was interpreting the rule at the time. No where in the rules does it say you can do the Mod specifically.

Mr. Stevens, thanks for the input. From a local class perspective I understand it was a Pro class. When the rules were written for APBA as a adopted Mod class is where i was referring to. Sorry for any misleading info there. I should be more specific.

I have helped build at least one Pro OMC 3 holer for 1100CCR. It was pretty fast. And had similar mods that are being currently employed today. These engines don't mind the Alkie run through them. Something to think about moving forward ?

All, remember this poll is for current drivers of the 850CC Mod class. Please don't vote unless you are a current participant in the classe of 850CCMH or 850CCMR. At the end of the poll these votes will not be counted.
                              You will need to look at rules prior to 1997 "i think"
                              That was the first rule book I looked at.
                              Anthony McCulloch
                              modifiedoutboard@hotmail.com

Some things never change
                              sigpic
                              They want it cheap

Comment

All Done

From the Poll on here and BRF I have enough to say I probably know what the drivers want. Between that and the phone calls, and some Private messages.

After all this has taken place I can honestly say, it is no wonder the sport has declined in members. The rules state in one area you can't add or remove material, yet in the Tech rules it says you can do some. That leaves a lot of area to be interpreted by each inspector. Just a confusing read I guess.

So for all you guys wanting to modofy your front cover, have at it. It looks like the majority of the current drivers are in favor of it. I will continue to ask opnions at the races and should I get a different result, will attempt to write a proposal that does not confuse the heck out of anyone.

Anthony, you don't get a reply, I was not speaking to you in that post. Sorry. Best of luck to you. Maybe you could benefit from building a few front covers that like Tim has that will improve performance. Might sell a few, who knows. I still don't know what it would cost to purchase one.

Everyone have fun racing this year. And good luck.
                                Dave Mason
                                Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Working...
                                X