We need to save the sport.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ron & Phil

You both said it and I agree. We have to many classes. I think some of the 2 cylinder classes like 20ssh, CSH and 25ssh could be run together.
    Mark
    G-11
    125H
    When the green flag drops, the bull**** stops!!!!!!!!!!!
    Keep'em Sunny Side Up Boy's!

[

Comment

We need to save the sport

Race more is a given,same site is a very good idea (in the middle of nowhere is not very good) Selling someone on racing whatever in APBA, there is no bad idea,like all sales exposure ,exposure,exposure is the key, all adveretizing is good.
      As to Carl Kiefeier(however you spell his name)Was the best thing to ever happen to clamp on boat racing,and Mercury Marine was the worst.

Mercury had the perfect opportunity to make small engines in the 60's and 70's but chose to make only large ones and let the Jap's take over with dirt bikes ,motorcycles Generators outboards and now there burying General Motors and Ford.
      kEEP RACING
      pAT wRIGHT

Comment

Go back to Basics

Go back to A,B,C,D & J.
        10 Classes with Hydro & Runabout.
        20 Heats divided by 4 Heats per hour = 5 Hours of racing per day.
        Combine engines to fit in one of each of these classes.
        Run no class with less then 3 entries.

I've been out of racing for sometime now and do not wish to offend anyone,
        but you all need to keep it simple.

Kegs
        Kegs

Comment

Originally posted by Lights
          You both said it and I agree. We have to many classes. I think some of the 2 cylinder classes like 20ssh, CSH and 25ssh could be run together.
          once you race (or watch them) those classes Mark, you will find that combining them is not a good idea. It would be like combining the Busch cars with the Cup cars, big difference in speed. Remember we (APBA) have alot of classes, so that each type of driver and skill is accomodated. We have never raced for the spectatotors, but instead for ourselves and personal gratification. Maybe that should change? I dunno?
          Last edited by mercguy; 04-16-2006, 08:51 AM.
          Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mercguy
            once you race (or watch them) those classes Mark, you will find that combining them is not a good idea. It would be like combining the Busch cars with the Cup cars, big difference in speed. Remember we (APBA) have alot of classes, so that each type of driver and skill is accomodated. We have never raced for the spectatotors, but instead for ourselves and personal gratification. Maybe that should change? I dunno?
            Daren, I have seen them run just not together. Isn't the BSH and the 20ssh within a couple mph? I am looking at an old SO flyer that APBA put out. It said the BSH have a top speed of 63 mph and the 20SSH have a top speed of 63 mph. Why would they not be able to run together. It also states the top speed for CSH at 66 mph and the 25SSH at 67 mph. same Question for these two. I know the top speeds have changed a bit over the years. But that is all prop work isn't it? Why have 4 different classes when they are running within 0-1 mph of each other? for these 4 classes I think we could cut them down to 2 classes 20SSH/BSH and 25SSH/CSH.
            Last edited by Lights; 04-16-2006, 09:18 AM.
            Mark
            G-11
            125H

[

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Hill
              APBA has a Winter Nationals with 27 classes with racing from sun up to sun down.....wht if you only raced one class....?
              When you said "what if you only raced one class?"..who were you talking about?

Originally posted by Robert M Keogler
              Go back to A,B,C,D & J.
              10 Classes with Hydro & Runabout.
              This is EXACTLY what Tom Nuccio (looong time boatracer) was talking about last year in Jesup, GA. He says we have too many classes and we need to narrow it down. By narrowing it down, we have more time to race and more boats in each heat.

Originally posted by mercguy
              You're right, combining them isn't a good idea because of the speed difference. It's good that "each type of driver and skill would be accomodated", but maybe since CSH, 20ssH, and 25ssH are pretty close, we could eliminate one of those. I realize that we're going through a very slow motor transition stage, but is it really neccesary to have three classes that are this similar? By eliminating one of these, maybe the drivers from that class will disperse into one of the other two classes, creating more boats in each heat.
              I think that most of us have noticed the declining numbers of boats in each class. Could one of the problems be too many classes?

Another step in the right direction would be: have members appointed to the Advisory Board that was proposed during the Stock Outboard Category Meetings at the 2006 National Meeting.
              We need a long-term goal, and a plan to achieve that goal. If you don't have a plan, you don't know where you're going. And it seems to me that our sport does not know where its going at this point.

Allie Runne
              The Runne's: Born with plastic sporks in their mouths.

Comment

Allie please read my last post. It cam right from a APBA SO flyer.
                Mark
                G-11
                125H

[

Comment

I don't disagree with you. My dad and I were actaully talking about the same exact thing right before each of us posted.

Allie Runne

Comment

Funny we were probably typing at the same time.
                    Mark
                    G-11
                    125H

[

Comment

Yup, we were because when I had made my reply, the last post was by Darren. And after I made my post, saw yours, I said "Hey, Dad, that's what we were talking about in the shop!"

Comment

Daren, I have seen them run just not together. Isn't the BSH and the 20ssh within a couple mph? I am looking at an old SO flyer that APBA put out. It said the BSH have a top speed of 63 mph and the 20SSH have a top speed of 63 mph. Why would they not be able to run together. It also states the top speed for CSH at 66 mph and the 25SSH at 67 mph. same Question for these two. I know the top speeds have changed a bit over the years. But that is all prop work isn't it? Why have 4 different classes when they are running within 0-1 mph of each other? for these 4 classes I think we could cut them down to 2 classes 20SSH/BSH and 25SSH/CSH.
                        In reg. 10 we don't run BSH or 25SSH and we still have a full day of racing . i'm still faily new but to me i would not be happy if they just drop a class because there's others with the same speed ...then have to buy all new motors, props.etc......maybe you could cut down on some of the classes that run same motors just restricted..like the omc 15 run in like 20 classes....

Dave 68R

Comment

Originally posted by dt 01
                          In reg. 10 we don't run BSH or 25SSH and we still have a full day of racing . i'm still faily new but to me i would not be happy if they just drop a class because there's others with the same speed ...then have to buy all new motors, props.etc......maybe you could cut down on some of the classes that run same motors just restricted..like the omc 15 run in like 20 classes....

Dave 68R
                          I don't race. But I don't think that I'd be happy if there's only a few boats racing in one class, when you can have a bunch more boats in each heat by cutting the down the amount of classes.
                          ..if that makes any sense.
                          allie

Comment

that might work........
                            Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by acr924
                              When you said "what if you only raced one class?"..who were you talking about?

This is EXACTLY what Tom Nuccio (looong time boatracer) was talking about last year in Jesup, GA. He says we have too many classes and we need to narrow it down. By narrowing it down, we have more time to race and more boats in each heat.

You're right, combining them isn't a good idea because of the speed difference. It's good that "each type of driver and skill would be accomodated", but maybe since CSH, 20ssH, and 25ssH are pretty close, we could eliminate one of those. I realize that we're going through a very slow motor transition stage, but is it really neccesary to have three classes that are this similar? By eliminating one of these, maybe the drivers from that class will disperse into one of the other two classes, creating more boats in each heat.
                              I think that most of us have noticed the declining numbers of boats in each class. Could one of the problems be too many classes?

Another step in the right direction would be: have members appointed to the Advisory Board that was proposed during the Stock Outboard Category Meetings at the 2006 National Meeting.
                              We need a long-term goal, and a plan to achieve that goal. If you don't have a plan, you don't know where you're going. And it seems to me that our sport does not know where its going at this point.

Allie Runne
                              well 20SSH and CSH are not really that close to each other (4MPH difference) other than they are both Yamato classes. You can't eliminate a Yamato class, as they are the biggest classes out there. I think the 25SSH will die on its own eventually (unfortunately also for the Mercs). I think Dana nailed it quite awhile back about the class restructuring.
                              Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

"But that is all prop work isn't it?"

...............no, I believe it is the improvements of the boats being built today. Hell, alot of people are going back to the props that were buit way back then..........
                                Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X