Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by David Weaver
    but I agree with some of what Racer X says and I believe that he is being constructive with his thoughts.

Sorry, I had to pause as a bolt of lightening just hit by my keyboard.

I have been a long time supporter of APBA (31 years a card carrying member). But more and more, I am coming to the conclusion that the goal of a membership organization cannot be just to keep the organization alive. The organization must advance the cause of its members and member clubs.

I have not given up on APBA, as I believe that there is more good than bad still. But, I can understand why so many have gone looking for alternatives.

I believe that the leadership has an opportunity to improve its standing with the membership as a whole. And to increase the quantity and quality of communications. For instance, what is the real financial condition of APBA? Is the organization so strapped by recent legal battles (and legal bills) that its financial viability is threatened? I was told at the PRO Commission meeting that we could not access fully what on paper is a healthy marketing budget. The funds had been "loaned" for other purposes. What gives exactly?

I would prefer to have the whole story from APBA even if it contains a lot of bad news. At least from that starting point, "we" could make informed decisons about "our" future. Maybe this information is readily available and someone can point me to it.

I hope APBA is around for a long time to come. It would take a lot of work to replace the infrastructure that we have now (and that we take for granite). But, the time may soon come when it makes sense to start anew.

David says "(and that we take for granite). "

now David, Dan already warned us about our gramer and spelin! (must have been that bolt of lighting!)
    Last edited by mercguy; 04-14-2006, 01:58 PM.
    Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

As one who has personally used APBA insurance after breaking my leg in an OSY accident, I would like to say a public thank you to Howie Nichols and Lou for helping me out and to APBA and K&K Insurance for treating me like a king and getting me healed up so I could race again.

Doug McAlarney
      APBA Region 5 Stock Activities Chairman

Comment

Originally posted by Lights
        What size boats be it hydro's or runabouts. Would be best for lets say 16 year olds?
        I think Pat Gleason and the Reg10 HARM project members are the best to answer that question! I prefer a smaller boat, where as everyone else is going bigger.........its a size thing!
        Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

For those who are interested, and like me do not know the cost involved in putting on a race, below is what Region 5 race organizer George Koheler told me goes into putting on an APBA Region 5 race.

Doug McAlarney
          APBA Region 5 Stock Activites Chairman
          ---------------------------------------------------------

THE MAJOR COSTS IN PUTTING ON
          AN APBA SANCTIONED RACE.

ON LINE, APBA SANCTION 350
          STK,MOD, PRO, J, SLT INSURANCE 1816
          TO INCLUDE OPC CATEGORY 467

RACE SANCTION FLYERS 200
          OPC DIVER EXPENSE 530
          OFFICIALS ROOM EXPENSE 300 - 700
          REGION 5 EQUIPMENT TRAILER- RENTAL 200 - 250
          PRINTING EXPENSE 125 - 200
          HAULING/FUEL EXPENSE 150 - 300
          SEPTIC RENTAL 150 - 300
          EMT/AMBULANCE EXPENSE NO CHARGE - 1200

"MAJOR" EXPENSE TOTALS $4288 - 6313
          ENTRIES @ $35 TO BREAK EVEN 123 - 180

AS YOU CAN SEE THE RACE SITE NEGOTIATOR PLAYS AN INTEGRAL
          ROLE IN DETERMINING THE FINANCIAL OUTCOME OF ANY EVENT.
          THUS, I HAVE CERTAINLY COME TO APPRECIATE THE JOB PAUL
          HOOTEN HAS DONE IN NEGOTIATING "FREEBIES" AND SPONSOR
          MONEY. WITHOUT HIS SKILL AND DETERMINATION AT SECURING
          "PROPER" RACE SITES, THE COSTS INVOLVED WOULD MAKE IT
          FINANCIALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO PUT ON RACES IN REGION 5.

Comment

Perspective

For those interested in finding some answers to the posted questions...call the APBA HQ and ask for a copy of the 2006 budget. They will send you one. I got one a few months ago.

You will see budgets from 2003, 2004 and 2005.

It will become more apparent as to why the organization can and can't do certain things.

As Darren has pointed out, APBA is run by members...who are volunteering their spare time to do whatever they can for boat racing. No one is getting paid to market the sport...or even each category. It's up the members of each category to do what they can.

In the long run, that's a terrible model.

For real growth, it needs to be run like a business. Categories need to be sold, events need to be sold and marketed.

For example...it could be the the "Gatorade Stock Outboard Series" or the "Klotz Pro Racing Series"

It's either that or pay someone at HQ full time money to be an advocate for racing. Find locations, find sponsors at locations, solicit input from motor manufacturers, etc....

You can't have average Joe (like me) work 40 hours a week...then try to market his/her racing club. It's not a job...it's supposed to be our hobby. Pay someone to do the dirty work. 90% of us just want to race...and that's what we're doing and that's why the sport is in the condition it's in.

I produced the Stock Outboard Promotional video that was shown at the National meeting. Didn't do it in my spare time or as a favor. It's my business.

And more business thinking is what's needed.

D.

Comment

Who is APBA? It is us the racers. We all have a vested interest in running this organization.

Anyone of us can run for office. Tell us what you would do if you were President, what would you do if you were on the BOD? Run for office, get your friends to run.

Why is it that most of the same people have been running our organization for the past 20 plus years?

How much do you think these guys spend out of their pocket to help run our organization? I can tell you this, for Donny and I to go to the National meeting this past winter cost us almost the price Gary Lewis’s 20 boat he has for sale. Now you tell me which I would rather have. 4 days of meetings or one of the fastest 20 boats in the country. Hell I’m not rich and it puts a dent in our pocket to go to the meetings.

If you don’t like what is going on get involved. Not saying you can’t ask questions.

How far do you think your 200.00 memberships & sanction & insurance money will go? Monthly magazine, rule book, highpoints, running the office, insurance……

Want to know what our president does for us, call him. He isn’t hiding from us.

It is up to us to recruit. Just like it is a high school coach’s responsibility & his players to recruit for their team. They certainly don’t leave it up to the school board to recruit.
              Last edited by Big Don; 04-14-2006, 02:18 PM.
              "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

Dana

I can't tell you how many times I have had to say to run are club like a busn. and it has worked great

Comment

Originally posted by mercguy
                  the MORE APPROPRIATE question is "what do you do for the APBA"!!!!!!!!! If you are so upset with the way APBA does things.....leave...it is as simple as that...........or, if you can do a better job, then form your own organization and do things as you see fit. As you can see the question "what does APBA do for me" really pisses me off along with the "others" that continuously condemn the APBA! There is a reason APBA has been around so long and will continue to do so.

Hey guys it all seems very simple to me, if you take a look at the APBA PWC web site they have a product that sells to main stream America, we don’t! We build our own boats in backyard sheds and some of us even build our own motors from scrap that is left over behind old burn down marinas.

Stock Outboard racing is basically still where NASCAR was back in the 60’s when the good old boys from Alabama and Tenn. ran moonshine in the back woods of the south.

We don’t have a product that the general public can relate to or buy off the showroom floor like a PWC or Shifter Kart. People tend to follow what they know and most people still have no idea what a racing boat is.

I could leave home right now and pull a open Pro trailer just 30 miles north of my home on route 95 north and pull into the first rest stop and have 20 people come over and ask me what is that?

My point is that no one is to blame it is just the nature of our sport that it is not mainstream therefore will never be popular with main stream America where all the money is.

Stepping down off soap box:
                  HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

[QUOTE=dholt]For real growth, it needs to be run like a business. Categories need to be sold, events need to be sold and marketed.

For example...it could be the the "Gatorade Stock Outboard Series" or the "Klotz Pro Racing Series"

It's either that or pay someone at HQ full time money to be an advocate for racing. Find locations, find sponsors at locations, solicit input from motor manufacturers, etc....
                    QUOTE]

I like your idea. I think the APBA should hire someone like Dan Lawrence full time.

Comment

[QUOTE=DougMc]
                      Originally posted by dholt
                      For real growth, it needs to be run like a business. Categories need to be sold, events need to be sold and marketed.

QUOTE]

I like your idea. I think the APBA should hire someone like Dan Lawrence full time.

"I like your idea. I think the APBA should hire someone like Dan Lawrence full time.[/"

............to do what, buy and sell race boats/motors at a loss????? Sorry Dan, just f-in with ya!
                      Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Admin
                        Hey guys it all seems very simple to me, if you take a look at the APBA PWC web site they have a product that sells to main stream America, we don’t! We build our own boats in backyard sheds and some of us even build our own motors from scrap that is left over behind old burn down marinas.

Stock Outboard racing is basically still where NASCAR was back in the 60’s when the good old boys from Alabama and Tenn. ran moonshine in the back woods of the south.

We don’t have a product that the general public can relate to or buy off the showroom floor like a PWC or Shifter Kart. People tend to follow what they know and most people still have no idea what a racing boat is.

I could leave home right now and pull a open Pro trailer just 30 miles north of my home on route 95 north and pull into the first rest stop and have 20 people come over and ask me what is that?

My point is that no one is to blame it is just the nature of our sport that it is not mainstream therefore will never be popular with main stream America where all the money is.

Stepping down off soap box:
                        my thoughts are that our type of boat racing really has never been "main streamed"......................is that what the majority wants now??? I think if that were to happen, things would get a whole lot more expensive???
                        Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Funny man Daren

Take a look at the link below:

http://www.apbaracing.com/photo_gallery.html

This is what young people want ! come on guys lets be real, what sells is the sights and sounds of a jam packed day with bands and lots of young girls etc. You would be real hard pressed to make a young 19 year old choose between racing a PWC or ASH I mean come on we just dont have the program to attraction the 19-20 year old guys that like fast music and fast cars. Our program is slow and boring!
                          HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Funny man Daren

Take a look at the link below:

http://www.apbaracing.com/photo_gallery.html

This is what young people want ! come on guys lets be real, what sells is the sights and sounds of a jam packed day with bands and lots of young girls etc. You would be real hard pressed to make a young 19 year old choose between racing a PWC or ASH I mean come on we just dont have the program to attraction the 19-20 year old guys that like fast music and fast cars. Our program is slow and boring!
                            "Our program is slow and boring!" Boy Dan, you must not have seen or watched a PWC race. There have been at a couple of Reg12 races I attended and let me tell you, they are BORING AS HELL! Watching them go around the course for 30mins, not knowing who is in the lead anymore, not THAT is BORING!!!!!!! Atleast "our" crashes are exciting (sorry to say), compared to when the PWC's "fall off", no blowovers, etc............

oh well, off my soap box now..............................got lots of packing to do! I will let the "pros" figure the problems out and solve them......
                            Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Hey Daren Im lost also I dont have the answer.

Smashing my soap box:
                              HTML Code:

Comment

Hey Daren Im lost also I dont have the answer.

Smashing my soap box:
                                by the way, WTF is a "soap box"?????????
                                Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X