Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engines: What’s the plan moving forward for stock outboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plus some of us are a lot more adept at cheating with efi than with a carb! I mean I’m sure the apba will required a sealed ecu.

Comment

Remapping an outboard ECU is not as easy as you think and not cheap to do! I looked into doing it when I had my Evinrude ETEC 50. The current version of the Mercury 20 4 Stroke is a stand alone platform from what I have seen so far, therefore I do not see anyone doing any computer remapping. Where as on the ETEC the 40, 50 and 60 were the same block and there were gains to be made through ECU remapping, I was told up to 80 HP. With that said, the remap would not give you more top end, only more acceleration. Then you have to bypass the rev limiter. When I was playing with propping on my ETEC I could not underprop because it would hit the rev limiter. What the EFI and ECU did allow though was more prop and pulled much harder than the carbed version of the motor. Mind you, that was a 2 stroke, 4 strokes are a different animal.

Comment

Originally posted by deeougee View Post
        Remapping an outboard ECU is not as easy as you think and not cheap to do! I looked into doing it when I had my Evinrude ETEC 50. The current version of the Mercury 20 4 Stroke is a stand alone platform from what I have seen so far, therefore I do not see anyone doing any computer remapping. Where as on the ETEC the 40, 50 and 60 were the same block and there were gains to be made through ECU remapping, I was told up to 80 HP. With that said, the remap would not give you more top end, only more acceleration. Then you have to bypass the rev limiter. When I was playing with propping on my ETEC I could not underprop because it would hit the rev limiter. What the EFI and ECU did allow though was more prop and pulled much harder than the carbed version of the motor. Mind you, that was a 2 stroke, 4 strokes are a different animal.
        Who said anything about a remap. Everything can be tweaked, you could run a piggyback to manipulate what the ecu sees, you can manipulate something as simple as a engine temperature reading by adding inline resistors this can effectively lean or richen up the fuel mix. Heck you could gut the stock case and install a new programable board inside ( sub 400usd) . You can remove quarts crystals in the ecu and replace them to overclock and ecu and raise the rev limiter.

Like I said, there are always ways. But a sealed ecu will likely be mandated and would be for the best.

edit: I don’t mean the above as a stand offish or defensive. Just saying if there’s not rules on the books to mandate a stock sealed ecu then you could really have some fun. But that would just leave the speed in the hands of those willing to pay for it once again.
        Last edited by Albert; 11-29-2020, 10:32 AM.

Comment

I’ll try and get this back on track.
          Here is the photo mentioned above . 338D4EBF-53C1-4C9A-9AF5-802010E8C498.jpeg

Comment

I'm glad I was way wrong on the price. Now it sounds like a huge win for SO racing. I wouldn't think twice about a brand new Merc with no carb or points to mess with. And being that I don't have anyone to help me at the races I could start the thing myself.....that would be huge for me instead of having to rely on other racers who are busy with their own boats. When can we start...?

Comment

• deeougee
              deeougee commented
              Editing a comment
              Exactly, you can get it with electric start if you want. I would. I’m pretty sure Tom Smith won the DSH Nationals with electric start on one of his 44’s.

Deeougee: I was the first guy to run electric start on the 44XS......1998 nationals at Bakersfield, Tom I think won running pull start. I finished 2nd. Dangit!

Comment

• modracer7b
              modracer7b commented
              Editing a comment
              My brother Kenny Rosado ran electric start on his Formula E from around 98 to 05 when he retired and was pretty dominant in the class. And the weight made more of a difference in the Formula E as there was no minimum weight in the class, but the electric start was just so much easier.

The D class is way out of my skill level as I am a novice, heck if I weighed less I'd be thinking about an A hydro. But it sure would be great to be able to do my own starts in 20ssh or 300ssh.

Comment

Just used as a reference to let people know engines with e-start are competitive because they run a larger flywheel.

Comment

I would love to see another Mercury D stock motor in APBA....at some point Alex will not be able (I bet) get two stroke Tohatsu motors into the country. As a side note, I run my D motor with electric start.....

Comment

Any news on how this test session went ? I read a brief article on the throttled fb page that I was able to see without a fb account. But I’m interested if those in the know could provide any more info.

Comment

Working...
                  X